FLD filters and digital cameras

Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Cameras
I've been having some trouble with getting the correct white balance when shooting under energy saving lights, the ones that are becoming more and more popular in the UK. There's always a greenish tint that I find rather difficult to remove, even if shooting RAW and then fiddling about later in Lightroom.

In my quest to neutralize the evil green tint, I've discovered Magenta FLD filters. These were apparently used in the film era to neutralize the green tint that's causing me grief. Before I go out and buy some, does anybody know if this affects works on digital cameras? Wouldn't it confuse the auto-white balance sensor even more?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    what camera do you have?

Many cameras allow you to not only adjust color temperature but TINT. Tint refers to green - magenta. Adjust you WB towards magenta. I has worked for me just fine.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    There's no telling about the filter as there are mnay different renditions of flourescent lights and, because they have different coatings on the tubes, each seems to emit a differerent color.

I would venture to bet that the best solution would be to find a good and reliable gray card then shoot a frame of it each time the light changes (i.e., when you move from one room to another). Use that frame in post to set the WB for all the frames taken under similar conditions. Shooting the gray card takes only a couple of seconds and can save all kinds of heartburn/heartache later.
  • Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I've managed to solve the white balance issue. I have a small white reflector that I use to set the white balance. Then I go to the white balance shift and push it quite severely towards the reds and for each 2 notches towards the red I move one notch towards the magenta (i.e. a 2:1 ratio of reds to magenta).

That gives me the result I'm after. So no need for an FLD filter after all!