Options

Kabul Beggar

mosackmosack Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Street and Documentary
481347548_jK4e6-XL-2.jpg
I captured this in Kabul, Afghanistan. I took it from a moving vehicle and through bullet proof glass that was over an inch thick, so I couldn't get quite the sharpness I would prefer...

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I think you did a really great job considering you were moving and you shot it through and inch of PP glass! Looks dry and hot...The only problem that I have with it are the two reflections. One is to the right of his head, and the second one is the white smudge to the left of his head near the edge of the frame on the same level as his head....
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Kabul Beggar
    I appreciate the comments. I did consider removing those "spots". One is a reflection from the glass I shot through and the other is dust on the sensor (I believe). I have received advice from some (journalists, purists, whomever) that prefer that the image is not digitally "fixed" as it takes away from the authenticity to whatever degree and others who want to see a "cleaner" image. I guess it just depends on the forum it is displayed or who views it and their respective preferences. I do have the "clean" version as well, but happened to pick this one, this time mwink.gif

Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I think you did a really great job considering you were moving and you shot it through and inch of PP glass! Looks dry and hot...The only problem that I have with it are the two reflections. One is to the right of his head, and the second one is the white smudge to the left of his head near the edge of the frame on the same level as his head....
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    While I understand you were shooting in a harsh environment, in more ways than one, Mosack, I'm afraid there's just not enough going on in this photo to capture my attention. The point of view removes any background information, while the distance ruins any chance of a "portrait" opportunity, so we're left with just a photo of a person sitting in dirt. For me that's not enough to make the image interesting.
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    I appreciate the comments. I did consider removing those "spots". One is a reflection from the glass I shot through and the other is dust on the sensor (I believe). I have received advice from some (journalists, purists, whomever) that prefer that the image is not digitally "fixed" as it takes away from the authenticity to whatever degree and others who want to see a "cleaner" image. I guess it just depends on the forum it is displayed or who views it and their respective preferences. I do have the "clean" version as well, but happened to pick this one, this time mwink.gif

Terrific image - great shadows. And stick with the "truth" here - in some of the other forums they'd want you to clone out the reflections and to color the burqua. Here, the closer to perceived reality, the better. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Kabul Beggar
    Some images stand on their own. I thought this one filled that bill, but you didn't see it as I did, but then I am probably more familiar with the plight of the citizens here. I realize that some images reach the masses and some, not so many. Sometimes the simplistic approach works as it draws attention to the subject or may even cause one to wonder what is going on in the photo. I found this to present more to me than it did you and that's ok. I see a stagnant or poor environment, devoid of anything interesting and no obvious opportunities available. The subject is a begger who has nothing of any real value and is hidden within her religious attire (the Burqua). Although she obviously follows the "rules", she has little ability to provide for herself or her family, has not been allowed an education by the Taliban, literally treated like property and is relegated to begging on the street. The males in her family quite possibly were killed in the war against Russia or Taliban, which leaves her family without a breadwinner. This is not a choice for her to just sit in the dirt as you describe. The extended and open hand is her only link to her next meal. If you would like to read more on this image and maybe find the missing element, I invite you to go to my website as you can find it and others there and if you choose not to, that's ok too. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your time and input.
    thoth wrote:
    While I understand you were shooting in a harsh environment, in more ways than one, Mosack, I'm afraid there's just not enough going on in this photo to capture my attention. The point of view removes any background information, while the distance ruins any chance of a "portrait" opportunity, so we're left with just a photo of a person sitting in dirt. For me that's not enough to make the image interesting.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    Some images stand on their own. I thought this one filled that bill, but you didn't see it as I did, but then I am probably more familiar with the plight of the citizens here. I realize that some images reach the masses and some, not so many. Sometimes the simplistic approach works as it draws attention to the subject or may even cause one to wonder what is going on in the photo. I found this to present more to me than it did you and that's ok. I see a stagnant or poor environment, devoid of anything interesting and no obvious opportunities available. The subject is a begger who has nothing of any real value and is hidden within her religious attire (the Burqua). Although she obviously follows the "rules", she has little ability to provide for herself or her family, has not been allowed an education by the Taliban, literally treated like property and is relegated to begging on the street. The males in her family quite possibly were killed in the war against Russia or Taliban, which leaves her family without a breadwinner. This is not a choice for her to just sit in the dirt as you describe. The extended and open hand is her only link to her next meal. If you would like to read more on this image and maybe find the missing element, I invite you to go to my website as you can find it and others there and if you choose not to, that's ok too. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your time and input.
    Mosack, I appreciate the explanation and hope you are not taking offense to my critique. A photograph's success to an individual is quite subjective, as I've found out many many times with my own. Unfortunately, this on just didn't do it for me.

