Continuous noise

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Technique
I attended the golfing venue and after using my 40D and 70-200L in continuous I was told I was distracting them with the noise and had to depart from the scene as when I stood further back I was not getting the effect they were wanting. Is there any way one can stop the noise when using continuous mode?
Regards
Bob

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I attended the golfing venue and after using my 40D and 70-200L in continuous I was told I was distracting them with the noise and had to depart from the scene as when I stood further back I was not getting the effect they were wanting. Is there any way one can stop the noise when using continuous mode?
    Regards
    Bob

that's really odd. The noise is pretty minimal even from 10 feet. At 200mm I bet you can be over 30 feet away on crop sensor and still get good coverage. If that is not far enough..well that is some sensitive golfers. Then I would suggest a 1.4 TC or 300mm lens if you got one. If that is good enough..screw it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    that's really odd. The noise is pretty minimal even from 10 feet. At 200mm I bet you can be over 30 feet away on crop sensor and still get good coverage. If that is not far enough..well that is some sensitive golfers. Then I would suggest a 1.4 TC or 300mm lens if you got one. If that is good enough..screw it.
    Thanks Qarik for replying. I was a good twenty feet away if not a few feet further and they still heard the clicking noise. I do have a 300mm lens but no IS same as the 50-500 also no IS and it is a ton weight.
    I take it there is no way of turning off the clicking noise in continuous?
    Regards
    Bob
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    The noise is from the mirror clanging up and down, and there is not really anyway of turning it off in high frame rate.

Have you considered putting the camera inside a blanket or a pillow? Kind of like a silencer? Some folks actually do use something like this to decrease the noise, say for shooting a ballet performance.

I would think just a fleece jacket around the camera body would make a big difference in noise at 10 or 20 feet.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    is the sound coming from the IS or the mirror?

I get a small clunk from the IS on my 70-200 f2.8L when it starts and stops but if you keep your finger half pressed on the shutter then it's almost silent.

On film sets, camera blimps are common for keeping SLR's silent. there's nothing like the sound of a SLR firing to throw off an actor at just the wrong moment, or have the sound recordist throw heavy things at you

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-3408-3436
    These one's are seriously quiet. http://www.soundblimp.com/
    http://www.whistlerweddingphotos.com/blimp.html
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Sound Blimp

See this thread, too. Skip the parts about the pants.
    edited October 22, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Sound Blimp

See this thread, too. Skip the parts about the pants.

Thanks James and David that certainly explains things and it would appear I have not been the only one to experience this dilemma. The noise must be coming from the mirror because my 70-200 F/4 doesn't have IS.
    Regards
    Bob
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    or shoot using liveview! the mirror doesn't flip up and down with each shot.

Sure you may need to manual focus, but it's quiet.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
    edited October 23, 2009
    jogle wrote:
    or shoot using liveview! the mirror doesn't flip up and down with each shot.

Sure you may need to manual focus, but it's quiet.

Thanks Pathfinder and Jogle for those ideas. They are certainly worth a try. I must admit I never ever thought of anything like that.
    Regards
    Bob