Options

Frames, sorta of.

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited July 21, 2005 in Technique
I'm wondering how you go about getting a frame onto a picture and still be able to make it print normal sizes.

What I'm talking about is something like Andy has, the drop shadow with his business name on it. I'm wanting to do that to my prints but with a title for the print and my name. I'm having trouble getting it to to print. I go to crop it and it usually goes and cuts off of it off.

If that didn't make any sense please let me know and I'll try to explain it alittle better.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 10, 2005
    No one?
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2005
    Instead of cropping, resize to the size of the print you would like.

PS CS: image> image size

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2005
    Instead of cropping, resize to the size of the print you would like.

PS CS: image> image size

Tim
    That didn't work either, when uploaded to mpix.com it still crops half the picture.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2005
    I'm wondering how you go about getting a frame onto a picture and still be able to make it print normal sizes.

What I'm talking about is something like Andy has, the drop shadow with his business name on it. I'm wanting to do that to my prints but with a title for the print and my name. I'm having trouble getting it to to print. I go to crop it and it usually goes and cuts off of it off.

If that didn't make any sense please let me know and I'll try to explain it alittle better.

you mean, you want the border, drop shadow, and sig etc to print ?
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you mean, you want the border, drop shadow, and sig etc to print ?
    Yea, I want to be able to name the print. The drop shadow doesn't really matter, but I want to be able to add a border and put a name in the center and have it print.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    Here we go. I used Photoshop Elements 2 for this.

This is "a" way of doing it. It may not be 'the' way of doing it.
    It's really just simple math. If you want your print to be 8x10 with a quarter inch
    border, when you crop, make the picture size 7.5 x 9.5 proportion.

46061002.jpg

46061003.jpg

After you do your post work, you'll want to make the picture 7.5 inches by
    9.5 inches (image size) Remember, do your changes (brightness/contrast,
    sharping, hue/sat) before resizing.

46062424.jpg

46061004.jpg

Good. Now you'll want to change the canvas size. Change the boxes to inches, and un-check relative.

46061005.jpg

At this point type in the size you want.

46061006.jpg

Note: The color in the back (the two little boxes) will be the color of your border.

46061007.jpg

Using the text tool, add your info, move it where you want it, and you're done.

46061008.jpg

I hope this helps.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Here we go. I used Photoshop Elements 2 for this.

This is "a" way of doing it. It may not be 'the' way of doing it.
    It's really just simple math. If you want your print to be 8x10 with a quarter inch
    border, when you crop, make the picture size 7.5 x 9.5 proportion.

I hope this helps.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2005
    Davev, thanks for the help. That worked perfectly. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Focus PocusFocus Pocus Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Thanks
    Newbie here. . . first post. Hey thanks for making this technique so clear! I've been wondering how to do this also. Much appreciated!

-Richard
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    No problem guys, glad I could help.
    dave.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Davev, need your help again
    [font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've got a eagle photo I wan to print in 8 x 10 but I want to add a large enough bottom to the picture to add the title of the print and my name and a copy right. I don't want anything else added to the photo other then this bottom border. How can I do about doing this and still stay in the 8 x 10 at 300dpi range when I crop it? [/font]
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    [font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've got a eagle photo I wan to print in 8 x 10 but I want to add a large enough bottom to the picture to add the title of the print and my name and a copy right. I don't want anything else added to the photo other then this bottom border. How can I do about doing this and still stay in the 8 x 10 at 300dpi range when I crop it? [/font]
    Follow Dave's instructions for the smaller border, with one additional step. If you want a 1/4 in border on the top and sides and a 1/2 in border on the bottom then you would make your initial crop 7.25x9.5. Then make your canvas size 7.75 x 10. This will give you a 1/4 in border with a centered picture. Then go through the canvas size dialog again, but this time check relative and add 0.25 in and click the up arrow in the anchor diagram box - this will only add the 0.25 in to the bottom. If you want a larger bottom then just change the sizes to your needs.

For a detailed description of this please go to http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGalleries/Gallery%20Frame%20Effect/GalleryFrameEffect.htm

Regards,
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Follow Dave's instructions for the smaller border, with one additional step. If you want a 1/4 in border on the top and sides and a 1/2 in border on the bottom then you would make your initial crop 7.25x9.5. Then make your canvas size 7.75 x 10. This will give you a 1/4 in border with a centered picture. Then go through the canvas size dialog again, but this time check relative and add 0.25 in and click the up arrow in the anchor diagram box - this will only add the 0.25 in to the bottom. If you want a larger bottom then just change the sizes to your needs.

For a detailed description of this please go to http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGalleries/Gallery%20Frame%20Effect/GalleryFrameEffect.htm

Regards,
    All I want is a bottom boarder, nothing around the photo. I want to be able to add my title and copyright info. I'll try to mess around with what you have said.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks guys I got it.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks for helping out Steve.
    dave.

• Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Saying wave.gifbefore I jump in......

This is funny, I just called my dad and told him I'd be over Saturday so he could teach me how to do this, but I found what I needed already, thanks:D
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb