D90 Bracketing Question...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Cameras
I'm considering moving up from a D40x to the D90 platform for a variety of reasons to include the enhanced sensor, 11 vs 3 focal points, faster focus acquisition time, a few fps faster and better color saturations with internal drive focus motors. One other reason is for the autobracketing feature of which I'm curious about.

So..... I understand you can set up a shot for normal, then give it a command for "x" as both over and under exposed in addition to your normal shot, correct? So in the end we have three images of the same subject of which one is under "X", normal, and one over "X".

My question goes like this..... Do you set up this feature and when you focus lock on a subject and hit the shutter release it fires off three identical images except for the exposure overrides you specified? Or does it setup to where you have to press the shutter button once for the normal shot, once for the over exposure and once for the under exposure? I'm just not feeling the love on how the bracketing feature works., specifically with HDR type mashups in the works.

Anyone care to put to rest how the D90 autobracket function really works in the real world? Sure would appreciate it!

Comments

• JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hey There!- I can tell you what I do- there may be other ways I suppose.Hope this helps.

As far as auto-bracketing with timer release (ie - pressing the shutter release, timer goes off and the camera fires three bracketed exposures) this is what I do
    1. press BKT. Turn Command dial to select 3F (3 frames) and turn subcommand dial (in fron of shutter release) to select stops (1 or 2 usually)
    2.Choose Custom Setting Menu (CSM) c3 (self timer setting) and select the time for the delay time- I usually set mine at 2 seconds. And set number of shots to 3 (this may be a redundant step)
    3. Now select the self timer button. (icon looks like dial and multiple frames) Hit the shutter release and viola!

When using a tripod (or otherwise) you can just use a cable release and not use the self timer mode. Each press of the shutter will be a different bracket and the cycle will repeat after the 3rd exposure.
    You can select if you want underexposed, correct, overexposed- or- correct,under, over exposed as well

I have found that the first exposure is very slightly "off" alignment- at least on my camera, when using the self timer. Manual release is right on.
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler