Focus issues with Canon 40D's??

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Cameras
Two months ago i purchased a Canon 40D from Adorama. I like the camera, however it is a little big for my small hands and makes my wrists sore after shooting for a couple hours. I've been using it more lately than my Rebel XS because it's faster, but I'm finding my pictures just don't come out as sharp as my Rebel's. I read somewhere on the net today (can't recall now) where people have had problems with 40D's and the focus mechanism. I thought it was me, but now I'm thinking it's the camera. No matter what lens I use, it seems to have a hard time focusing sometimes and even when I think it has focused properly, I look at the photos later and they aren't that sharp. Disappointing as heck! i want to return it now. Anyone else had this problem with this camera? :huh

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    Do not use the camera's LCD to judge image quality because the 40D LCD is pretty bad. The 40D is indeed capable of very sharp results and accurate AF.

Do you have any example images of the problem? (Preferably images with full EXIF.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I rarely ever use the LCD actually. If I don't have cheater-readers on I can't see it anyway. Laughing.gif Dorky question . . how do I present a pic with EXIF here? headscratch.gif Never done it before. I appreciate your time.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Do not use the camera's LCD to judge image quality because the 40D LCD is pretty bad. The 40D is indeed capable of very sharp results and accurate AF.

Do you have any example images of the problem? (Preferably images with full EXIF.)
    edited October 21, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    ... Laughing.gif Dorky question . . how do I present a pic with EXIF here? headscratch.gif Never done it before. I appreciate your time.

If you use an image sharing host, like SmugMug for instance, you simply provide a link to an original JPG image (or a JPG derived from RAW with EXIF intact), making sure that you have sharing turned on and allow original images to be shared.

To insure that the EXIF "is" intact, use either an image viewer or image editor that allows EXIF viewing and check the images yourself.
    ziggy53
    edited October 21, 2009
    Ok, here goes.... I hope you can get the EXIF info from these. Please tell me, are these OOF shots my doing? What am I doing wrong? Or is it the camera? I have heard of focus probs with 40Ds but this could be that I'm remiss somewhere too. I took almost identical photos in between these where were totally sharp. At times, it just seemed like my camera refused to focus. headscratch.gif I really appreciate your time and help with this.
    Carrie

686475648_DhMB3-M.jpg
    686479755_uocUh-M.jpg
    686472297_JAT9Z-M.jpg
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you use an image sharing host, like SmugMug for instance, you simply provide a link to an original JPG image (or a JPG derived from RAW with EXIF intact), making sure that you have sharing turned on and allow original images to be shared.

To insure that the EXIF "is" intact, use either an image viewer or image editor that allows EXIF viewing and check the images yourself.
    edited October 21, 2009
    Sorry, no EXIF in these and the size is too small to see any problems in focus. You are using SmugMug, so please choose the original size and link to that original images. A link is fine, you don't need to post the actual image.

As a for instance, in Owner View, right-mouse-click on the "Original" view and "Copy Link Address".

Now, in DGrin, choose "Insert Link", and paste the link address you just copied. Here is an example to one of my images:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8988453_6djcB#597567835_5cWtm-O-LB

(Alternately, I actually open the Original image on my computer, right-mouse-click on the image and "Open Image in New Window", and then copy the image address from the browser and paste that address in the DGrin link, like so:)

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/597567835_5cWtm-O-1.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited October 21, 2009
    I'm just not getting this. What do you mean by Original View? I'm not seeing that anywhere. Sigh. I really want to get to the bottom of this, but I'm not having any luck with your directions (sorry). . . I feel really retarded right now. :cry

ziggy53 wrote:
    Sorry, no EXIF in these and the size is too small to see any problems in focus. You are using SmugMug, so please choose the original size and link to that original images. A link is fine, you don't need to post the actual image.

As a for instance, in Owner View, right-mouse-click on the "Original" view and "Copy Link Address".

Now, in DGrin, choose "Insert Link", and paste the link address you just copied. Here is an example to one of my images:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8988453_6djcB#597567835_5cWtm-O-LB

(Alternately, I actually open the Original image on my computer, right-mouse-click on the image and "Open Image in New Window", and then copy the image address from the browser and paste that address in the DGrin link, like so:)

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/597567835_5cWtm-O-1.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I'm just not getting this. What do you mean by Original View? I'm not seeing that anywhere. Sigh. I really want to get to the bottom of this, but I'm not having any luck with your directions (sorry). . . I feel really retarded right now. :cry
    Ziggy means like this I think: for the link
    http://www.tomwisephotos.com/Photography/Mega-Challenge/7422664_NdBkc#688837320_JzgKj-O-LB

and here's how: See below; When you are in your gallery, mouse over the lightbox and you see the red thumb/green thumb...below that is different sizes you can show or right click and copy link location...so you can post that here..in a thread~He said to use the original and right click that for your link location....it is overwhelming at first....but you'll get there...mee too someday~:D
    688837320_JzgKj-L.jpg
    tom wise
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    May I ask what lenses you are using with your 40D? I haven't had focusing trouble with mine, but I do notice that some lenses are faster/more accurate than others.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 22, 2009
    Here is the official tutorial on posting images. Posting links is very similar. Again, we need links to the original sized images.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138
    ziggy53
    edited October 22, 2009
    I use a 70-200mm f4 L, a 17-40mm f2.8L WA, and a 100mm Macro. All Canon.
    Ziggy, thanks for posting the thread and I'll look into that and try this again. I appreciate you putting up with me and my head-scratching. lol
    Elaine wrote:
    May I ask what lenses you are using with your 40D? I haven't had focusing trouble with mine, but I do notice that some lenses are faster/more accurate than others.
    edited October 22, 2009
    Ohhhh!! I get it now, Tom!! I'm extremely visual (duh, I'm a photographer!) so if I can see what peeps are talking about, that helps immensely. Thank you!! :) Be back in a few ...
    angevin1 wrote:
    Ziggy means like this I think: for the link
    http://www.tomwisephotos.com/Photography/Mega-Challenge/7422664_NdBkc#688837320_JzgKj-O-LB

and here's how: See below; When you are in your gallery, mouse over the lightbox and you see the red thumb/green thumb...below that is different sizes you can show or right click and copy link location...so you can post that here..in a thread~He said to use the original and right click that for your link location....it is overwhelming at first....but you'll get there...mee too someday~:D
    688837320_JzgKj-L.jpg
    edited October 22, 2009
    Does this work?
    http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686472297_JAT9Z-L-LB

When I right click on the window, the dropdown doesn't give me an option for "copy link location." I cut and pasted the browser link. Hmmmm.
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Ohhhh!! I get it now, Tom!! I'm extremely visual (duh, I'm a photographer!) so if I can see what peeps are talking about, that helps immensely. Thank you!! :) Be back in a few ...
    edited October 22, 2009
    .... there also is no option for "original" in my lightbox.

GoofBckt wrote:
    Does this work?
    http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686472297_JAT9Z-L-LB

When I right click on the window, the dropdown doesn't give me an option for "copy link location." I cut and pasted the browser link. Hmmmm.
    edited October 23, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Does this work?

That gallery is password protected.

If you would, please open the gallery as "Owner", meaning that you have to log into your account, and under the "Tools" menu, "This Gallery" and "Customize Gallery", make the following selections:

689936059_mWDVp-O.jpg

Security and Privacy
    Password - Either delete the password or give it to us, you can change it later or reinstate it later.
    External Links - Yes
    Protected - No
    Largest Size - click on "Original"

Social
    Easy Sharing - Yes

PS - if you don't want to make these changes in this gallery, just make a new temporary gallery with these attributes and upload fresh copies of the images in question to the new gallery.
    ziggy53
    edited October 23, 2009
    I did log in and go in as owner. :/ I think I give up now. Laughing.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That gallery is password protected.

If you would, please open the gallery as "Owner", meaning that you have to log into your account, and under the "Tools" menu, "This Gallery" and "Customize Gallery", make the following selections:

689936059_mWDVp-O.jpg

Security and Privacy
    Password - Either delete the password or give it to us, you can change it later or reinstate it later.
    External Links - Yes
    Protected - No
    Largest Size - click on "Original"

Social
    Easy Sharing - Yes

PS - if you don't want to make these changes in this gallery, just make a new temporary gallery with these attributes and upload fresh copies of the images in question to the new gallery.
    edited October 23, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:

But did you make the changes Ziggy suggested?
    Elaine

edited October 23, 2009
    I sure hope this works this time. :/ Here are just 3 in question of many that seemed to come out OOF when other with same lighting, etc. were crisp. Thanks for all your time and trouble on this. If this doesn't work, I'll just give you the password.

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686472297_JAT9Z-O-LB

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686473339_aaiPc-O-LB

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686476515_ZAbsN-O-LB

GoofBckt wrote:
    edited October 23, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I sure hope this works this time. :/ Here are just 3 in question of many that seemed to come out OOF when other with same lighting, etc. were crisp. Thanks for all your time and trouble on this. If this doesn't work, I'll just give you the password.

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686472297_JAT9Z-O-LB

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686473339_aaiPc-O-LB

http://www.ghostdancephotography.com/Private-Shoots/Paul-Rehn/10025649_edNL2#686476515_ZAbsN-O-LB

Fantastic. thumb.gifclap.gif

The first image looks to be both mis-focussed and a little camera shake.

The camera shake appears to be the result of a relatively long shutter speed (1/50th) and a longer focal length (98mm, exacerbated by the narrower FOV of the 1.6x crop). I'll presume that you used the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM. Was the IS turned on?

Image #2 is just a little soft, and I could probably get it looking pretty good with some advanced sharpening. Again, the shutter speed is pretty slow, 1/40th, and I think that is part of the problem.

Image #3 has no flash fill, and there is a definite shake. With a focal length of 131mm and a shutter of 1/40th it is not surprising.

Based on these images I would suggest using a tripod, and turning off the IS (not needed on a tripod and the IS may go into a feedback loop, actually creating shake). Using either a remote release or careful technique can help prevent any shake while on the tripod.

In better light, and faster shutter speeds, the IS should work well and a tripod is not needed. (At these focal lengths I would suggest 1/125th with the IS on.)
    ziggy53
    edited October 23, 2009
    Ziggy, you absolutely ROCK!! Thank you so much, for your help, insight and saintly patience. That's exactly what I needed. I big AHA! (((HUG))) iloveyou.gif

ziggy53 wrote:

The camera shake appears to be the result of a relatively long shutter speed (1/50th) and a longer focal length (98mm, exacerbated by the narrower FOV of the 1.6x crop). I'll presume that you used the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM. Was the IS turned on?

Image #2 is just a little soft, and I could probably get it looking pretty good with some advanced sharpening. Again, the shutter speed is pretty slow, 1/40th, and I think that is part of the problem.

Image #3 has no flash fill, and there is a definite shake. With a focal length of 131mm and a shutter of 1/40th it is not surprising.

Based on these images I would suggest using a tripod, and turning off the IS (not needed on a tripod and the IS may go into a feedback loop, actually creating shake). Using either a remote release or careful technique can help prevent any shake while on the tripod.

In better light, and faster shutter speeds, the IS should work well and a tripod is not needed. (At these focal lengths I would suggest 1/125th with the IS on.)
    edited October 23, 2009
    P.S. This lens is unfortunately a non-IS lens.
    ziggy53 wrote:

edited October 23, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    P.S. This lens is unfortunately a non-IS lens.

Ahh! That's your culprit! Slow shutter combined with non-IS. I just added a tip to your macro question that address this as well. thumb.gif
    Elaine

edited October 23, 2009
    HA!! I love discovering CULPRITS!! Thanks guys! :) This is way too much fun, I can hardly stand it! lol
    Elaine wrote:
    Ahh! That's your culprit! Slow shutter combined with non-IS. I just added a tip to your macro question that address this as well. thumb.gif