Japanese Trout Fishing

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in People
A few pictures of two different Japanese men trout fishing in the Tama-Gawa River. C&C is always welcome.

4032920741_958216144b_o.jpg

4032921265_b08ee954c9_o.jpg

Kris

Comments

• ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Kris,

You're IS is not working so well. What was the shutter speed? aperature?
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Both pictures with shot with a Nikon D80 and a Sigma 28-105 F2.8-4. No VR at all. There was a pretty stiff breeze this particular day, if you are referring to the trees being blurred in the back round. The particulars on the photos are as follows:

1. F4, 1/40 sec, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode, 105mm

2. F4, 1/80 sec, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode, 105mm

I have had some problems with lens creep, despite having the lens repaired once already by a third party shop. Maybe I need to send it back in?!

Kris
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    Both pictures with shot with a Nikon D80 and a Sigma 28-105 F2.8-4. No VR at all. There was a pretty stiff breeze this particular day, if you are referring to the trees being blurred in the back round. The particulars on the photos are as follows:

1. F4, 1/40 sec, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode, 105mm

2. F4, 1/80 sec, ISO 100, Aperture Priority Mode, 105mm

I have had some problems with lens creep, despite having the lens repaired once already by a third party shop. Maybe I need to send it back in?!

Kris

Subject in the image is soft.

It appears that your shutter speed is the culprit. To ensure that you can control camera shake, you need to be at least twice the focal length that you are using. So you should have upped the ISO until you could achieve a shutter speed of 300 plus, since the lens you were using plus the sensor multiplication factor of 1.5 takes your actual focal length to over 150mm.

Lens creep...weren't you holding the zoom ring when you took the picture...if so, then lens creep isn't the problem.

Lens creep is possible in number one, but not likely. Lens creep is usually caused by holding the lens straight down...where gravity causes the lens to extend. The Nikon 18+200 VR's were bad for this.

The second one...not very likely that it was lens creep since you are shooting horizontally.

I think your shutter speed was too low. Raise your ISO and increase your shutter speed to twice the actual focal length of your lens at the time of the photo, and you should improve the sharpness of your images...

Hope this helps...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited October 22, 2009
    Ed - What you are saying makes total sense now that I think about it. I actually never check my ISO that day, except when I loaded the battery in the camera at the house to make sure it wasn't on some crazy setting. The beauty of the critique. Learning and relearning things everyday!

Kris
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    mud390 wrote:
    A few pictures of two different Japanese men trout fishing in the Tama-Gawa River. C&C is always welcome.

Kris

I love the first image; the composition, with the use of the shadows to the left and on the water, the subject framed by the branches; the muted colors - and image. It all works very well, and the fact that it's a touch soft not only doesn't detract from this image, it adds a certain dreaminess to it. I'd argue that what makes a photo outstanding is not whether it's possible to slice your eyeballs open on razor sharpness, but whether the image is can catch those eyeballs - and this one certainly can. Way to go!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thank you!

Kris
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I like the softness to these photos. The first one more so then the 2nd photo. Maybe because the subject is further away.

They use some really long fishing poles.
    edited October 23, 2009
    Dogdots - Thank you. Those fishing poles actually collape down to about 2 feet long. I think they are available in aluminum and carbon fiber, but most of the guys on the river were using the aluminum ones. It is essentially a really long Bream Buster.

Kris