To Recover You First Need to Admit the Problem - Something from Cape Neddick

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited October 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Yes I know, that darn lighthouse again.

Nor'easter came through over the weekend and gave us cold rain and snow (way too early for that). My wife and I headed to York for the color before winter and we always have to stop at Nubble Light. The tide was high and there was moderate surf due to the backlash from the storm. Normally I wouldn't bother posting these but I think I got something a little different. C&C always welcome...

#1 I decided to get low and close to see how it would look. A somewhat different perspective. A wide-angle lens tends to make you get pretty close. After I shot the picture I checked to see how close the water came. At that point I saw I was ankle deep in 50 deg F seawater.

688999683_MWdeY-L.jpg

#2 Normally these rocks are pretty dry but the waves were pushing in pretty far

689000372_rHQEW-L.jpg

#3 The joys of a wide angle lens. I was able get a fairly good shot of what the waves felt like. Surprisingly I didn't get wet because there is a large crack in the rocks just below the camera that channels most of the water away.

689000145_ympqE-L.jpg

Thanks for looking....

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    nice! now whats the problem? addicted to the lighthouse or something like that? there is no such thing...

Images are awesome, some PP nits:

#1 : no nits

#2 is my fav composition...but,
    The top left corner is unbalancing a little to me, it seems quite darker than needed to relate the storm is over there, maybe take a grad tool and lighten it slightly?
    The horizon on the right side? is there any detail in there that can be brought out? is it fog?

#3: can you bring more detail out in the wave?
    Aaron Nelson
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    nice! now whats the problem? addicted to the lighthouse or something like that? there is no such thing...

Images are awesome, some PP nits:

#1 : no nits

#2 is my fav composition...but,
    The top left corner is unbalancing a little to me, it seems quite darker than needed to relate the storm is over there, maybe take a grad tool and lighten it slightly?
    The horizon on the right side? is there any detail in there that can be brought out? is it fog?

#3: can you bring more detail out in the wave?
    Thanks, Aaron.

I wasn't sure on #2 if the dark cloud was dramatic or distracting. I missed the clouds on the right. I'm going back to rework those slightly. I agree with the waves on #3. I backed off on the intensity of #1 to bring out the wave detail but hadn't done it to #3.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Nice set Tom. thumb.gif I wish I had gotten more lighthouses.