Dark, Moody Mountains

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots

684400960_Xm7GB-XL.jpg

684401064_njGKj-XL.jpg

684401006_YF9Wc-XL.jpg

684401121_eYjhr-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Hi Tom..... you really captured the mood in this set of picturesclap.gif WELL DONE! azzaro
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Looks like you were pretty high up to be above the clouds, bet that was a neat feeling.

Looks like the leaves were just starting to show themselves.

Good title, definitely a Dark and moody mountain.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Thanks for the comment. I could hardly miss getting this mood right. It was extraordinarily dark under those clouds.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 19, 2009
    Yo Craig,

The clouds were really unique. There were different strata to them....some low, some high, and all tied together with an almost impenatrable grayness that was punctuated with shards of light.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Excellent series, Tom! I like how the sky colors and brightness change from shot to shot, but always with those moody clouds present. Very nicely done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    Cool set, Tom. Each one has a slightly different feel, but I think I like the second and third best because the yellows and reds stand out so much from the rest. Looks like it must have been cold.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Eerie and beautiful. My favorite is the second one showing enough color and the clouds creep over the hills. I am in WV right now enjoying such scenery!
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Beautiful fall colors and the clouds moving in set a peaceful tone to me.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Tom these are just wonderful. It looks like the ground reached up high into the clouds thumb.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Great series Tom. What a wonderful vantage point you had. Was this taken on the same trip as the old post office?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hey Lauren,

Thanks for the comments. The moody clouds really made these shots. Even in the mountains, you don't often catch them quite like this.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hi Richard,

It was pretty darn cold. Actually, the leaf colors this year were fairly muted as compared to other years. This section of the Applachian Mountains had too much rain in the late Summer and early Fall and that tends to adversely affect the changing of the leaves and their color. Other factors also enter into the picture but there were areas here and there that had spectacular color.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hi Eia,

Eerie is a good word for the feeling scenes like these throw off. I hope you enjoy your time in the mountains as much as I do.

Take care,

Tom
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hi Stephen,

If you really love the mountains, as I do, you take what they throw your way. Regardless of what that may be, I always get a feeling of comfort and peace when I'm up there. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

Thanks for the nice comment. It was almost surreal to see the higher clouds projecting their effect and to have, at the same time, the lower clouds blanketing the valleys. I looked at it in awe.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Nice series Tom,

I really like #3, there's a lot of depth in this picture. thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 22, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Yes, this series, the old post office and some others were shot on the same trip during the last couple of weeks. These shots were all made from different vantage points along the Blue Ridge Parkway leading from the Linville / Grandfather Mountain area on toward Blowing Rock. These weather scenes were very unique....even considering the varied offerings the mountains usually present.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    edited October 23, 2009
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for the comment. It's funny how you can look and look.....hoping to find a good shot, maybe even trying to force the issue, and then suddenly a magnificent opportunity jumps up in front of you. I stopped the car 4 times to grab these shots.

Take care,

Tom
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I couldn't let these pass without commenting on them. They are all really great. There is no better place to be than the mountains and these shots convey the feeling of being there. I can feel the crisp dampness and smell the mountain moisture. Great set.
    wl
    edited October 24, 2009
    Hi Wendell,

It sounds that you, like myself, are a mountain man at heart. No place brings me the peace and tranquility that the mountains do. Thanks for the kind remarks.

Take care,

Tom