Death Valley Star Trails

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's one of a few star trails I shot at the racetrack. With a new moon and clear sky, the sky was very dramatic. This one was about two hours, I believe.

689186403_AzByn-L.jpg

Comments

• Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Truly a stunning shot! And the light in the foreground not only creates depth of field, without adding a certain abstract feel to the image. Well done.
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Very interesting - really cool. How did you add the light to the rock?
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    that is some star trail.. usually to get this streaking effect of the stars it would take more than 2 hours of exposure.. care to share the settings here, and just one question the inclusion of the light on the foreground.. how were you able to keep the lighting control at long exposure?ne_nau.gif
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    that is one wild star trail. i like how you painted the rock. how did you get the timing right on that exposure by the way? i would imagine you could easily over or under light the rock. and what time of the year was the picture taken? the stars seem to go from concave to convex higher up in the horizon... pretty cool.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thank you for the comments. Here are a couple more. The first one we were just playing around but it looks kinda cool. The second was four hours of exposure- kind of looks like you're about to enter hyperspace!

689884010_5x9d6-L.jpg

690056854_45e8W-L.jpg

To answer your questions about the first image, the settings are as follows:

Camera: 5d Mark II
    ISO: 1600
    Exposure: 30s
    Aperture: f/5.0
    Manual mode
    Total of 278 shots stacked in CS3.

The lighting on the rock was done with a flashlight and trial and error. With the small aperture and high ISO all it took was a quick burst of light. I did find it odd how the stars seem to be traveling in two separate paths. The north star (bottom shot above) was about 110 degrees camera left.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Jaw Dropping !
    Great work
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    As far as your hyperspace shot goes...:jawdrop :jawdrop
    Liz A.
    _________
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Wow! Some amazing photos. I even like your test one with the light trail. Have to go to the country side now!

Ian
    edited October 23, 2009
    Its nice to let the camera do the work for you. I just set the intervalometer and took a nap. Quicktime Pro allows you to compile the image sequence into a movie file. It is neat to watch in motion and see the shooting stars appear a few times.

• DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I always heard that longer than 30 min could possibly fry your sensor, is that not true then? when doing star trails and light painting like that, do you usually go for a wider aperture, or smaller...fascinating.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
    edited October 23, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    I always heard that longer than 30 min could possibly fry your sensor, is that not true then? when doing star trails and light painting like that, do you usually go for a wider aperture, or smaller...fascinating.

in this case the exposure was not two hours, but many separate frames that were 30 seconds each, then I stacked them in photoshop. I usually go for a wide aperture to let more light in, and a higher ISO, in this case 1600. There are other threads, however, where people recommend ISO of 200 or so. whatever works.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    in this case the exposure was not two hours, but many separate frames that were 30 seconds each, then I stacked them in photoshop. I usually go for a wide aperture to let more light in, and a higher ISO, in this case 1600. There are other threads, however, where people recommend ISO of 200 or so. whatever works.

What was the reason for doing a huge number of 30 second exposures as opposed to a smaller number of exposures of a few minutes each? Would the final merged image be significantly different?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    but is there any truth in the belief that for long exposures after 30 minutes you run the risk of frying your sensor?
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
    edited October 23, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    What was the reason for doing a huge number of 30 second exposures as opposed to a smaller number of exposures of a few minutes each? Would the final merged image be significantly different?

The exposures could have been longer than 30 sec, but when shooting digital exposures of longer duration there is a whole lot of noise. Since I was using such a high ISO I wanted to minimize noise.
    edited October 23, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    but is there any truth in the belief that for long exposures after 30 minutes you run the risk of frying your sensor?

I suppose it would depend on the sensor. I've done 60 min exposure with no problems.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Great image, the painted rock makes it appear to be of another world.
    wl
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Great work all around!

Love the blue light job, looks like it should end in the hand of gymnast :D

I think the foreground light in the first could be more spread out, but better this than nothing :D
    chrismoore wrote:
    I did find it odd how the stars seem to be traveling in two separate paths. The north star (bottom shot above) was about 110 degrees camera left.

Assuming we are seeing the same thing here: isn't that because you are shooting across the celestial equator, so that some stars are seen revolving around the north celestial pole and the other around the south making two sets of circles.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/