Options

Animoto as a digital incentive

CmauCmau Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Weddings
Hello all,

I'm relatively new around here, but love the supportiveness of the community (unlike certain other unnamed forums).

I'm in the process of planning a part-time (hopefully full-time soon) wedding photography business. I think I have the photographic chops for it, but I know the business side of things will be a bit of a challenge for me. I've been reading lots and lots of business-related books and blogs (if anyone hasn't read Fast Track Photographer by Dane Sanders yet, I seriously recommend it) and while it's gotten the juices flowing, I've also found myself wrestling with some thorny decisions.

I've heard countless photographers on countless forums bemoaning the lack of print sales in this day and age. My personal view on that is that the ship has already sailed... it seems as if a hi-res image DVD or CD is simply a necessary part of any wedding package (if you feel differently I'd love to hear your opinion). I see the future of after-event sales lying in technological products that work on Facebook or iPods and which the client can't easily create themselves (slideshows are great and all, but...). Something which has really caught my eye lately is Animoto. I think it would be a fantastic incentive to make a certain package look even more enticing to a client.

What I'd like to throw out to you guys is whether you would ever sell a (commercially-liscensed) Animoto video as an "a la carte" option. My concern with doing so is that despite the fact the show would carry my branding rather than the Animoto branding, those things are super-simple to create. For $8 anyone can buy a DVD-quality full-length video with the Animoto logo... and if you're a client rather than a photographer, why would you care whose logo was on it or if the music was properly liscensed. I guess the problem I forsee would be the possibility of coming across someone who knows it's an Animoto video and having a bit of a PR nightmare... since if I charged for it I definitely would charge more than $8.

What do you think. Worth the risk? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks so much:D

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    $250/yr?? Wow. Just purchase Proshow Producer and be done with it! :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    $250/yr?? Wow. Just purchase Proshow Producer and be done with it! :D

I haven't used Proshow myself yet, but the real appeal of the Animoto shows for me is that it takes only minutes to set up a really professional looking product. Based on what I've seen of Proshow it looks like producing the equivalent result would take hours. If my "pay" (to myself) is even $25/hour, Animoto pays for itself in 10 hours (or the equivalent of maybe 3-4 slideshows in Proshow I'm guessing). I'd rather not fuss around with software I don't really have the time to learn well, when someone else can do it better and faster than me. That way I can spend my time marketing, booking sessions or answering emails on time.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    I here ya. Proshow, from what I can see and have experienced personally, is ALOT more powerful (in terms of editing capability with transitions, fades, text protocol, motion graphics, etc.) than animoto. Also it has alot to do with me not wanting to surrender creative control over to someone else. I definately see where your coming from. I can finish a slideshow in a few hours. However, I will spend days going back on that draft and just build from there. I would never want to meet "me" as a critic in the public.....there would be a fight! :D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    We had animoto presenting at the Chicago SMUG last night and I gotta say, wow, they've really stepped up the features a lot since last year when I first looked into animoto, I'm actually thinking that I may indeed go and purchase it after all despite the cost. The reason I would go with them are as follows:

1) All music is commercially licensed if you use it from their library so you don't have to worry about the RIAA coming after you later when you're selling music embedded into videos... you're going to pay at least 45 bucks most likely to get a commercial license for a song if you go through Triple Scoop or a similar place for your music, so just a thought.
    2) A recent feature is the ability to put stills AND video clips in the videos, this feature is probably my favorite that they've added since last time I investigated animoto and I am highly impressed
    3) By having the videos without branding you don't have to tell the clients where it was created, good if you are re-selling it as a product to clients. We had a couple photographers at the SMUG last night that do indeed sell these to their clients and recoup their yearly animoto cost pretty easily
    4) Time needed to create an animoto versus time needed to do a video in ProShow is a huge factor for someone as busy as I am. Photography is not my main job, so any time I can free up on the weekends by a program as simple as animoto is money back in my pocket at the end of the day. That's why I make my albums in Lumapix FotoFusion and not an Adobe Photoshop or Design program... that software cuts my creation time down *drastically* while still providing excellent results for my clients.
    5) Also there's a rumor of more smugmug integration very soon, but I'm not going to say much more than that ~_^
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Very cool. Thanks for the info Shima.

It's so frustrating sometimes living up here in Canada... all the cool workshops / Smug groups / etc happen in the States. At least I live reasonably close to New York.

Cheers.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Animoto is a great service (I'm a paying member), but the resulting slide shows are quite the high-energy, frantic, MTV-style music videos. Even if you put slow tempo music to it, the effects and transitions are still rather quick, modern & edgy. While this is great for sports, action, fun candids or party oriented imagery, i think you would find that most wedding clients would want their wedding ceremony video to be more romantic, refined, and subtle. A high-energy reception, on the other hand, could be a good fit for animoto.

You're right though, doing a full-length presentation in ProShow Producer (which is a fanastic product) often takes many many hours (if not days) if you are really keen on getting the images in sync with the music, customizing the pans and zooms, etc. Of course, you can deliver results that are far more tailored to your client and charge accordingly.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Chris, is that the case (too speedy) even with the option to run the show at 0.5 speed?
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Cmau wrote:
    Chris, is that the case (too speedy) even with the option to run the show at 0.5 speed?

Craig,

here's a sample animoto vid
    I just generated for you using the 1/2 speed option. It definitely slows the pace of how long it lingers per image, but it doesn't really tone down the effects and transitions. However, this may be acceptable to some wedding couples. :)

warning: the video contains pretty ladies and bikinis from a couple of recent shoots. hope you don't mind.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Does anyone actually have one of a wedding? I've seen a ton of these that worked really well for fast stuff... I've yet to see actual wedding images held up as an example.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    We use Animoto at my workplace (Mini-Photo Lab/Camera Store/Photo Studio)... Its usually for seniors and sport packages though.

I personally think it doesn't work with weddings... Perhaps with some couple's that's exactly what they want, but I feel that most would want the slow romantic video that lingers on each picture longer so they can actually see whats in it instead of just a sneak peak.

I use ProShow Producer to make my slide shows... depending on how many pictures being used, you could generate a slide show like animoto in an hour or so... spend more time to make it perfect... and perfect = mo monay $$

But yeah, perfect COULD mean a couple days - just depends on how much of a perfectionist you are - and your client's expectations.
    Jer
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I checked out the video and though I like the idea of using Animoto (My first experience seeing one was at the Atlanta WPPI Road Trip event), I don't like the strict youthfulness of it. The "rock-like, high energy" is GREAT for HS Seniors, but not so much for 40yos getting married.

I don't know how you all are creating your ProShows, but it only takes me 30 minutes or so. Now, I have been using it a while and some of the things I repeat in my DVDs, but it does not take hours and certainly not days.

Just my 2 cents, don't shoot me! :D
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    I've been messing around with my commercial account trial that they granted me at the SMUG...

so here's a wedding one :) (it's a mixture of my portfolio work)

I will have an example of an animoto video using photos and video by tomorrow, I created a video of my new kitten on animoto using a combination of my point & shoot pics, point & shoot hd video, and 5dMkII pics of my kitten... will post it here for you to see once I finish getting the higher res version created and uploaded to smugmug.

PS - the photos in my slideshow above are watermarked because when animoto imports from smugmug it grabs the watermarked versions, not the originals :(
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Does anyone actually have one of a wedding? I've seen a ton of these that worked really well for fast stuff... I've yet to see actual wedding images held up as an example.
    This guy posted this excellent video a while ago. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=142965
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    I'm going to start sprucing up the slideshows I put on the portfolio galleries w/ animoto now, figured out how to embed the full size high res versions that I upload to smugmug and I'm loving how it looks :)

This is the first one I set up like that:

• Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Great stuff Cat. Just a suggestion (and only an opinion :D) so take with a grain of salt. Your images can't be hi-jacked or pirated (is that even a word? :D) from the slideshows, right? The watermark/copyright logo, to me, is kind of distracting. Here's why. In each image you only get a second or two to realize the context of the moment. Your watermark is competing with your own images. I found myself wanting to study the image but then also got drawn to the bright white watermark. By the time I registered the pic, it was of course, history. Animoto is a great application but in this instance, is taking away from the purpose I feel. For slideshows such as this, simply 86 the watermark and include an intro, as you have.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Great stuff Cat. Just a suggestion (and only an opinion :D) so take with a grain of salt. Your images can't be hi-jacked or pirated (is that even a word? :D) from the slideshows, right? The watermark/copyright logo, to me, is kind of distracting. Here's why. In each image you only get a second or two to realize the context of the moment. Your watermark is competing with your own images. I found myself wanting to study the image but then also got drawn to the bright white watermark. By the time I registered the pic, it was of course, history. Animoto is a great application but in this instance, is taking away from the purpose I feel. For slideshows such as this, simply 86 the watermark and include an intro, as you have.

No they can't be hijacked, the only reason it's on there is because I do the import from smugmug option and the stupid importer won't take the unwatermarked copies... it's really fustrating because smugmug has my originals and could send them the unwatermarked versions... so no offense taken, it's my top complaint for the smugmug / animoto integration...
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    No they can't be hijacked, the only reason it's on there is because I do the import from smugmug option and the stupid importer won't take the unwatermarked copies... it's really fustrating because smugmug has my originals and could send them the unwatermarked versions... so no offense taken, it's my top complaint for the smugmug / animoto integration...

Maybe create unlisted galleries with unmarked images for these?

Caroline

P.S. They look good, Cat.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Maybe create unlisted galleries with unmarked images for these?

