Adam

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in People
I had some time today to play with a single speedlite bounced off the ceiling. Grabbed my husband really quickly and told him to stand. Right. There. Of course he was watching TV *sigh* so I only really have two shots where he seemed engage with the camera.

Not the best; there wasn't room for my gargantuan reflector.

1. (May have went a little crazy in Lightroom, but I liked it in the end). We're going to put the pic on an apron with something clever like "Where's my dinner? (or something cleverer lol) and give it as a xmas present to his family.
688589715_qLgA2-L.jpg
If it's not showing: http://www.krisfulk.com/photos/688589715_qLgA2-L.jpg

688621517_NoLiU-L.jpg
http://www.krisfulk.com/photos/688621517_NoLiU-L.jpg

3. Colored version of #2...Didn't have a grey card so I couldn't get a feel for the skin color. Hence why I did a BW conversion. What do you think?
688592016_4GrDe-L.jpg
http://www.krisfulk.com/photos/688592016_4GrDe-L.jpg

Thanks for looking! Suggestions/comments welcomed :)

Apparently, even the links are not showing. They show sometimes, and sometimes are empty. So for the sake of my sanity, here's the gallery link of the 3 pictures: http://www.krisfulk.com/Family/Portr...88660229_FZCo8

Sorry, guys.

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    2&3 aren't coming up for me.

Which way did you bounce? Looks like you bounced a bit to your right since he's highly shadowed to the left. I'd love to see the SOOC version to get an idea of how your light fell and where you bounced from since I'm dinking around with the same process now... Your final result looks good.

Thing I learned today: using bounced flash as most of the light source and bouncing 45 up and 45 to the right w/o a 1/2-snoot in a room with all walls painted red, AWB does about the right thing. If you bounce behind you, you get a very red picture (still fixable in raw easily). Seems you get enough spill from the forward flash to get something somewhat normal. I was surprised at how different the two angles were -- I expected red in both cases.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    2&3 aren't coming up for me.

Weird! They were fine for me, but when I hit refresh, they became blank! I relinked them so I hope they're showing now.

We have a big window taking up the right side of the room with some shady light coming in because a huge wall blocks the whole window (yea, we have a *great* view -_-) The bg wall is a muddy color green-blue but the rest of the room is white-walled. The light was OCF at full power slightly in front of me and to my right, pointed above and and slightly behind me (a lateral 4 or 5 o'clock if that makes sense).
    edited October 21, 2009
    2 is still down. Saw your message. So the shadowing in #1 looks right, and his skin in #3 is a bit red but the light seems right except you have a lot more shadow there than in #1. What's the difference in how you shot the two?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    2 is still down. Saw your message. So the shadowing in #1 looks right, and his skin in #3 is a bit red but the light seems right except you have a lot more shadow there than in #1. What's the difference in how you shot the two?

He's about 4 ft from the wall in #1, and leaning on the wall in #3.
    edited October 21, 2009
    Got it. In the end, looks like you got great diffusion of the light across his face, so well done.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 21, 2009
    Mmm, website's acting up. Now all my pictures are not showing for some reason, and all I did was click Edit and Save (without changing anything). I put links underneath instead. Hopefully it'll un-jack itself up soon.
    edited October 21, 2009
    Apparently, even the links are not showing. They show sometimes, and sometimes are empty. So for the sake of my sanity, here's the gallery link of the 3 pictures: http://www.krisfulk.com/Family/Portraits/10047701_Kpt6K#688660229_FZCo8

Sorry, guys.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    I can see #3 - that wall would be a very cool effect with a ring flash and the close proximity! As it is - with the shadow only falling to one side - I can't decide if I like that or not; ymmv depending on whether you *wanted* it there.

The light on his face looks nice (and I LOVE your wall colour! thumb.gif)
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Hi.

I really like #1. There's just enough shadow play (coupled with the post work) in his eyes that gives me a moody feel. What ya got goin on here, works! (mo).

I just don't care for the harsh cast on the "close" wall in #2.

:D
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    lucky...my hubby wouldn't dare be my model...but I think it's time to start forcing him.

I really like 1! Yes the wall shadow is harsh in 2+3, but I like it..
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    I really like 1! Yes the wall shadow is harsh in 2+3, but I like it..

+1 for the above. Your number one is much better. Great idea with the apron thing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Lookin' back at them again,,,, what really separates the two is pose and perception. #1 looks very 'manly' and is very fitting for him. I usually don't care for vignettes but in this image, I think it works well. All in all this pic has a lot of character and I vote it *in* for the apron project - It's very nice.

You seem to have a handle on the bounce lighting. clap.gif