Shutter count on used d200

jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
edited October 23, 2009 in Cameras
Hello all,

I just recieved a used d200 from adorama for $499. I searched for about 3 months on all the reputable used gear sites and ebay. I know people like to talk about the d200 going for 400-600, but from everything I've seen it's more like 600-800 so I was really happy when I scored this one in E- condition.

Anyway, I checked the shutter count when I got it and it's at 126k. Uhhg. I've done a good bit of searchign and it looks like they're rated for only 100k, but most get over that and many get well over that.

I can return the camera for a $600 E+, but they can't tell me shutter count so that could be just as high. Any input form the peanut gallery on this one? I sure do like it a lot more than my toy like d40.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    It does appear that the Nikon D200 shutter durability rating is 100,000 actuations. Since you are around 30 percent over that rating, based on MTBF, there is a fair likelihood that the shutter is near the end of life. The mirror assembly is another moving mechanism and generally rated to be similar to the shutter rating. This would probably mean that if either fails, Nikon would wish to replace the other assembly at the same time.

I would guess that replacement of those 2 assemblies, the shutter box and the mirror box, would be in the $400-$500-ish USD region.

It is an uncertain risk anyway you look at it. (I mean, the better condition D200 could still fail, even with less actuations, and that assumes that it has less actuations. It may have more. ne_nau.gif )

If it were my money, I would indeed exchange it for the extra $100, EX+ rated camera and hope for less actuations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums