Options

Windows 7

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Okay... time for the hot topic. With Windows 7 release just 3 days away, I'm tempted to pick it up.

I am running XP Pro on my Desktop and XP Home on my laptop. My wife has Vista (she has a new PC, but doesn't qualify for a free upgrade to "7").

I am happy with XP, but it is an old OS. I am considering purchasing "7" mainly because I am an IT Professional. I have my MCP and my MCDST certifications. Since "7" is the 2nd OS to come out since I received my MCP/MCDST training (Vista wasn't out yet), then technically speaking my certifications are out-of-date. I want to be up on the latest because employers are going to want someone that is familiar with "7". I can't see a job interview going very well if I said that I've never touched a machine with Vista/7 installed on it.

On the other hand, my current employer uses XP Pro on every piece of equipment (desktop/laptop) and I don't think they're going to be so fast to change.

Also, how well does Photoshop/LR and all the other tools we use as photographers work with "7"? I've heard horror stories about PS and LR on Vista. I don't want to be an early adopter and find out that "7" has issues too.

I realize that "7" requires a clean install to upgrade from XP. I'm attracted to that even though it means reinstalling all my apps!

Also, which version? I really don't anticipate joining a domain, so will "Home Premium" work for me?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that I have been running PS and LR on Vista for a long time with zero issues. I actually have not had any issues with Vista - I guess I'm in the minority or something.

I too am looking forward to 7, and the reviews have been almost unanimous in their praise for it. I guess we will all see in a few days! I'm on the fence about upgrading but the family pack looks attractive price-wise.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I actually have not had any issues with Vista - I guess I'm in the minority or something.

No...I don't think so...for every person with a real issue there are many more with imagined ones.

People will always complain...but seldom praise.

Sometimes it's just a matter of..."I used to do it this way"

Don't upgrade if you don't want to learn! (a general statement not directed at you in particular)
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    No...I don't think so...for every person with a real issue there are many more with imagined ones.

People will always complain...but seldom praise.

Sometimes it's just a matter of..."I used to do it this way"

Don't upgrade if you don't want to learn! (a general statement not directed at you in particular)

Well.... You know, my IBM Selectric works just fine! (I read this somewhere, I didn't think of that on my own) :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    As long as your XP machine is powerful enough, you might as well go for it. Just make sure that you have enough memory (4GB is a nice starting point) and that there are Vista/Win7 drivers available for all of your peripherals. Many of the problems people reported when moving to Vista were because they tried to install it on underpowered machines. Since your main reason for migrating is to learn the the OS, you only need to make sure that your current software won't run worse than now, and 7 should accomplish that as long as it isn't memory starved. Just don't expect to see a performance boost on an older CPU. deal.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I've been running Windows 7 on my main desktop and my laptop for about a year now. I haven't had any problems. I've been running the RTM (final "Release to Market" version, the one that will be in the box people buy Thursday) for a few weeks now and again, no problems. It found the drivers I needed (I only had to go seek out one) and it's stable as a rock. 64-bit Lightroom really, really screams on 7 if your system specs are even remotely decent (I've got 4GB RAM and a good Core 2 Duo Processor). I'd be interested to see how it runs on a Quad Core with 8/12 GB RAM.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I'd be interested to see how it runs on a Quad Core with 8/12 GB RAM.

Well I hope to be using it on a quad core with 8 GB RAM soon. Already running XP x64 but rumor is the 64-bit Win 7 is even nicer.

I'm one (of many) who can't stand Vista. RIP Vista-- you won't be missed by me!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Win7x64 all the way
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Win7x64 all the way

All my copies (6!) should arrive today. That'll get a permanent copy on my laptop (Macbook Pro - currently with a RC1 version), my wife's laptop upgraded from Vista x32 to 7x64, my work desktop upgraded from Vista x32 to 7x64. And then there are my former co-workers whose computers I'll be upgrading. Some from XP and some from Vista but I've been wanting to get them all on the same OS.

Busy day ahead!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that I have been running PS and LR on Vista for a long time with zero issues. I actually have not had any issues with Vista - I guess I'm in the minority or something.

I have to agree. I got this laptop almost exactly a year ago so that's what was preloaded on it. I had planned on wiping it and installing XP pro as soon as I got it (which is what is on our desktop), but to my extreme surprise, everything was running so well that I just wound up leaving it alone. The only "problem" I've had was I needed patches for a couple of sound editing programs I use, but everything else - including LR and PS - ran perfectly (and since the laptop has more processing power, better than on the XP system). We never did get the XP desktop and Vista laptop to talk the way we wanted over our wifi home network, but I think that's our networking ineptitude rather than problems with the OS. FWIW.

I suspect we'll go Win7 with our next desktop which will probably mean we have to put it on the laptop too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it - right now everything works just fine....
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ... We never did get the XP desktop and Vista laptop to talk the way we wanted over our wifi home network, but I think that's our networking ineptitude rather than problems with the OS. FWIW.

I suspect we'll go Win7 with our next desktop which will probably mean we have to put it on the laptop too, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it - right now everything works just fine....

I'm planning on getting the Windows 7 Family Pack. It is a 3 license deal for Win 7 Home Premium (not Pro or Ultimate) that allows you to install Win 7 on 3 PCs within the same physical household. The Family Pack is only $149 (vs. $119 for an upgrade copy of Win 7 Home Premium). I'll be stopping by Costco or BestBuy tomorrow on the way to work.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I'm using Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, at work (no photo processing, but lots of software development and network stuff). It works well for me. (As well as anything from Microsoft can be expected to work, at least.) I don't see any reason not to upgrade to Win7 from XP as long as your PC meets the hardware requirements.

I avoided Vista until Service Pack 1 came out, but from that point on I used the 32-bit version and never had any significant problems aside from an old scanner that I couldn't use anymore because the manufacturer (UMAX) wouldn't develop a Vista-compatible driver for it. I think the complaints about how bad Vista alleged was related to (1) incompatible hardware due to the need for new drivers, (2) people not liking the user interface changes, and (3) people being annoyed with the new User Access Control feature that asks for permission every time a program needs administrator privileges. It wasn't really that Vista sucked compared to XP, it was just different.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    It wasn't really that Vista sucked compared to XP, it was just different.

For me, Vista does suck compared to XP :D and especially XP x64 bit on a quad core with 8 GB RAM.

Apparently MS must feel similar. They're not exactly releasing a new version of Vista, are they?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    For me, Vista does suck compared to XP :D and especially XP x64 bit on a quad core with 8 GB RAM.

You've got me there. I never tried to run Vista on a machine with more than 4 GB RAM. 32-bit Vista worked well, but I did have trouble with 64-bit Vista. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 is much better.
    dogwood wrote:
    Apparently MS must feel similar. They're not exactly releasing a new version of Vista, are they?

Yes, they are. It's called Windows 7. The name is just marketing BS.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    Yes, they are. It's called Windows 7. The name is just marketing BS.

Yup... I mean, did you actually expect them to call it "This is what Vista should have been"?? :D
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    In terms of "which edition of Windows 7" should he buy, I have the same question.

I thought that maybe the "Windows XP compatibility mode" of the PROFESSIONAL edition might come in handy if I run into issues, but I'm not sure. I mainly run PS CS4 and Lightroom v2, but a bunch of other apps as well. I currently run XP Pro.

NEAL - have you also run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Unlike Vista, I've found no reason to go above 7 Home Premium. I simply do not need a compatibility mode for a 10 year old OS. I don't use apps that are that old. All of the other features that Business and Ultimate have can be added on by third-party software (that probably does a better job anyway). Unless, of course, you're in a business or education environment that requires you to join a domain.

The computer I'm on is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - but only because that's what MS gave me. The copies I've purchased are all Home Premium.

By the way. I ran Vista 64-bit for years without any problems. I did that on my desktops and laptops (including 2 Macs).
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I installed Windows 7 Home Premium today. Clean install (running XP prior). It was seamless. Nice upgrade for certain. So far no problems anywhere, particularly with Lightroom 2.5 64-bit.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Im running a core i7 and 12 gigs RAM on Vista 64 ultimate with zero issues.

....but....I had pre-ordered Win7 Pro a few months ago and it just arrived.

Stay tuned!:D