Shoals

wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Shoals above Lower Piney Fall. I went out hoping to find some autumn color but will have to wait a week or so.

p151372744.jpg

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I think this composition has a lot of potential. You have a bit of overexposed waterfall on the rock towards the bottom right of the image though. Combine that with a slightly underexposed dark area to the upper left of the falls and I reason that you shot this sometime between 1 hour after sunrise and mid-day. If you can get back to this falls within the 30 minutes before or after sunrise (or sunset) (or a cloudy day works just as well -- but expect a more pastel light), I think you'll find more pleasing light that leads to a more pleasing image. Couple that with the autumn colors that should be on their way and you'll have a wonderful waterfall image!

p.s. Looking at it once more, try vertically lowering your tripod from where you were standing before and see what compositions you can get. The tree drooping over the falls in this image is a slight bit distracting.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hi Karl, thanks for commenting and your suggestions. The light was harsh, around 9am when I found myself at this location. I wasn't planning on shooting water this day. The area in the lower right I think you may be speaking of was a large ball of foam behind the rock. I agree this could be nice with a little planning and preparation next time.

Wendell
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    Hi Karl, thanks for commenting and your suggestions. The light was harsh, around 9am when I found myself at this location. I wasn't planning on shooting water this day. The area in the lower right I think you may be speaking of was a large ball of foam behind the rock. I agree this could be nice with a little planning and preparation next time.

Wendell

The area I saw was a bit to the left of the foam, between the two rocks in that part of the frame (just below the tree and on the water). It's not a terribly large area, but it looks burned out on my monitor. Looking forward to seeing what you get next time :D

Karl
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Beautiful shot, Wendell! I love the light on the fall leaves and the great shadow detail (without overdoing it).
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com