Options

would you do this?

camarochickcamarochick Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Weddings
I am just starting my photography business but have done two friends weddings years ago among other things. I am thinking of offering my services for free to a bride as her second shooter just to gain experience and expand my portfolio. Photos would be unedited so other than the day of the wedding it would not take much of my time.

What do you think of this? I don't want her to pay for something and not like it since it would be my first real wedding gig. Would I need her to sign a contract? If so, what should I include in it. I already have all my clients sign a release form and my bachelorette requested a contract so I got one online. I am thinking of doing this for a few different areas other than just a wedding as well.

Thanks for any advise or ideas. I've been toying with this idea for a few weeks and finally just wanted to see what someone else thought. BTW I have been going through the post on here and the photos are just amazing.
Elizabeth "Beth" M.
http://www.lizseventphotography.smugmug.com
Canon XSi

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    To me, two photographers from separate companies at one wedding is a nightmare. It's one thing to second shoot for the lead photographer, but to be a second photographer on the scene is rough and severely limits creativity. I would rather pass.

I think you would get better use of your time if you hired a model and were able to shoot as you want.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I personally would have serious issues with another photographer showing up to a wedding in order to shoot. Second-shooting IS NOT the same thing as 2 photographers photographing the same wedding. Offer your services to WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS, not wedding party! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. My twin sister and her FI are going to pose for me but it's only going to be them in their uniform and gown. No flowers or anything like a real wedding. I also hate most posed photos. I, myself, am a model and love the photojurnalistic side of photography. I guess I could always find one of those "budget" brides and be her only photographer like I did for my friend who could not afford anything for her wedding.

You say go to the wedding photographer to offer to take photos. How would I do that? I would just love to practice before March when I have a coworkers wedding.

Thanks again :D
    Elizabeth "Beth" M.
    Canon XSi
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Contact local photographers in your area whose work you really respond to and ask them if they have a need for second shooters or assistants. Be ready to show a portfolio of photos (esp weddings + portraits). However, remember when you work for another photographer you need to support their work first and foremost, that is why many professional photogs will be very selective when it comes to second shooters who not only will be developing their own portfolios but be supportive of the professional's work and not go off with their client contacts. Nevertheless, I would not suggest offering to be a second shooter apart of another professional photog. They usually have clauses in their contracts stating that they would be the sole professional hired for the event.
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    No. If you are serious about getting into wedding photography, read up on Scott Quier's wedding thoughts which is pinned at the top of this category and read what you will need to know and that sort.

If you really want to get first hands experience, don't go to the brides + grooms for the opportunity, check out local photographers who is professional and whose style you really like. Ask your friends if you could do portraits and action portraits of them and play around with posing.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    kpagekpage Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. My twin sister and her FI are going to pose for me but it's only going to be them in their uniform and gown. No flowers or anything like a real wedding. I also hate most posed photos. I, myself, am a model and love the photojurnalistic side of photography. I guess I could always find one of those "budget" brides and be her only photographer like I did for my friend who could not afford anything for her wedding.

You say go to the wedding photographer to offer to take photos. How would I do that? I would just love to practice before March when I have a coworkers wedding.

Thanks again :D

Just start talking to people :)

I'm in the same boat, never shot a wedding myself but looking for chances to learn... I'm hoping to shoot more with Shima (big smile? lol) this upcoming spring but I shot my first wedding with her a few weeks ago... It was sooo helpful to know her and be able to ask random questions here and there with trying to stay out of the way :) (first time EVER shooting with a flash so yea i missed the whole dont point it directly at them thing at first ha). Find people on twitter, facebook, go to smug meetings... Just see who you can meet... Maybe even call a local photography studio.

I shot a few pictures at my cousins wedding this weekend (was NOT the photographer but had my gear) and got pushed out of the way by the real photographer a lot... ironically she was asking me for advice later on... :-/ weird... but anyways, I felt guilty not being the main photographer so I wanted to stay out of the way...

so my recommendation is like everyone said... contact the photographer not the bride :)
    Just a girl playing with a camera trying to learn as much as she can.
    www.kp-photos.com : facebook.com/kpphotos
  • Options
    CmauCmau Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    My first suggestion would be to offer yourself as an assistant/2nd shooter as everyone else has suggested.

If that doesn't pan out, there's another option I've heard of. I get the feeling you aren't quite comfortable doing something on your own yet, but if I'm wrong, you could always go to churches, speak with the ministers/pastors/whatever and ask them to keep you in mind if they ever come across a couple unable to afford a photographer. Even if you were working for free, you should get a contract signed so everyone knows what's expected. I can't see someone who could not afford a photographer to be upset if the results weren't great, but I would be very upfront and honest about your skills, and I would do EVERYTHING possible to avoid poor results.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    yeah... if a bride of mine dropped another photographer on me i'd be bent. i get people asking to shoot with me from time to time and if they are good its cool. if i dont like their work, i say no. so far more nos than yesses.

matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I am just starting my photography business but have done two friends weddings years ago among other things. I am thinking of offering my services for free to a bride as her second shooter just to gain experience and expand my portfolio. Photos would be unedited so other than the day of the wedding it would not take much of my time.

