regular snow white with a version of rock star snow white

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited October 25, 2009 in People
I tried SOOO hard to talk my daughter out of being a disney princess for halloween this year...don't get me wrong, we love princess stuff, but i like to be different when it comes to costumes, and not blend in with the rest of the kiddos. For instance, last year she was wonderwoman, and was the hit of the neighborhood. It was so cute! But alas, it couldn't be done this year. She didn't give up on her desperate need to be snow white. so I bought it a little while ago on my lunch break, but in return she had to model it for me. I only had about 20 min. left of break so these are some quick snaps

(Yes, those are my baseboards and my ugly rose/mauve colored walls. I think my next investment is a decent backdrop.)

1. This was actually a test shot. immediately after I went to get my foam board to use as a reflector. I still love this one anyway, and wish that I had thought of the foam board sooner. And i was playing with this processing
690112614_DqanQ-L.jpg

2.690114042_6fWB3-L.jpg

690113044_gdZsL-L.jpg

690114444_TZJEC-L.jpg

5. Rocker snow white..usually she does this with her pinkies up too, :D

690114930_CpFBy-L.jpg

6.small snippet of the foam board is visible, she decided to play with it half way through. thought i cropped it out but i must of missed part of it. have to fix that when I get home tonight.
690116238_SfxxB-L.jpg

thanks for looking and cc always welcome!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Seriously sweet shots!!!! Esp the last two... I like what you did with the first one as well.

In #5 perhaps she was worried about looking like she was supporting the UT Longhorns (they're playing Missouri tomorrow night).:D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    haha..nice shots..sooo cute! next time wipe her mouth downwings.gif

my kids this year will be going as baby chicken and toddler chicken!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    4, 5 and 6 are just beautiful! SHe's such a little doll - that hair makes me go all mom-squiggly every time you post a shot because she's just all girly and adorable!

(PS I just got one of these a couple of weeks ago and, while it's not perfect, it's good value for money and I love it! Much easier than the sheets and mcgyver rigs I was using earlier in the year, and easier to store, too. I've been using both sides with equal regularity and, of course, if you get the subject far enough away from the white side you get a great neutral grey so it's really like having 3 backdrops thumb.gif There's a slightly cheaper one too, but I opted to push the boat out and get the one with the train; not sure that in itself was worth the extra few$ in the end since I'm not sure I'll ever use it, but live and learn....)
  • rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Very nice! thumb.gif

what was your lighting setup?
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    andrew-thanks! afraid to look like she was supporting the longhorns...hmmm, it's possible...dad might not have liked that... rolleyes1.gif

Daniel- is this better? I cleaned it up in post
    690367623_hAXGY-L.jpg

i didn't think to wipe her mouth off first, but good call..
    LOVE the chicken idea! Definitely will need to see pictures of that!!
    I almost had mine talked into batwoman, I don't know why i like little girl superheros so much!

Thanks Diva! I just realized I don't think I know your actual first name, i always just call you diva ;) Anyhow thanks for that info! I think i'll be purchasing that very soon... how do you set it up, is there a stand I need to get as well?

rokklym- thank you! It is an sb600 with a shoot through umbrella, then a foam board to the right for a touch of fill, except on the first one and last two.
    edited October 23, 2009
    Some of the reviews complain that it isn't stable freestanding, but I've just propped mine against the wall and it's been fine. If I use it in the music room, I actually take a clothespeg and clip the loop at the top (there for hanging it, I guess) to the window blind so it doesn't slide over or get bendy, but that's been more a precaution than a necessity. I really haven't found it to be a problem indoors (I can imagine it's totally useless outside without a stand, but in my living room, no problem). It's a pretty good solution for a background that you can't leave out permanently - it folds down to an easily store-able flat disk. Make sure you watch the video on how to fold it up - it's easy once you've seen it done, but will make you crazy if you just try to figure it out!

Just so you know, it's not the same kind of material a reflector is made of - it IS fabric, so it does wrinkle. That's actually the only reservation I have about it - the edge isn't as tight as I expected it to be, and it doesn't pull it taut enough for the tension to keep the wrinkles at bay. I'm not sure if the more expensive Lastolite one is any better . I will say that with a bit of a steam and making sure there's enough distance between subject and bg so dof hides them and/or blowing out the white and/or making sure the black is black... they don't show. A triumph of lighting over creasing, really :D
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Some of the reviews complain that it isn't stable freestanding, but I've just propped mine against the wall and it's been fine. If I use it in the music room, I actually take a clothespeg and clip the loop at the top (there for hanging it, I guess) to the window blind so it doesn't slide over or get bendy, but that's been more a precaution than a necessity. I really haven't found it to be a problem indoors (I can imagine it's totally useless outside without a stand, but in my living room, no problem). It's a pretty good solution for a background that you can't leave out permanently - it folds down to an easily store-able flat disk. Make sure you watch the video on how to fold it up - it's easy once you've seen it done, but will make you crazy if you just try to figure it out!

Just so you know, it's not the same kind of material a reflector is made of - it IS fabric, so it does wrinkle. That's actually the only reservation I have about it - the edge isn't as tight as I expected it to be, and it doesn't pull it taut enough for the tension to keep the wrinkles at bay. I'm not sure if the more expensive Lastolite one is any better . I will say that with a bit of a steam and making sure there's enough distance between subject and bg so dof hides them and/or blowing out the white and/or making sure the black is black... they don't show. A triumph of lighting over creasing, really :D

i would imagine it isn't perfect, but seems like a reasonably priced alternative to my funky colored walls in the house! So does it come down over the floor too?
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    These are adorable!!!! I too have battled with the princesses. I think she is a stellar snow white though and ultimately as they get older you have ABSOLUTELY NO SAY WHATSOEVER in what they wear (Halloween or no Halloween, lol...so get used to that! mwink.gif )

She is a great little model! Loved the expressions and the fill flash looks awesome! I bought some foam board the other day at a hardware store and it was the best 1.69 I have spent on taking pictures! She should have had a big red apple in one of these shots!

I really want an umbrella and a better flash. Glad x-mas is around the corner!

Thanks for posting these!:D
    edited October 24, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    i would imagine it isn't perfect, but seems like a reasonably priced alternative to my funky colored walls in the house! So does it come down over the floor too?

No, not really. It came with a train, but that seems to be intended to hang with the background which kind of makes no sense. I did use it on the floor today, but it's not really much good since the black rim is still there (clone-o-rama.... will be posting shots later). I believe that one of the spendier models has a train which actually hooks over the top of the backdrop, covers it AND gives you a few feet of floor coverage, but if memory serves it was one of the $200+ models - not an option for me just now.

FWIW, I used both black and white sides today and again it was a great success. ALso, I've figured out that if I stretch it while I'm steaming the wrinkles are pretty much history. For under $100 I really can't complain - to get anything this wide it would have practically cost me that much in materials even if I'd done a DIY job!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    5. Rocker snow white..usually she does this with her pinkies up too, :D

690114930_CpFBy-S.jpg
    So. Awesome. lol3.gif

Besides that one, #4 and #6 are my favorites out of these. I like #1 too, but her left side is a bit too dark for my liking, I think?