Options

Nik Sharpener pro

OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Finishing School
I am having the following problemo with Sharpener Pro. I install it, enter my key. Every time I try to use it in photoshop cs4 I get a screen which says the trial is over and buy a new copy etc. Nik says there might be duplicate files of the software on the computer. I searched and researched and deleted any thing Nik, Reinstalled enter key and get the same box telling me the trial is over buy a key.

I have talked to Nik but get the same response ie duplicate files?? I am at my wits end.

Any suggestions? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 19, 2009
    Operating system?

Computer?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    details
    PC Vista plenty memory and HD space
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Osprey wrote:
    PC Vista plenty memory and HD space

The problem is probably a Registry entry left over from your trial edition. Their installation routine for the paid version SHOULD have handled that, but it seems like it didn't. Some publishers expect you to uninstall the trial version, first. I don't know if Nik is one of them.

Sometimes, installing and then uninstalling the full version will also clear out the leftover crud from the trial version, and then installing it, again, will work. Sometimes reinstalling the trial version, and then uninstalling it before attempting to install the full version will work. That only works if the full version is already gone, though. So, uninstalling the full version is step one for any approach.

If you're comfortable with messing around in the Registry, you can try a seek-and-destroy mission, to eradicate any traces of any Nik products. That's assuming you only have one, and have uninstalled it during your troubleshooting. It's time-consuming, but can be effective. Unfortunately, it's not 100% effective.

You can also download one of the many tools available to clean up exactly this kind of mess. Just be sure to download from a reputable source, so you don't end up installing something really nasty on your machine. Again, none of these are 100% effective, either, and you may need to try several to find one that works on your specific problem.

And, anything that messes with the Registry could potentially harm the operation of your computer. But, none of these things should hurt it, as long as you don't go nuts in the Registry editor.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.