Caroline

P.S. They look good, Cat.

yes that would work but it doubles my efforts which is the problem I have with that idea, I already have all the images I want in these galleries ... why should I have to either remove the watermarks (which takes time to take effect as we know) and then as soon as I import to animoto have to go and re-apply the watermarks... or your suggestion....upload all the images a second time to smugmug when they're already on smugmug and the originals don't have watermarks? at that point if I have to re-upload, I'm better off just uploading them straight to animoto... I personally think smugmug could make this much better an experience if they just allow animoto to import the originals in the first place

just my 2 cents...and yes I already emailed this as a suggestion to both animoto and to smugmug so if we're lucky it will get put on the radar.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    yes that would work but it doubles my efforts which is the problem I have with that idea, I already have all the images I want in these galleries ... why should I have to either remove the watermarks (which takes time to take effect as we know) and then as soon as I import to animoto have to go and re-apply the watermarks... or your suggestion....upload all the images a second time to smugmug when they're already on smugmug and the originals don't have watermarks? at that point if I have to re-upload, I'm better off just uploading them straight to animoto... I personally think smugmug could make this much better an experience if they just allow animoto to import the originals in the first place

just my 2 cents...and yes I already emailed this as a suggestion to both animoto and to smugmug so if we're lucky it will get put on the radar.

I agree. The whole point of Animoto is to reduce your workload.
  • Options
    AnimotoBeckyAnimotoBecky Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009

Here are some wedding examples that I think showcase that Animoto can do a more subdued style as well:

http://animoto.com/photography/case_studies#davidmartschinske

http://animoto.com/photography/case_studies#douggordon

http://animoto.com/photography/case_studies#kevinkubota

http://animoto.com/play/pXx3Za5OUNIuwTzTGCfZWw?autostart=true
    Animoto Pro now has $39 Trial Pricing:
    http://animoto.com/photography/upgrade
    Pro-Exclusive Styles are here:
    http://animoto.com/photography/elegance

• Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the replies clap.gif. Never expected this thread to get so busy.

I found another nice one by Gavin Seim... not quite the slow traditional wedding-type music, but I like it a little more upbeat anyway.

http://seimweddings.com/category/weddings
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    I modified the embed code for my site so it embeds at the full high res size once I upload that to smugmug, here's a recent wedding that I was very pleased w/ animoto's output from. (and yes I removed the watermarks temporarily from the gallery before I sent them to animoto so no watermarks this time!)

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    chrisdg wrote:
    Craig,

here's a sample animoto vid
    I just generated for you using the 1/2 speed option. It definitely slows the pace of how long it lingers per image, but it doesn't really tone down the effects and transitions. However, this may be acceptable to some wedding couples. :)

warning: the video contains pretty ladies and bikinis from a couple of recent shoots. hope you don't mind.

My problem with Animoto is their music selection is limited. They are all too upbeat.

I'm not a client yet and I did a few shorts. The slow down feature is not available in the free shorts. Here's a quick & dirty effort with different subject matter.

http://animoto.com/play/rMD65BE6hqn0PQYNuLejWQ
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    torags wrote:
    My problem with Animoto is their music selection is limited. They are all too upbeat.

I'm not a client yet and I did a few shorts. The slow down feature is not available in the free shorts. Here's a quick & dirty effort with different subject matter.

http://animoto.com/play/rMD65BE6hqn0PQYNuLejWQ

They've got over 500 songs and I can assure you some of the instrumental songs can be very slow and not as upbeat.

That being said if you've got the pro account the slow down feature is really nice if you want to use a faster paced song but not have the photos fly by quickly.
  • Options
    EketelonEketelon Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    This MAY be old news to some of you but I only just found this out the other day...ProShow now has a Lightroom plugin!! I used it the other day and it worked great!!

I used Lightroom for 90+ percent of my PP and this saves me several steps in prepairing my DVDs.
    Lover of God and Fisher of Men for Christ
    Bodies: Nikon D300 & D70
    Lens: Sigma 28-70/2.8, Nikon 18-70, 50mm/1.4, 70-200
    Lights: SB-600, Alien Bees 400 & 800
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hi Cat,

Just a heads-up that we're working on getting that Watermark issue squared away!
    Shima wrote:
    I modified the embed code for my site so it embeds at the full high res size once I upload that to smugmug, here's a recent wedding that I was very pleased w/ animoto's output from. (and yes I removed the watermarks temporarily from the gallery before I sent them to animoto so no watermarks this time!)

<object height="480" width="864">

<embed src="http://photos.cathoffman.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; flashvars="s=aT02OTM0NDM2OTkmaz1rclFRUyZhPTEwMDUyNzMxX3V4MkRVJnU9c2hpbWEmZT0x" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="480" width="864"></object>

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Real quick question: is there any way for Animoto to autoplay when sharing on other websites?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Real quick question: is there any way for Animoto to autoplay when sharing on other websites?

There actually is a secret way that you can rig an embed to autoplay. Here it is:
    You add variables and values with slashes, just before /widget.js -- like /autostart/true/widget.js

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thanks for that :) I had meant the embed though, since the widget won't show up on myspace (only place I've tried to upload). I put but it doesn't work.

I hope I'm not highjacking the thread. I'd be more than happy to pm.