One from Zion, NP this Morning...

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited October 26, 2009 in Landscapes
Aaron Nelson, BeachBill, and I did the Subway today! This was my first shot of the day on the hike in.

690523726_aJHvi-XL.jpg

More to come. But first sleep. :snore

Cheers,
-joel

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 24, 2009
    Very nice, Joel.

Don't you love skies like that?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Very cool. Waiting.. .

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Nice opening shot! Can't wait to see what else you captured…
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    What a view! The sky, the colors, the comp - I think it is awesome! Can't wait to see more!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    I hear it was a pretty "brutal" hike. Can't wait to see all the glorious shots. I don't think this old body could have handled it (lol).

Nice opening tease Joel thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    kdog--that is AWESOME! I love everything about it--except that I wasn't there to see such a sight. Can't wait to see the rest!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Great shot! I saw them same clouds yesterday on my way to Cedar, and was wishing I had my camera with me.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Sweet image!

What a perfect Morning!. