Upload to multiple galleries at once?

RealitytouristRealitytourist Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited November 3, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Not necessarily sending multiple threads, but queuing and starting one upload, then creating another gallery and sending an upload there. I'm shooting events where I need to split the event into a couple of galleries (to make browsing easier for the clients), and it's a pain to use the simple uploader.

I know Star Explorer will let you create and queue multiple galleries. Does the Lightroom plugin do that? Send to SmugMug?

Or, can I even open multiple tabs in Firefox and create galleries and start uploads that way? Start one upload in the simple uploader, then open a new tab, go back to the subcategory and create another gallery and start that upload? Would things blow up on me? :D

Mike
Mike

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    This is where StarExplorer really shines. At the end of a soccer season, I organize the images into one gallery per player and a few other galleries. I then queue them all up in StarExplorer, hit Upload and walk away - go to work - go to sleep - whatever.

StarExplorer rocks for creating multiple galleries at once all with the same settings too. It takes seconds to create 30 galleries in StarExplorer whereas it's much, much longer to do in the Smugmug web UI one at a time. If you do this more than once, it's worth getting StarExplorer. With it's multiple threads, it also minimizes the upload time by uploading the next image while the first is waiting for confirmation, etc... And, it's persistent queues mean that if either Smugmug or your internet connection goes kuplut in the middle of the upload, StarExplorer keeps track of exactly what has and hasn't been successfully uploaded and will automatically retry according to the parameters you set or just wait for you to hit upload again.

There really isn't a better tool for reliable multi-gallery uploads.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Or, can I even open multiple tabs in Firefox and create galleries and start uploads that way? Start one upload in the simple uploader, then open a new tab, go back to the subcategory and create another gallery and start that upload? Would things blow up on me? :D

Mike
    I do this all the time. To saturate all three of my cable modems I have a minimum of 6 uploads going at once. It can be tricky as sometimes the browser will crap out and all uploads will stop, but it will work. I've not yet seen a problem where a image goes to the wrong gallery.

Another solution I have to upload issues (since I still have to manually check if all the images made it or not), is to upload everything into one gallery and then just move images to different galleries once up at SM. I still use multiple upload sessions for even this one gallery. Otherwise, I'd only be using one cable modem for upload since there is no capability for multiple streams like on the old uploader.

I've spent about 6 hours dealing with uploading issues today (not all images made it, images in wrong gallery because it's tough to figure out what went where between 6 events and 8gb). It's why I want FTP uploading:
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/294159-ftp-uploading?ref=title
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    SmugBrowser plug-in for FF. I cue up 35-45 galleries at a time and go to bed.

Simply the best option for what you want to do on a $0 budget.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    SmugBrowser plug-in for FF.
    This would just crash on me. Your mileage will vary on third party uploaders. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!