bounce flash technique when shooting vertical?

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Technique
Hi guys,

I'm just starting to learn about bounce flash. So I have a shoe-mounted flash. When I'm shooting horizontally, I bounce the flash off the ceiling. Cool. Now what if I am shooting vertically? How do I bounce the flash that way?

Thanks

Comments

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Hi guys,

I'm just starting to learn about bounce flash. So I have a shoe-mounted flash. When I'm shooting horizontally, I bounce the flash off the ceiling. Cool. Now what if I am shooting vertically? How do I bounce the flash that way?

Thanks

Depends on the flash...

I don't know if you're canon or nikon but the nikon sb400 won't let you turn the flash head. The 600 and up will allow it so shooting vertical you would simply point the flash head up. I apologize if you are cannon, i do not know the equivalent flash models. In any case, if you have a flash that doesn't allow head movement, you can always bounce off the wall or any object you desire. I've heard of people bouncing off other peoples white shirts. Never tried it but sounds like an interesting option.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    Most wedding shooters use a flash bracket to allow the flash to remain vertical whether shooting in portrait or landscape modes.

I'm sure some of them can tell you the specific model they use.

Some just use an off camera cord with the flash in their left hand or on a monopod in their left hand.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Hi guys,

It would help if you told us what camera and flash you are using. Some are more versatile than others.

I use a Canon 430EX flash, which can both tilt and rotate, so I can bounce off ceiling or wall regardless of the camera's orientation. If your flash only tilts but cannot rotate, then when shooting vertically your only option for bouncing is to use a wall -- assuming the flash is mounted directly on the camera's hot shoe. Other possibilities include a bracket, an off-shoe cord, or a wireless controller if your flash supports that. Or forget about bouncing and use a diffuser instead.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Depends on the flash...

I don't know if you're canon or nikon but the nikon sb400 won't let you turn the flash head. The 600 and up will allow it so shooting vertical you would simply point the flash head up. I apologize if you are cannon, i do not know the equivalent flash models. In any case, if you have a flash that doesn't allow head movement, you can always bounce off the wall or any object you desire. I've heard of people bouncing off other peoples white shirts. Never tried it but sounds like an interesting option.

thank you. after closer inspection of this SB900 I found that it can indeed be swiveled that way. thanks a lot!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    There is a button on the side of the flash head. Press it and it will unlock the locking ratchet. This will allow one to pivot flash head to cover (almost) 360° x 180° - giving you all the coverage you could need.