Options

Automatig geotagging doesnt'work

KenanoffKenanoff Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 25, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Hi,
I have uploaded some photos in a gallery. They were geotagged on my computer and the GPS data is in the exif.
However the "Map This" button was not on the gallery. What was needed is to go to each photo individually > Edit Geography and there just press "Save" The location data was already there on the page.
So I did this for two of the gallery photos, but you can see that the others are not shown on the map, although the location data exist.
I can do this individually (go to edit geography and press save) for small galleries, but not for big ones. And this was definitely not needed before, I have uploaded other photos and the gps data was correctly recognized.

Comments

• Options
    KenanoffKenanoff Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2009
    So after around half an hour I saw six other photos to appear on the map. Does that mean, that the gps data is processed more slowly than other and we just have to wait?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Kenanoff wrote:
    So after around half an hour I saw six other photos to appear on the map. Does that mean, that the gps data is processed more slowly than other and we just have to wait?
    It just means that everything gets indexed, and indexing takes time - depends on lots of factors..... thanks.
  • Options
    SkippermarkSkippermark Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It just means that everything gets indexed, and indexing takes time - depends on lots of factors..... thanks.

Editing a second time to say that customer support confirmed a bug where if you don't have a caption on a photo, the geocode info may not show. I added some text, and it displayed correctly right away.
    =====

Editing to say that a couple minutes after sending this, all the pictures except for 1 appeared on the map. Whoo hooo. I guess it can just take some time if the servers are busy.

Original message below:
    =====
    Thanks Andy for the info. Is it reasonable or normal for it to take several hours or more for the pictures to appear on the map?

I uploaded some test photos early this morning (5 hours ago), and like the OP, they are slowly starting to appear on the map, one so far, but 9 others are still waiting.

When I signed up a couple days ago, they would appear within a couple minutes. A friend who told me about the site is experiencing the same thing.

Thanks!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2009
    I spoke to one of the programmers the other day and he said that it is actually because the system needs to see that the photo has updated. The caption thing is the easiest way to do it and is the one that we suggest. I thought it was a requirement but it turns out that it is not. We are working to get it fixed as it should not require that step. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com