First attempt at off-camera lighting

HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I finally got around to working with off-camera lighting. I have radio triggers coming, but got impatient and set up a second tripod with my off-camera flash cable (all three feet of it) and spent most of the afternoon and evening playing around with it.

I'm pretty pleased with my results -- it helps that my model doesn't look anywhere close to her 70 or 80 years of age! Unfortunately there is detail in the original size images that you can't even see in these huge versions. In the original size pictures she actually has tiny, handpainted eyelashes above and below her eyes, but you can't really see them here.

This was all shot with a 580EX II on a tripod three feet or less from my 5DmkII and 24-70mm f/2.8L. I shot tethered to my laptop and controlled the camera and manually adjusted focus using the Canon utilities to zoom in on the live view (unlike the LCD, the utilities allow you to move the zoom area, so you don't need to disrupt the composition). I shot without a memory card, dropping the pictures into a folder and set up Lightroom to auto-import so I was able to check and adjust my results and focus immediately.

Critique is more than welcome!

#1)
685421758_zDHRW-X3-4.jpg

#2)
685422581_Tz8WF-X3-4.jpg

#3)
685422991_G9sbk-X3-4.jpg

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Look great to me... I really like #3
  • woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    They look great to me. Good rich color and sharp as a tack. I might have gone for just a touch more DOF on #1, but that's just a personal preferance. I haven't tried shooting tethered yet but imagine it gives you much more feedback more quickly. Nice work.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
  • HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    woellerd wrote:
    They look great to me. Good rich color and sharp as a tack. I might have gone for just a touch more DOF on #1, but that's just a personal preferance. I haven't tried shooting tethered yet but imagine it gives you much more feedback more quickly. Nice work.

Thanks! The funny thing about shooting tethered is that it's so easy -- once you set the composition you can blast through all sorts of combinations of aperture and shutter. I just wish I could access the camera's menus and control the flash power from there too, then I'd truly be an armchair photographer!

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    Look great to me... I really like #3

Thanks, that one's my favorite too -- I keep thinking that #2 is a little cool, but that one is my least favorite of the three as well -- too flat and documentary while the first pose (the first I composed too) has depth to it.

The third, I feel, makes good use of negative space and curvature in the composition. At the same time I worry that it's a bit too abstract and can't stand on its own without the context one of the first two images provide. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Hi Tom,

I like your lighting effects and general approach with these shots. Personally, I'd like to see greater DOF so that the entire image is sharp, but good work overall.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.