Problems with 40D shutter button?

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited October 20, 2009 in Cameras
So today I was out shooting, and out of the blue the 40D stopped taking pictures. I can push the button down and the camera will autofocus, but it will not release the shutter. There are no error messages either. I kept shooting with my other camera and when I got home I noticed that the screen on the back of the 40D was not working either. But the screen on the top works. I called canon (before I noticed the back screen wasn't working) and they said that I could take the batteries out and see if that would reset the camera, but that it might be a faulty shutter button. I did take the batteries out, and put them back in and the camera works fine, but I am afraid it might happen again. Suggestions about what might be going on? oh and the batteries were fully charged this morning and worked fine in the other camera as well.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    Probably dirty contacts, either on the battery contacts or inside the camera contacts. Use a fresh red pencil eraser and gently scrub the contacts, making sure any eraser dust falls away from the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy!

I use the grip, do I need to worry about the contacts between it and the body as well? Or just worry about the contacts between the grip and the battery? (I know this might sound stupid but I just want to give myself the greatest change for success)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy!

I use the grip, do I need to worry about the contacts between it and the body as well? Or just worry about the contacts between the grip and the battery? (I know this might sound stupid but I just want to give myself the greatest change for success)

All of the mentioned contacts can cause problems and should be cleaned. If the problems persist remove the grip and test without it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums