Acadia Black & White attempts

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Still weeding thru the Shootout photos and came across two that I thought might look nice in black & white. I don't really know the specifics about converting a photo to B&W but I played around in Photoshop with the black & white sliders and this was what I came up with. I didn't know about converting a sunrise photo into b&w but I think I like it better. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Stephanie

#1 Sunrise at Boulder Beach
683039100_U4ZR5-L.jpg

#1 converted

683040123_59Hde-L.jpg

#2 Early morning at Little Hunter's Beach

682065977_RbFer-L.jpg

#2 converted

682066794_mBfmB-L.jpg

Comments

• brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I prefer color in both shots. I am one of the odd ones that loves B&W - but I think that color works best here.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I like them all Stephanie, and 2 might be my favorite. Good conversion imo. clap.gif
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I love and do a lot of B&W but in this case I prefer the color versions a tad more. Nice shots.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    alexf wrote:
    I love and do a lot of B&W but in this case I prefer the color versions a tad more. Nice shots.

Great shots but to be honest I certainly prefer looking at the colour shots.
    Regards
    Bob
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    #1. The round stones in the foreground looks quite good in b&w. However, the sky and the water could use a little more contrast to bring out the details. The island, on the other hand, needs to be lightened up to bring out the details there.

#2. I really like the pink and cyan hues in the color photo. However, these colors are getting converted to roughly the same shade of gray in the b&w photo. You want to convert the photo to maximize the difference of the pink and cyan. Fortunately red and cyan are opposite colors in RGB. The easiest way to maximize the difference in b&w is to use the channel mixer conversion method and go heavy on the red channel. This will turn the pink rocks into a lighter shade of gray, and the blue rocks into a darker shade of gray.