Suggestions on a compact digital under $450?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited July 12, 2005 in Cameras
I've been looking for something smaller than my G3 but will allow nice pictures from snap shots. So far I've looked at the Canon SD500, Casio EX-Z750, and the Panasonic DMC-FX7. I would like to have a camera with decent video quality, standard battery life, and picture quality. The only requirement I would like is SD memory, and not xD or memory stick. I have seen the SD500 and it's a really nice camera but wonder if I'm missing any others? I understand the quality of images are not great when the camera is so small but I would just be using this for snap shots, and as a backpack camera.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• doctordigidoctordigi Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2005
    I've been looking for something smaller than my G3 but will allow nice pictures from snap shots. So far I've looked at the Canon SD500, Casio EX-Z750, and the Panasonic DMC-FX7. I would like to have a camera with decent video quality, standard battery life, and picture quality. The only requirement I would like is SD memory, and not xD or memory stick. I have seen the SD500 and it's a really nice camera but wonder if I'm missing any others? I understand the quality of images are not great when the camera is so small but I would just be using this for snap shots, and as a backpack camera.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob, I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a P&S for my wife. Right now the SD500 is top of my list. It may not have the very best image quality (it's pretty good) but think of all the shots it will capture simply by virtue of being so portable! It will get taken everywhere I anticipate.

regards,
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2005
    I have the Casio. It does 30fps video too!
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    I like the Canon SD500 as well, I have seen the same pictures and they are great. Also compared to the G3, the SD500 is much faster focusing. I don't need much MP so I might save some money and go with the SD300. I have heard bad things about the LCD's cracking on the SD series cameras but wonder if they are dropped or is this from normal use?

Also I seen the older S410, very tempting since it used CF cards but the video is really lacking. That's the only downfall of the camera is the poor video rate or else I would find a S410.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.