First family portrait shoot...

Megs14Megs14 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited October 23, 2009 in People
Here are some family shots I did a few weeks ago. It was my first time shooting the whole family. I struggled some with posing and I know some of the lighting/shadows are a bit off... C&C welcome.

640815321_J46Wd-M-1.jpg

640817217_wRNbJ-M-1.jpg

640812616_TcdxU-M-1.jpg

640818554_63yGg-M-1.jpg

5. Does this work? I can't decide if I really like it or not.
640821907_wdgz7-M-1.jpg

640823979_d89Mx-M-1.jpg

46 North Photography
Megan McHatten
www.46north.com

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    1 - I would like it better if both girls were in the frame.

2 - nice.

3 - the parents appear to lead a sedentary lifestyle, so showing them running through a field doesn't work for me.

4 - the winner of this bunch. However I don't know if it's the way it's been resized, but the girl above the mother looks like here eyes are half closed. Ideally the girl above the father would not have her chin behind his head.

5 - for a shot like this I would prefer their heads higher in the frame, up around the top third. I would frame this diagonally with their heads at the top right and their knees at bottom left. Alternatively I'd want to make them an element of a landscape shot. As it is I'd delete it.

6 - very cute.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Good effort!

#1 I like it, though I wish the far girl was turned a bit more toward the camera. The running into the frame wasn't as bothersome to me.
    #2 Nice shot. Here I wish there wasn't the cropping of her back side.
    #3 Would have been fine if all 4 were running. Looks like a downward progression of interest in the idea from left to right.
    #4 Would have been great if the top-left girl was looking at the camera (or had her eyes open, not sure which it is), and the other girl needed to be up a bit to not crop her chin. The overall pose and setting is nice.
    #5 Her hand is cropped and she doesn't seem to be into the shot as an idea. I think her arm should have been on his arm.
    #6 Love it. Sweet shot.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Megs14Megs14 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, it really helps. A few notes...
    I know the girls look like their eyes are closed, but they really aren't. In almost every photo they look like that, but when I zoom in close I can see that they are really open.
    As far as them looking like they lead a sedentary lifestyle, I think was a bit off. What does that have to do with the photo? This family, as with most people here, enjoy the outdoors and grew up working on farms.headscratch.gif

46 North Photography
    Megan McHatten
    www.46north.com