Options

Portraits at the Park

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in People
Some from a shoot this past weekend, I hope the mom will like these, I gave her a couple sample shots and she loved the processing .. so I kind of stuck to the same feel. C&C more than welcomed.
Made some adjustments .. any better ?
Natalie1.jpg

1a
repost1.jpg

Blake1-color.jpg

2a
repost2.jpg

#3 (couldn't do much to this one.. oof)
NatalieandBlake3.jpg

blake3.jpg

repost3.jpg

Cortney-Blake.jpg

repost4.jpg

blake5.jpg

repost6.jpg

#7 (she was losing interest quick, the next two were just candids)
natalie10.jpg

repost9.jpg
Devin

Comments

• Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    are they that bad rolleyes1.gif

This was my first "paid" shoot and I have another coming up this weekend, so was really hoping for some constructive critisim. I forgot to mention these were all shot handheld with my D50 and my 50mm 1.8 (most with natural light or with on board flash for fill). I did recieve my new Tammy 17-50 2.8, but not in time for this last shoot, hopefully i'll get some good results with the new lens this weekend.
    Devin
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Yes and no.

1...There is a blue tint to everything. The pose is nice, but she too looks blue:-) and a bit pale...

2...is flat. rolleyes1.gif He looks a bit worried about something!rolleyes1.gif

3...is pretty good. the only problem is that the girls face is much warmer then her little brother, which looks pale again.

4...I like this one very much. The only thing that I would change would be to crop out some of that beam...

5...Can't quite put it words right now, I will try later...

6...Love this one!

7...is very cute, but she looks very pale in this one too...sorry...

8...I don't know why you like this one. I can tell that you used flash. I personally would delete this one...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Yes and no.

1...There is a blue tint to everything. The pose is nice, but she too looks blue:-) and a bit pale...

2...is flat. rolleyes1.gif He looks a bit worried about something!rolleyes1.gif

3...is pretty good. the only problem is that the girls face is much warmer then her little brother, which looks pale again.

4...I like this one very much. The only thing that I would change would be to crop out some of that beam...

5...Can't quite put it words right now, I will try later...

6...Love this one!

7...is very cute, but she looks very pale in this one too...sorry...

8...I don't know why you like this one. I can tell that you used flash. I personally would delete this one...

Thank you.. exactly what i was looking for. The girl is that pale.. compared to her mom and brother. When trying to correct / edit the tempeture i lose something in the overall shot. I'll have another go at her shots and see if I can get a better result. Thanks very much for the comments.
    Devin
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I agree with everything Mr Quiet said and would like to build.

1) She looks pale and I'm not sure you have the focus right. You may want to get the eyes on a shot that close.

2) Lacks punch. Also, as a general rule you should not cut off their hands. Some one once told me that you generally need to go upto at least the elbow if you crop the hands.

3) Good comp , the lighting is a bit off and you may need greater DOF

4) Nice shot, again crop tighter and focus on his eyes, it looks a bit soft

5) Overall a nice shot, you need greater DOF again. seems soft

6) Log is in focus but I don't believe his face is. Also, you chopped off his foot. You may want to consider taking him off center.

7)& 8) can't add to anything already said.

Using a longer lens may help, be careful with the focus and lighting. Best of luck with the next shoot.
  • Options
    OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    OK, my 10c worth
    1. The background is too distracting as is the rust - maybe a crop just to the left of the post and just above her bow would help. Were you looking for a thoughtful almost sad expression?
    2. Background again and there needs to be more light on his face. I would crop in from the bottom to just above the elbows (I understand that you don't crop at the joints) and the sides
    3. This is charming and I like it a lot, but would crop in tighter
    4. This is a peach and works very well. Some more light on his face, especially the eyes to make them sparkle would be nice
    5. Background too intrusive again and I would crop in from the right to just before his elbow.
    6. Very sweet, just needs a tighter crop.
    7. Sorry but these don't work at all for me. Background again and she looks abandoned and sad.

You are working with some very bright back lighting which is problematic. You could try to balance it with flash, but off camera prferably - have at look at http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-balancing-flash-and.html. or use a reflector.
    Also remember that the eyes have it, so make sure they are perfectly exposed and in focus.
    Hope that was constructive and good luck.
  • Options
    tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    the nr7 is beautiful, fantastic expression.
    i love how the bench devide the picture and the paleness add tons to the shot.
    great!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    When I get a pale subject like that, I sometimes try using Kelvin WBing.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Jacobovs & Oobers - thanks so much for commenting, this is why i love this site.. good honest critique. I will have to invest soon in some lighting gear (as in i don't have any.. lol), so I was just using what I had. I'm not blaming the lack of off flash, reflector or anything else other than I need more practice at the software / processing end of things (and hopefully my new tammy 17-50 2.8 will help as well).

tortillatorture - thank you for the nice comment, apparently you and I are the only ones 'drawn' to that one :D

Mr Quiet - i'll do a search on that.. as i've not seen it in PSE7.

I also will go back when i get time and re-process these .. not leaning so much on the left side of the scale for vibrance. again, many thanks for the help thumb.gif
    Devin
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    00SS wrote:

Mr Quiet - i'll do a search on that.. as i've not seen it in PSE7.

and you wouldn't see it there. It is the in-camera white balance setting. Wait, your camera might not have it....what kind is it?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    as of now i have a Nikon D50, but i will be upgrading to a D300 hopefully in the next week or so.
    Devin
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    re-worked them a bit.. any better? (edit original post above)
    Devin
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    1a is great!!!
    The rest are really wonderful improvements as well, but the fix to #1 is so amazingly pronounced. 2a still feels a little off, but it might just be me. I can't tag exactly what it is. If you are working in CS, the color shift in 7 made the trees neon. If you can fix just her flesh tones and keep the background less saturated that would be wonderful. Very nice work in making the adjustments.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    1a is great!!!
    The rest are really wonderful improvements as well, but the fix to #1 is so amazingly pronounced. 2a still feels a little off, but it might just be me. I can't tag exactly what it is. If you are working in CS, the color shift in 7 made the trees neon. If you can fix just her flesh tones and keep the background less saturated that would be wonderful. Very nice work in making the adjustments.

Thanks Andrew, i reworked #7 again.. better i hope.
    Devin
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    Thanks Andrew, i reworked #7 again.. better i hope.
    Much... She's so cute in that pic....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Much better overall, great job!

You will love the D300, I almost got it but then I found the cheaper D200, so I got that instead....

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson