Options

For the pros....

Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Sports
I need some good feedback on a question.... A Chinese person says that my composition is not very good in these pictures.... I don't know if she is looking at them from a textbook point of view or what.....If there is a real problem, I would love to know.

Oh, I know I said pro, but if you really know what you are talking about I would love your input as well....please...and thank you...

Here are the pictures, please help me out....
If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    To me they are just ok. But, shooting from the stands, you aren't going to really be able to get anything too good. I longer lens would have helped alot, but I know you are limited as to what you can bring in. Also, the colors are a little flat. You might try to brighten them up some in PP. Thanks for the post.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Most of the shots look good, given the conditions. Some of the points your friend may be referring to:

1) some of the shots have the player walking or playing into the wall(ie to the far left or right) some consider it bad composition. Example is second shot on page 1

2) Some of the shots cut off the player's feet , legs , arms and racket. That is usually not done. Example is page 2 # 5 , page 3 # 10, and page 1 #5

3) A few just don't show anything, there is no ball or the action is cut off. Example page 3 #3 and page 4 # 1

You are so lucky, they are 2 of my favorite layers. Some of the shots are real keepers. Congrats
    clap.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hey Aaron...

I'd like to be frank. The first three shots in your album are throw aways. While they do have a celebrity in the shot, they're not doing anything. In addition there is furniture in the frame that doesn't add anything.

The service shots are much better. In motorsports images, there is a bias, that you should leave space on the frame to where the car is going (and not center the subject). Perhaps this could be applied in you service shots (where the ball is going).

Its an old story, the image should have impact to draw emotional response. Removing "stuff" that don't add value to the subject - without removing context; is pretty artful composition technique. Plus you can't please everybody who looks.

Look thru magazines to see how those photogs handle the subjects. Copy them, then develop your own style.

Throw away more than you keep.... (your hard drive will love you for it)

Good luck
    Rags
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Thank you guys so much, even though I know that you guys don't like to click on links!:D And thank you for the time that you put into itclap.gif

Any more?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    IMO this is by far the best
    http://thecs.smugmug.com/photos/679565305_nzNer-M.jpg

Maybe crop off the top a little?

It has good light, nice shadow of the player and good composition.
    There are maybe 3 or 4 other keepers but thats about it.

Could you roam round at all?
    Would be great even if you had to shoot from the walk ways to get some different angles.