Bromham Water Mill

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited October 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
A few shots from inside Bromham Water Mill in Bedfordshire UK. This is a working mill that still grinds flour on a few occasions per year.

All images were taken with natural light and exposures of 1/10th to 1 seconds to try and capture the motion of the elements. Unfortunately safety barriers prevented getting better positions - too much risk of kiddies getting hurt.

C&C always welcome.

#1 The Water Wheel @ 1sec
660212531_hLfpp-L-1.jpg

#2 The Water Wheel @ 1/10th
660213073_xU3ip-L-1.jpg

#3 The Spur Wheel @ 1/4
660216639_9WV2U-L-1.jpg

#4 The Spur Wheel @ 3/4
660211180_dz73J-L-1.jpg

#5 The Spur Wheel @ 1/8
660220753_NnUoa-L-1.jpg

#6 The Transfer Wheel (at least I think that's what it's called) @ 1/6
If you look through the main wheel you can see the cog that actually turns the belt drive.
660221950_kuciB-L-1.jpg

#7 The Transfer Wheel @ 1/4
660219601_ykGUi-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Peter
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Those are some mighty fine images. thumb.gif The transfer wheel shots aren't as interesting to me as the others, but all very nice. In #1 and #2, perhaps you can clone out the little 'water wheel' label. It doesn't really belong there and is distracting. The little labels appear in a couple of other shots but aren't so bright.

I think I like the 1/10s on the water wheel more as you can still discern the blades. Same thing on the other parts, I like the faster shutters a bit more.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Thanks Andrew.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    What a cool place to shoot... nice shots.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 22, 2009
    How cool that it still works. The motion is what sets these pics apart from the usual old mill shots. Very well done. clap.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    This looks like a very interesting place to visit. You got some really good photos there thumb.gif Even made me alittle dizzy looking at them rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 23, 2009
    Roadkill, Richard & Mary thanks for the comments.
    It's definitely a cool place to shoot but like all old mill buildings very cramped, no room for a tripod. Fortunately I could brace myself on the ubiquitous & annoying safety rails.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    AndMan,

Very good captures of motion, especially hand-held. I really prefer the images where the motion is blurred smooth, but all are nice.

Good job thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 24, 2009
    Thanks Randy.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page