Options

Lens construction

cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited October 20, 2009 in Cameras
I don't know where to put this, so please move the thread if another forum is more appropriate.

This has probably been discussed before, but I'm still new to this stuff, so please forgive me if it's a dead horse. I'm very curious about the engineering and optics behind photography. I'm an EE and I understand the basics of how the body works and records images, etc, but the lenses... not so much. Does anyone have a good tutorial about how a modern lens is physically built?

I understand the basic concepts of focal lengths, apertures, etc, but am just curious how a few things really work. Like, where is the aperture, physically? I don't understand how a highly focused beam of light (say, f/22) and a much more spread out beam (f/1.8 or larger) could cover the same area of the sensor. It seems like the f/22 light would only illuminate a bright spot in the center of the sensor, since the physical distance between aperture blades and sensor remains fixed.

Regarding variable vs. constant apertures... say you have (for ease of numbers) a 25-50mm f/2 zoom. At each FL, you have a max aperture of FL/2. Doesn't that mean that the aperture is physically capable of being 25mm in diameter? And if so, why would it not be advantageous to use the same larger aperture at 25mm, resulting in a 25-50 f/1-2? You wouldn't lose anything at the tele end, but gain two stops at the wide, so why not do this? Or in a constant aperture zoom, is the physical size of the aperture the same throughout the range, and only the "equivalent" FL changes? For variable aperture zooms, does the physical size of the opening actually change, or do they design it such that the same size aperture is f/3.5 at the wide end and f/5.6 at the tele?

On focal lengths... my 55-200 (cheap-o) lens changes physical length when zoomed, but it doesn't actually change from 55mm to 200mm, so there must be some way of using internal groups/elements to create an equivalent FL. I always see lens "recipes" described in terms of groups and elements. I understand what this means, but not really how it works. The spacing between groups will change when zoomed, do the elements within a group move with respect to each other as well?

I know a lot of this stuff doesn't really matter to many (most?) photographers, who just want to understand the controls to get the shot they want and maybe don't care about the technical details, but there must be other science geeks out there who are curious about this, or have already researched it and have a perfect understanding of how everything actually works.

If anyone has any links to sites that describe this type of stuff, or simply has the answers, I'd love to hear them!
Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
My site 365 Project

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    There are some useful articles on Wikipedia about this stuff. You could probably start from "Focal Length" and follow links to get to other information about lenses.

I don't know much more about lenses than you do, but here are my impressions (I won't claim they're more than that) about the answers to some of your questions.

Regarding f/22 not making a tiny dot in the middle of the sensor: The way lenses behave when stopped down seems to imply that the aperture iris has to be positioned at just the right place so that the light from any point in the scene is evenly distributed around the aperture opening. The light from different points would then be distinguishable only by the angle at which it crosses the aperture. The elements in front of the iris would have to be responsible for arranging the light this way, and the elements behind the iris would have to rearrange it into a spatial image that comes into focus at the sensor. Does that make sense?

I think that elements in a group are permanently attached to each other and therefore only move with respect to other groups.

With regard to maximum apertures in zoom lenses, this is probably a complex subject. It may be that in a constant-aperture zoom, the aperture does not move with respect to something else (the sensor, the rear nodal point, or whatever). It also could be that manufacturers limit some zoom lenses to constant apertures because if they allow the lens to open up more at the wide end, they would have to make sure it performed acceptably at those settings. I'm also not sure that "effective aperture" and "actual physical aperture" have a simple relationship, considering how many different ways there are to design lenses.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    You may want to check Ken Rockwell . He supposedly is involved with optics and knows a lot about it.

I am not sure if that will help, but my $0.02! :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited October 19, 2009
    Lens design, especially "quality" lens design, is complex, and quality zoom lens design even more so.

There is no singular lens formula and zoom lenses complicate things dramatically. As an example, replaceable lens camera designs all have a fixed flange to image plane distance, yet some lenses are capable of a focal length of less distance than this "flange-focal" distance. This implies that those lenses have some sort of optic relay added to the basic lens design, allowing for the greater distances involved. If you take 2 lenses, one reversed and mounted in front of the camera-mounted lens, you create an example of this sort of image relay system and the combination of a wide-angle lens mounted in front of a "normal" lens or telephoto can yield very short effective focal lengths (with very high magnifications).

There is a lot of mis-information on the Internet about how "constant aperture" zooms work, but the most lucid explanation comes from Bob Shell:
    Comments from Bob Shell (January 8, 2003):
    "An f-stop is the ratio between the focal length of the lens and the *apparent* size of the lens opening as viewed through the front. It must take into account the magnification factor of all lens elements in front of the diaphragm, because it is the size of the opening that the light "sees" as it passes through the lens, not the actual physical diameter of the diaphragm opening.
    It is this fact that allows companies to make constant aperture zoom lenses which maintain a constant f-stop when the focal length changes, because such lenses are designed so that the magnification factor (diopter value) of all elements in front of the diaphragm changes as focal length is changed to hold the aperture value constant."

The lens diaphragm is generally located near the "nodal point" of the lens (although generally ahead of the nodal point). This is the point where the rays of light cross inside of the lens and can be considered the optic center of the lens, not to be confused with the physical center of the lens.

The following digram is somewhat representative:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/guides/digitalslr/Diaphragm-1350.jpg

You might consider the following as a simple primer for lens design:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_lens_design
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Very cool. Thanks, everyone. Isn't this stuff fascinating? Anyway, I certainly think so...

So ziggy, is it perhaps fair to say that in a constant aperture zoom, the physical maximum of the diaphragm used may be the same (or not, depending on design) for every FL to which the lens is set, but it's the positioning of the elements that determine the apparent aperture size? And then in my imaginary 25-50 f/2, the aperture may not actually be 25mm in diameter for 50mm, but may in fact be the same physical dimension at both 25 and 50 mm, and the groups are manipulated such that it appears to be f/2 for all lengths.

Neat stuff. I love the results a good photographer can get with an image, but the technology behind it is fantastic. :D
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Very cool. Thanks, everyone. Isn't this stuff fascinating? Anyway, I certainly think so...

So ziggy, is it perhaps fair to say that in a constant aperture zoom, the physical maximum of the diaphragm used may be the same (or not, depending on design) for every FL to which the lens is set, but it's the positioning of the elements that determine the apparent aperture size? And then in my imaginary 25-50 f/2, the aperture may not actually be 25mm in diameter for 50mm, but may in fact be the same physical dimension at both 25 and 50 mm, and the groups are manipulated such that it appears to be f/2 for all lengths.

Neat stuff. I love the results a good photographer can get with an image, but the technology behind it is fantastic. :D

The "f" value of an aperture in a simple lens is based on the physical size of the aperture as it relates to the opening of the lens (basically the diameter of the front element that is visible).

In a constant aperture zoom, the size of the front element remains as a constant but the "apparent" size of the aperture changes with focal length, and it changes at a rate that keeps the effective "f" value constant. The change is due to the variable internal "diopter" elements of the zoom design. The position of all of the groups generally changes to accommodate the design features of the zoom, and the most complicated designs are those that are both constant aperture "and" internal focus (IF), implying that overall length does not change.

These new optical designs are thanks to a number of technological advances in lens design, lens element manufacture, lens element composition, lens group design and composition (including mounts and glues), barrel design (including complicated cams and multiple cams to move elements and groups) and motor design (to adjust focus.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The "f" value of an aperture in a simple lens is based on the physical size of the aperture as it relates to the opening of the lens (basically the diameter of the front element that is visible).
    That doesn't seem right... I've always understood it to be the ratio of the diameter of the aperture to the focal length. From wikipedia: "The lens aperture is usually specified as an f-number, the ratio of focal length to effective aperture diameter."

But just as in modern lens designs the physical length is not the same as the focal length, I guess the physical diameter of the aperture is not necessarily what it would be if one simply divided the FL by the f-number. So my 50mm f/2 lens wouldn't necessarily be physically 50mm long, and the aperture wouldn't necessarily have a 25mm diameter, but it would be equivalent to a simple lens having those measurements, and then at 25mm f/2, it would be equivalent to a simple lens 25mm long with a 12.5mm diameter aperture. However, in practice, the physical size of the diaphragm may actually be the same in both cases.

Good links, I'm enjoying the research!
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    gecko0 wrote:

That's a great book, I just got a hard copy with my CPS gold subscription.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 19, 2009
    That doesn't seem right... I've always understood it to be the ratio of the diameter of the aperture to the focal length. From wikipedia: "The lens aperture is usually specified as an f-number, the ratio of focal length to effective aperture diameter."

But just as in modern lens designs the physical length is not the same as the focal length, I guess the physical diameter of the aperture is not necessarily what it would be if one simply divided the FL by the f-number. So my 50mm f/2 lens wouldn't necessarily be physically 50mm long, and the aperture wouldn't necessarily have a 25mm diameter, but it would be equivalent to a simple lens having those measurements, and then at 25mm f/2, it would be equivalent to a simple lens 25mm long with a 12.5mm diameter aperture. However, in practice, the physical size of the diaphragm may actually be the same in both cases.

This is a thread I wrote a few years ago about aperture and f numbers in three different lenses

I only mention it, because as I point out, lenses may be sold as the same focal lengths or apertures, but may not measure exactly the same.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Probably not helpful but still interesting, a D3 with 14-24mm cutaway

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/images/D3R_4636-cutaway-950.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009

The "maximum" "f" value is indeed a relationship between lens opening and the focal length. At reduced "f" settings the diaphragm is engaged and in a constant aperture lens ("aperture" this time refers to the "f" setting) the diopter elements vary the effective diaphragm size to keep the resulting light transmission a constant "f" value.

Note that I stayed away from the term "aperture" as much as possible because it can have different meanings depending on context, which may not always be clear.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    in a constant aperture lens ("aperture" this time refers to the "f" setting) the diopter elements vary the effective diaphragm size to keep the resulting light transmission a constant "f" value.

Ah, so that's how it works. Thanks for the explanation.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.