Turn of the century

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Landscapes
686179660_ZRmii-XL.jpg

I'm not so sure about this photo. It was a throw away in color, but in black and white, I thought this shot looking up at Mount Rainier was interesting - that perhaps there was something here? Thoughts??? It kinda reminded me of old shots from the earlier part of the century.
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    This is very well done, Jason. Excellent job on the processing. clap.gif
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I definately lean towards it working rather than not. The fog/mist takes away enough recognizable features to make it something else. Reminds me of a scene you might find in the Himalayas.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I like it, the light is perfect for this. I think it may be improved if there were less trees silhouetted in the bottom right, as that black spot occupies a rather large chunk of the photo. But I think as far as the mood, lighting, B&W, sharpness, etc. it's spot on.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Good eye and intuition on the conversion to B&W. thumb.gif Your treatment really does bring back to mind the earlier times in landscape photography.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    That's a great shot. I do agree with Ron about the trees in the bottom right.
    Dale Childress
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Works for me. Kind of yin and yang with a white / black split.
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Nice shot!
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I love the stark contrast between the foreground and background. I think it works perfect for B & W. Excellent!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    This is totally a case of the artist being too humble. I'm so glad you didn't throw this one away! My jaw literally hit my lap. eek7.gif

The #1 thing I love most about this shot is that the more I look at it, the more I find about it that I didn't notice at first. Like the silhouette of the trees, the oodles of layers, how there really isn't any sky in the background even though it looks as though there is, at first glance.

The only thing I could complain about is the fact that you didn't catch a tiny silhouette of a climber with a mule somewhere across the valley lol3.gif

bowdown.gif
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I really appreciate your feedback guys!!! It's a great help, and I'll remember to watch how much dark area I put in a photo. I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the compliments as well.
    FACEBOOK
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Just visited your site--you have some wonderful work, and such great climbing and shooting opportunities. You obviously take advantage of where you are and have achieved some great results both in your images and in sharing the beauty and emotions of the ranges. Mountains are my favorite type of geography and you remind me why that is. I hope to see much more from you!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I'm glad you liked what you saw redlesh. As you can tell, I obviously have an affinity for mountains as well.

BTW, for anyone who would like to read about the trip this photo came from, go here. Wonderland Trail.
    FACEBOOK
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    i love this shot. very moody and evocative. i am dithering about the silhouetted trees... i tend to like the shot a lot as is. but you might also have another nice composition with narrower and closer crop that features the central group of trees. very nice work.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    i'm with Steve Cole... this reminds me of photos from the Himalayas... really isn't even identifiable as Mt. Rainier, but the BW conversion seems more appropriate for this than color would be.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • RonA18RonA18 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    B/W suits it beautifully. Kind of has a Land of the Lost feel.:D

Ron
    Ron

40D Gripped ~ 30D ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L IS~17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ EF 50mm f1.8 II ~ EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ~ 430EX II
    Website...http://www.shutterspeedphoto-video.com