What do you think of this? I don't want her to pay for something and not like it since it would be my first real wedding gig. Would I need her to sign a contract? If so, what should I include in it. I already have all my clients sign a release form and my bachelorette requested a contract so I got one online. I am thinking of doing this for a few different areas other than just a wedding as well.

Thanks for any advise or ideas. I've been toying with this idea for a few weeks and finally just wanted to see what someone else thought. BTW I have been going through the post on here and the photos are just amazing.

Definitely don't recommend it. - Follow what everyone else says. I have been on the other side where the bride hired me and let her sisters friend be a "second photographer" just to learn.... it was a nightmare for me. This girl was everywhere! Everytime I tried to get a shot, she was right the next to me or in the way. It was difficult for me to do MY job as the actual photographer. My assistant was fed up with her aswell as she was in my assistants way. And my assistants job is to get the shots that I missed. And in a lot of the ceremony shots my assistant took, the girl was right there the way. Dont do it - you'll piss the actual DAY of photographer off.. and you dont want to do that. I would ask a Wedding Photographer if they would like an assistant.

Also make sure you have the right equipment! Within 1 month I went through 3 lenses...finally settled with 2 L series lenses because of the fstop. If you dont have the equipment I suggest renting them from Borrowlenses.com make sure you get one with a f2.8 or lower...

Good luck! The first few weddings I did as the Main Photographer was stressful..but now its just breezy fun :)thumb.gif
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Just like when you are shooting a wedding and Aunt Mary Sue and her hubby feel the need to stand in front of you at every photo opportunity. In the church, they are the ones that sit at the end of the pew and step in front of your view just as you are about to shoot, they are the ones that are out front and centre when you are working on candids. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Definitely don't recommend it. - Follow what everyone else says. I have been on the other side where the bride hired me and let her sisters friend be a "second photographer" just to learn.... it was a nightmare for me. This girl was everywhere! Everytime I tried to get a shot, she was right the next to me or in the way. It was difficult for me to do MY job as the actual photographer. My assistant was fed up with her aswell as she was in my assistants way. And my assistants job is to get the shots that I missed. And in a lot of the ceremony shots my assistant took, the girl was right there the way. Dont do it - you'll piss the actual DAY of photographer off.. and you dont want to do that. I would ask a Wedding Photographer if they would like an assistant.

Also make sure you have the right equipment! Within 1 month I went through 3 lenses...finally settled with 2 L series lenses because of the fstop. If you dont have the equipment I suggest renting them from Borrowlenses.com make sure you get one with a f2.8 or lower...

Good luck! The first few weddings I did as the Main Photographer was stressful..but now its just breezy fun :)thumb.gif

Renting is a great way to start off if you can't fully fund your needs right away and want to figure out what fast lenses are best for you, but you're definitely going to need fast glass for weddings. Like everyone else has said I too agree you should start off by second shooting to get lots of experience and then branch out on your one once you're comfortable with that.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    Thanks so much. I do not have a portfolio yet of weddings since my others were 35mm and the bride/friend kept them but I am working on getting copies. I think after the responses I will just do it for a budget bride as their sole photographer and will start asking around too to see if I can be a photographers 2nd shooter. That way I can move on to shooting weddings myself.

I would feel good helping someone who could not afford one and also not be too worried. I would let them know that I am just starting my business but have taken photos before. I guess I would state something like that in the contract.

Thanks for helping me on this decision. clap.gif

Edit: last night 2 people/friends offered to assist. They are going to shoot a wedding/event with me under my name. One is a "wedding photographer" but does not have DSLR so she's using one of mine. The other is a photography/graphic design major who needs to build his portfolio since does studio work. This means we would have 3 shooters at the wedding (if we can book one).
    Elizabeth "Beth" M.
    Canon XSi
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009

Thanks. I bought what I have when I bought my camera and did not know what else I needed. I am shooting with a Canon XSI with a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm for right now. I have a tripod. I will deff look at that site to see about more before purchasing. I am about to buy an external flash. The one on the camera is awesome and I have never needed one even for my bachelorette party in the dark but I feel I should give it a try.
    Elizabeth "Beth" M.
    Canon XSi
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Welcome to the world of Strong Strobes....Freakishly Finicky F-Stops....Ubiquitous Umbrellas....Subtle Softboxes.....

Shall I go on? :D

Winning the lottery within the next day or two wouldn't hurt. rolleyes1.gif

Addictive is an understated understatement! thumb.gif