I have perused your website and you do have a ton of great work. This image, to me, works well with that set of images but does not stand well on its own. Do you think that it would work as well for you if you had neither the experience nor the collection of images that accompanies it?
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Kabul Beggar
    No offense at all and I really do appreciate your comments. Taking consideration to how an image might be perceived can only make us stronger in our results... While it is true of my personal involvement here and that it undoubtedly will have an effect on what I choose to shoot, or why...I still think this one is stronger, but hey - that's only my opinion and its not any more or less influential than your own. Perception is purely a personal thing. I see that by putting the subject further back and thereby making her smaller in the frame, it adds a level of enormity to her suffering. Enhancing the concept that not only does she not have anything, but any immediate resources are nonexistent as well. I actually thought that this was one of the more appealing aspects of this image as it was not so busy. I didn't want the portrait shot. We don't really know who is under the burqua and that mystery alone strengthens our lack of understanding as to who this woman is or what she's about. She's asking for help. She's in todays Afghanistan and she's asking for help. Politics aside, maybe that's all we need to know as to why we're there. If nothing else, this image got us talking about it...That's the first step to understanding - then acceptance - then peace. Then we all win.rolleyes1.gif
    thoth wrote:
    Mosack, I appreciate the explanation and hope you are not taking offense to my critique. A photograph's success to an individual is quite subjective, as I've found out many many times with my own. Unfortunately, this on just didn't do it for me.

I have perused your website and you do have a ton of great work. This image, to me, works well with that set of images but does not stand well on its own. Do you think that it would work as well for you if you had neither the experience nor the collection of images that accompanies it?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    mosack wrote:
    No offense at all and I really do appreciate your comments. Taking consideration to how an image might be perceived can only make us stronger in our results... While it is true of my personal involvement here and that it undoubtedly will have an effect on what I choose to shoot, or why...I still think this one is stronger, but hey - that's only my opinion and its not any more or less influential than your own. Perception is purely a personal thing. I see that by putting the subject further back and thereby making her smaller in the frame, it adds a level of enormity to her suffering. Enhancing the concept that not only does she not have anything, but any immediate resources are nonexistent as well. I actually thought that this was one of the more appealing aspects of this image as it was not so busy. I didn't want the portrait shot. We don't really know who is under the burqua and that mystery alone strengthens our lack of understanding as to who this woman is or what she's about. She's asking for help. She's in todays Afghanistan and she's asking for help. Politics aside, maybe that's all we need to know as to why we're there. If nothing else, this image got us talking about it...That's the first step to understanding - then acceptance - then peace. Then we all win.rolleyes1.gif
    All are excellent points, for sure, especially the last. thumb.gif

On a side note, I do love this image from your gallery.
    Travis
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Nice photograph.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Terrific image - great shadows. And stick with the "truth" here - in some of the other forums they'd want you to clone out the reflections and to color the burqua. Here, the closer to perceived reality, the better. clap.gifclap.gif

IMHO ok to fix sensor dust spots but not glass flare. The sensor dust could be fixed by some digital dust removal algorithm in the camera. There is no judgement involved in fixing. Just hit the small spots whith the healing brush. But the flare or reflections were really a part of what you would have see. When you looked through the viewfinder. Leave them be.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Kabul Beggar
    It could be argued and quite convincingly I think, that since dust and sand is such an intense part of the experience of being in Afghanistan, that removing it from the image is the same as removing a significant part of the nature of the scene. That would not give the viewer the same quality of experience as presenting a "cleaned" image. I believe that each (original and "cleaned") have their place, depending on the intended use of the image or how it is presented. My preference here would have been to have had the opportunity to get out of the vehicle and take this shot from the ground. I like this one for what is is - certainly... I also would have loved to spend some time with this subject to get more shots to include different views and close-ups. :D

rutt wrote:
    IMHO ok to fix sensor dust spots but not glass flare. The sensor dust could be fixed by some digital dust removal algorithm in the camera. There is no judgement involved in fixing. Just hit the small spots whith the healing brush. But the flare or reflections were really a part of what you would have see. When you looked through the viewfinder. Leave them be.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Since it looks like you've already chosen to crop the image, I think I would lose the area above the solid wall. The background distracts from the beggar. The foreground with the shadow that's the interesting part. Maybe move back to a landscape crop.

In terms of cleaning up dust spots, there's a difference between taking care of your equipment and what ends up in an image. That dust spot could very easily have come from any number of places or any number of ways. IMO, it wasn't "part of the scene."
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Kabul Beggar
    Thanks for the comments. In this case, I chose to keep the view over the wall (though restricted) only to keep a minimal urban feel, but hopefully not enough to be a distraction. I did crop the image, but for the most part it was only to straighten the horizon. If I cropped out the view over the wall, wouldn't that remove any sense that this was in the city? I don't know - good point though and I appreciate it.

With regard to taking care of my equipment - what can I say... :) It happens... I don't have the luxury of being in an area where dust isn't a major factor, no matter how often or "professional" the cleaning. I work in the field, sleep in tents, plywood boxes or shipping containers (Connexs) that have been modified as sleeping quarters. None of which are void of dust or seal up properly. The dust over here often is like baby powder in how fine it is so I try to restrict the amount of times I even remove my lens to avoid that being more of a problem. I considered removing the spots from the image right from the start, but kept this one as I kind of liked that dust spot in the image as it was like a reminder of the environment. I appreciate your view. I think I could put up both images side by side and get those who would choose either one over the other...maybe, but then maybe not. :)
    Mike
    michswiss wrote:
    Since it looks like you've already chosen to crop the image, I think I would lose the area above the solid wall. The background distracts from the beggar. The foreground with the shadow that's the interesting part. Maybe move back to a landscape crop.

In terms of cleaning up dust spots, there's a difference between taking care of your equipment and what ends up in an image. That dust spot could very easily have come from any number of places or any number of ways. IMO, it wasn't "part of the scene."