Options

Brookline Village

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Today the Coolidge Corner post office was closed for repairs, which necessitated my walking to the Brookline Village branch - no problem, gorgeous day here - and besides, if my post office had not been closed, I would not have met Mr. Brendan J. Donovan down in the village, sitting on Harvard Street and looking like a photograph that was just begging to be taken. And being a photographer himself (I noticed right away that he held a small camera in his hand, with a mini-pod attached as a handle, same as I do), he was more than glad to oblige.

Mr. Donovan was born eighty years ago in Brookline, on Kent Street - a stone's throw from where he was sitting - and knows Brookline "like the back of my hand." He's a realtor and an inventor and is chock full of stories.

He said I made his day - and he certainly made mine, as this was one of my favorite kinds of days: you know, the weather is just right, people are out and about town, in a good mood and happy to greet one another - and Mr. Donovan was charming, to say the least.

Here are my favorites from today:

1. As I first met Mr. Donovan:
689329185_8ELfu-M.jpg

2. A posed shot:
689330083_goDK7-M.jpg

3. Tit-for-tat:
689323337_mK7aL-M.jpg

4. Mr. Donovan seemed to know this woman who was passing by and joined into our conversation.
689324289_MSCX4-M.jpg

Thanks for looking (be nice, it's my birthday). :barb

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Very nice shots of an interesting-looking fellow. He looks like you made his day!! I think that first one really has his essence. MakeMeShutter needs to come up there to get a friendly street exercise... :D

Happy Birthday :bday :eat :bday
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very nice shots of an interesting-looking fellow. He looks like you made his day!! I think that first one really has his essence. MakeMeShutter needs to come up there to get a friendly street exercise... :D

Happy Birthday :bday :eat :bday

Thank you, Andrew. Yes - I often find that it's the first couple of shots that capture the personality, for some reason.

I think it takes a long time and a lot of experience to get comfortable photographing people - I still have times when it throws me for a loop.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes (which I fairly *begged* for :D)
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Thank you, Andrew. Yes - I often find that it's the first couple of shots that capture the personality, for some reason.
    Proabably because they haven't thought about how they want to be captured yet....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Proabably because they haven't thought about how they want to be captured yet....

That must be it. Sometimes, after a real shoot, I'll discover we only really needed the first image - the rest can get tossed. :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009