First video from the new Canon 1D MKIV

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited October 21, 2009 in Cameras
Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Vincent LaForet did it again and made a stunning 1080p video, shot at ISO 6400:

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/Laforet-Videos/Nocturne-Canon-1DMKIV-Video/10024122_sqhwE#686345820_EeDCa

Looks pretty impressive, no?

Here's more about the 1D Mark IV:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1256011201.html

Comments

• bartronbartron Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2009
    impressive for iso 6400

also.....keeping the fact that you're shooting with the as-yet unreleased flagship camera from Canon a secret.....not sure an NDA would keep me from bragging to someone
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Amazing stuff. As Laforet says on his blog, with this camera, 6400 is the new 1600, or even the new 800.

On the other hand, this camera is not going to be cheap. Most of us Canon users will have to stick with our 5D Mark IIs or 7Ds (or 50Ds, or Rebels...). But slowly this great technology will trickle down. The 5D Mark III, in another year or two, should be pretty cool too.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Balls187Balls187 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

Wow. That was a treat.

But, given the response to his video with the 5D Mark II, it's a no brainer that canon would ship him two bodies ASAP.

Queue the deluge of cheap 1D Mark III's on the B&S forums!
    I like to make pretty pictures. Maybe one day I'll be good at it.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D
    16-35L II, 50F1.4, 50 Macro, 24-105L, 100 Macro
    Canon 580EXII, Sigma 500DG ST
    Blackrapid RS4
    photos.aballs.com

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    bartron wrote:
    impressive for iso 6400

Not only that, but 100% available light, with the light being street lamps, I think we all know what a horrible color of light that is. But they made it look good, really good. Wow.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Not only that, but 100% available light, with the light being street lamps, I think we all know what a horrible color of light that is. But they made it look good, really good. Wow.

Well Vincent shows that manual focusing works, wonder if autofocus works in this one?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Whoa. The key thing here to me is that it was AVAILABLE LIGHT which having wtached it is impressive not only for quality reasons, but the way it was put to use artistically. To be fair, the cameras were used in a film/video production context with all the peripheral backup one would expect (note the credits), but even so. Gawow :jawdrop

I presume that Canon's move to include video in the flagship pro model(s) means it's here to stay now for sure - I wonder where this will all lead in the next 5 years?

Thanks for posting the link thumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I presume that Canon's move to include video in the flagship pro model(s) means it's here to stay now for sure - I wonder where this will all lead in the next 5 years?

Good pt, w video showing up everywhere now, I overlooked that this is video in the flagship 1D series.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Well Vincent shows that manual focusing works, wonder if autofocus works in this one?

I wonder the same thing too.

Amazing video regardless.
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    What's up?

But today, for an undisclosed reason, Canon "requested" the removal of the video and both Vincent Laforet and Smugmug "obliged out of courtesy".

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/10/canon-fail-laforets-video-has-been-removed.html
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Whoa. The key thing here to me is that it was AVAILABLE LIGHT which having wtached it is impressive not only for quality reasons, but the way it was put to use artistically. To be fair, the cameras were used in a film/video production context with all the peripheral backup one would expect (note the credits), but even so. Gawow :jawdrop

How about a medium where the file system isn't limiting files to 4GB. If I have a 64GB card, I want to be able to take full HD video clips longer than 12 minutes if I choose to.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
    edited October 21, 2009
    How about a medium where the file system isn't limiting files to 4GB. If I have a 64GB card, I want to be able to take full HD video clips longer than 12 minutes if I choose to.

Actually, if you go to Vincent's blog, he has a post with info about the filming of this, and he mentions that these are all done tethered to a PC (he complains about how fragile the connector is). So assuming you are using a 64bit OS, there is no issue with file systems.

To maintain compatibility across systems, the camera must use FAT, so it has limits, but tethering eliminates them.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 21, 2009
    Without a competent autofocus during video recording I don't think that any current dSLR is capable of long format video acquisition.

If you want to record long format video a dedicated digital video camcorder is still the way to go.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums