Sunshine Rim light - work in progress (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in People
So a few weeks ago I went out to experiment with backlighting and OCF. Today, the child actually ASKED me to take some pictures of her with her Nintendo for something she's doing. I was only too happy to oblige - I'm just happy and relieved to see her back on her feet after a horrible bout of H1N1 flu which has laid her flat out in bed for the last 10 days (yes, TEN days). The fact that the light was pretty nice after 5 days of constant, unbroken rain didn't hurt either.... :wink

These were the 430ex on camera using HSS synch as fill; most of them were the 50mm 1.4 (first time I've really tried it out) and the 200 2.8.

In any case, not sure these are anything special, but figured I'd post them for C&C on the lighting and processing - I'm trying to experiment a wee bit with processing, but I'm not really sure if it's working yet. C&C would be wonderful!

1. Slightly overflashed?
686262581_aeiWN-M.jpg

2. Pushing exposure/skintones

686262629_yFdgB-L.jpg

686262524_DGuGx-M.jpg

686262495_TYbdc-L.jpg

PS the penny suddenly dropped in my brain, and after a lifetime of relying on aperture priority, I'm shooting mostly manual at the moment, including these shots. Woohoo!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    So glad that MiniDiva is fully recovered!! clap.gifclap.gif

Nice job. Looks like we're doing similar experiments. The color looks off to the blue side on my monitor. Otherwise they look good to this learner. #1 may be more filled than you wanted, but still a nice pic.

Not sure what your PP goal on #3 was, but I don't like the color. Too blue/ashen.

#4 is really nice.

Yeah, manual seems to be the secret sauce for getting things the way you want them to be.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    they look a tad blue to me too...but i like them! 4 is my favorite!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Rule #1: believe the Huey when it says it's time to recalibrate.... WHOOPS! Yes, they are too cool - will fix.

Thanks for the comments. And Andrew, I was thinking about your shoots when I decided to play with the light with a (relatively) willing victim.... I figured I'd give it a go and see what I got. It's far from perfect, but I feel like I'm slowly getting a better feel for how to use the flash with existing light a little bit better. Practice, practice, practice (ditto for nailing the focus point at 2.0 and wider on the 50mm - tricky!)

And yes, we are VERY relieved that she's better - there've been so many children in this area so very very ill with this bug that we were really worried. She goes back to school tomorrow after over a week, so I'm just hoping she won't poop out too quickly. This thing has been brutal.
    edited October 20, 2009
    And another ....

686650137_jKurh-L.jpg
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Really love 2 I like all most every thing about it but it might be a little cool and hot
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I love the bokeh, light, expression in 2!!! I agree, they look a bit cool. Yay for manual! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Hi there M - very, very glad to hear that your special one is back on here feet again!

C&C - from a lighting perspective, the only real keeper is that last one, with her plaing with her game. That one is sweet!! You've got the backlighting/rim-lighting going very very well and the flash appears to be perfectly balanced. Stellar!
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks all! Am processing again that I've recalibrated the monitor and brought it up to date - may post the redo's later if I get a chance. (Also, this is the first time I've used some of the WOW presets - I wonder if that contributed to teh coolness? ne_nau.gif) This batch are hardly critical or important for anything other than learning purposes or to anybody other than family, but I'm trying to use every opportunity available to practice with good and/or tricky lighting situations. I feel like I need to get these skills reliable for when it isn't "just for me"!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    The nintendo shot is perfect as far as I can tell on the lighting since you can't tell there was a flash involved. The kiddos do love those little toys...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Gotta say #2 is my fave of the lot, even with the hair blown out. Love the experiment! It's one I've been trying to get a handle on, too. thumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Gotta say #2 is my fave of the lot, even with the hair blown out. Love the experiment! It's one I've been trying to get a handle on, too. thumb.gif

Thanks Kerry. No 2 is my favorite too, and I'm particularly glad you like that one since the skin tones I was trying to achieve were the kind that you and Agnieszka regularly demonstrate (and if either of you would like to chime in on HOW you get that ultra-creamy, nearly-but-not-overexposed look, I'm very much all ears!! :ear.gif). I love the slightly painted look to the bokeh, as well.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I love these! They are so fun. You could tell she WANTED to be photo-ed because she looked so naturally happy! What great memories (sorry to hear about that awful flu!!!!!!!!!) GLAD she is fine. She looks radiant :) Anyway....I love 2 and 4! Your processing on 2 is fun and it is just a special capture. HEY, that is awesome about switching over to M. I swear since I made the transition my shots have become SO much better. It is great to be in control of the look you want. Thanks for sharing!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Welcome to the world of manual! clap.gif
    As per your asking, the alone shot of her playing n'tendo looks perrrfect.

Don't mess w/ Huey - I've gotten into the practice of re cal each and every time I process, if prompted for or not.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    (and if either of you would like to chime in on HOW you get that ultra-creamy, nearly-but-not-overexposed look, I'm very much all ears!! :ear.gif).

Well, you already know the skin processing I do in PS, so I'm guessing you're referring more to what I do in camera, which is "expose to the right." I chimp my histogram, ensuring the highlight peak is to the right but not so far that anything is overexposed. The histogram is my crutch. :D
    edited October 22, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Well, you already know the skin processing I do in PS, so I'm guessing you're referring more to what I do in camera, which is "expose to the right." I chimp my histogram, ensuring the highlight peak is to the right but not so far that anything is overexposed. The histogram is my crutch. :D

Thanks, K! I'm beginning to think that the expose-to-the-right mantra is everything, actually! It sure does make for purty pictures (as well as solve problems like visible noise etc etc)

I think dgrin needs an "expose to the right" emoticon :D