Perhaps a silly question about exposure with a Polarizing filter

Captured ExposureCaptured Exposure Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited October 24, 2009 in Technique
Hi,

I was rotating my polariser at a white background on my monitor and it goes from very light to very dark...does this mean the amount of light getting through would be changing and in turn the number of stops would change as your are rotating it?

Hope that makes sense.:scratch

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Hi,

I was rotating my polariser at a white background on my monitor and it goes from very light to very dark...does this mean the amount of light getting through would be changing and in turn the number of stops would change as your are rotating it?

Hope that makes sense.headscratch.gif

Exactly. As you rotate the polarizer it increases / decreases the polarizing effect - most noticeable if the sun is at 90 degrees to the camera - i.e. off your shoulder. The more you increase the polarizing effect, the less light is getting through and so yes, depending on what you're after, you may need to ope your aperture some.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    Sounds like the light from your monitor is polarized, and hence, filtered by your polarizing filter.

If you shoot in Av, the camera will vary the shutter speed as needed to compensate.

If you shoot manual, you will have to adjust the shutter speed, or the aperture, or the ISO, to compensate.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Captured ExposureCaptured Exposure Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Great, thanks.

Dan