Long Overdue Follow-Up: Swedish Charm

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in People
A few months ago I posted a sneak peek of a lovely lady I had the pleasure to shoot while in Stockholm. Still a few to process, but finally enough to graduate from that sneak peek to a larger view, I reckon. :D

619332931_QLcpF-L.jpg

684836841_8Hzwf-M.jpg

619334213_dSuuU-M.jpg

619336646_Un3Mx-M.jpg

619339323_AnYAv-M.jpg

684843325_D2VJT-M.jpg

619338143_k23xX-M.jpg

684850976_bdnUE-M.jpg

All shot in natural light with my 50/1.4.

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Just beautiful.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    I do love Swedes. Great shots Kerry. #6 is my favorite iloveyou.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    It's about time!!

I'm torn between 6 and 7 as my favorite. Some of the others are not as flattering since the lens and the angle tend to lengthen her nose.
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    ♥ #7
    (shots look great, nice pp work!)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Awwww man -these are PURE Kerry Awesomeness.

7 and 8 for me - the processing on 8 is simply to die for (not that the others aren't, but the texture and treatment on that one is really special - very 50's Vogue, somehow! thumb.gif)
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    beautiful. I love 4 and 8! The tug on the skirt is....well...wow! Her idea or yours?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    2, 5, and 6 hubba hubba! iloveyou.gif

I like 7 but the face in relation to the color/warmth of the rest of her skin makes this one a bit off for me in that regards....but what a really cool comp on this. Nice job! thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Kerry,

Really a great series thumb.gif

I love each and every one. I think you've got everything working right in these images. Very nice work indeed!

#7 gets an extra Wow!!!
    Randy
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Just beautiful.bowdown.gif
    Thank you!
    dlplumer wrote:
    I do love Swedes. Great shots Kerry. #6 is my favorite iloveyou.gif
    Thank you. iloveyou.gif I loved my stay in Stockholm, mainly because the people were so wonderful.
    Mitchell wrote:
    It's about time!!

I'm torn between 6 and 7 as my favorite. Some of the others are not as flattering since the lens and the angle tend to lengthen her nose.
    Sorry! lol3.gif Life got majorly in the way for much too long. Thank you for your comments. One of my goals is to watch my angles to ensure the most flattering portraits, so I appreciate you pointing it out here. thumb.gif
    ♥ #7
    (shots look great, nice pp work!)
    Thank you so much!
    divamum wrote:
    Awwww man -these are PURE Kerry Awesomeness
    Aw, thanks, hon. iloveyou.gif
    chrisdg wrote:
    beautiful. I love 4 and 8! The tug on the skirt is....well...wow! Her idea or yours?
    Thank you! The skirt tug was all her. I was just thrilled to capture the moment! She had a tough time with those heels on those cobbles.
    Idlewild wrote:
    2, 5, and 6 hubba hubba! iloveyou.gif

I like 7 but the face in relation to the color/warmth of the rest of her skin makes this one a bit off for me in that regards....but what a really cool comp on this. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Thank you! She's definitely one of the most beautiful women I've had a chance to photograph thus far. :D Thank you for the critique on 7. I had toned down the warming filter on her skin, but I may have missed spots and will take another gander. thumb.gif
    edited October 19, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Really a great series thumb.gif

#7 gets an extra Wow!!!

Thank you! #7 was one I passed over initially, but the model picked it. I'm glad she did. :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Very nice work. 2 & 7 are my faves.
    3, and to a lesser extent 5 seem to accentuate her nose more than the others IMO.
    The others are just great, just not as wow as 2/7 were.

Sweet series, and thanks for sharing.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous images! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

In addition to echoing the other comments, I will also say I love the color styling of these: rich, coherent, stylish, flattering... Excellent!
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    What a great series! I love them all.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    gagagagagagaga!

2&5 are real stand alone's - GREAT work!
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    These are inspirational! I love the wide variety of expressions, poses and color tones in them. Can you explain your PP on #5? I love that look. thumb.gif
    Llywellyn wrote:
    619339323_AnYAv-Th.jpg
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    WOW WOW WOW! These are SOOOOOOOOOOO awesome! I absolutely adore the setting, the model and the processing. Okay...whatcha up to with the processing? I live in Europe and this is the "look" I want for my pics too! How is this achieved? In the last one...is that an preset effect? I'm strictly using PSE 7. I have yet to explore the world of actions...and to be quite honest I'd love to figure out how to acheive my "look" on my own, lol! I did a series recently with my 2 girls on a European street setting and hope to further improve my processing. Thanks so much for sharing!!!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Nice shooting. Nice post processing. 1 is one of my favorites...I just like the setting, post, and post processing.

Good to see you back. And, thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    OOoooooohhhh, pretty, pretty, prett. Very fun, modern approach. Love it! iloveyou.gifclap.gif
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Beautiful shots!! Number Seven is my favorite!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thank you all so much for the kind comments. It keeps me motivated to keep trying new things. iloveyou.gif
    GoofBckt wrote:
    These are inspirational! I love the wide variety of expressions, poses and color tones in them. Can you explain your PP on #5? I love that look. thumb.gif
    Thank you! I actually didn't do much to #5. Here's a quick before and after so you can see the difference:

689223329_K5CNh-S.jpg619339323_AnYAv-S.jpg

I did a little skin clean-up using the spot healing brush and clone tool, and I cleaned up her stray hairs near the top and that white line in the top left of the pic. After that was a little eye brightening. The B&W conversion was courtesy of a Lightroom preset from x-equals.
    kidzmom wrote:
    Okay...whatcha up to with the processing? I live in Europe and this is the "look" I want for my pics too! How is this achieved? In the last one...is that an preset effect?
    Er, I'm sort of all over the place with each look, so I'm not sure how best to answer you. lol3.gif I can say that what I outline above (heal/clone first, skin smoothing--if needed--second, eye/teeth brightening third) is my normal process for every portrait I shoot. Once those things are fixed, I "play." A lot of times I'll stack and mask a combination of Lightroom and Photoshop presets, sometimes I'll use just one and tweak it to my liking. Sometimes, like in #7, I say "screw the presets!" and manually work the scene for dodging, burning, warmth, saturation, etc., until I land upon something I like. I haven't figured out my own style yet, so I'm still in random playing around mode. thumb.gif

The last one is just a B&W conversion. The texture is actually a separate texture image that I drag into a layer on top of my portrait image in Photoshop. I play around with the blending modes and opacity of the texture layer until I find a combination I'm happy with, then I do some manual masking on a layer mask to enhance or erase the texture selectively.

Hope that helps!