Sligo Creek (Silver Spring, MD)

travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Landscapes
It has been raining in the DC-area for the past 4 days & wanted to see what type of fall foilage shots I could capture. I recently purchased a Cokin P system with a ND8 GND. Both were shot with my Rebel XSi, 24-105L, mirror lockup, manual focus & both B+W CPL & Cokin ND8. I'm looking for feedback & suggestions from the seasoned vet DGrinners as this was my first time using GND's!!! Thanks in advance...

684558115_Dy6Nw-L.jpg

684558879_RYifc-L.jpg
Travis M. Chance
twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
sitefacebook

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Hi Travis, you did a GREAT job! I wouldn't have known you were using a grad filter, so that's probably speaking well about your use of them.

Nice soft water here and bright colors. Was it still overcast when you went? I find that moving water is best that way, to minimize glare.

I can't think of a better way to take advantage of so much rainy weather. thumb.gif
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Schmoo:

It was raining & cold as hell! It was a fun experience - at first I was trying to balance using an umbrella & remembered that I had an Op/Tech rainsleeve in my bag (this made it much easier). This was my first time using a grad & I wasn't sure how'd they turn out. Only slight contrast & saturation adjustments in CS4. I hated getting in the creek for a few of the shots but I think it was worth it - any advice on what I could've done better would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I love your 365 gallery (I checked it out a few weeks back)!!!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hey Travis- beautiful pictures!!
    Just to clarify were you using a graduated neutral density filter or a solid ND filter? I am asumming it was a solid 8 stop filter to allow for longer exposure times.
    Using a grad filter in that scenario would be difficult....
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Yes, I combined a B+W CPL & a Cokin Graduated Grey ND8 filter. It didn't seem dfficult to use but then again it was my first time so I had no previous reference point. I was on amazon last night looking at Cokin solid ND filters - any suggestions?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook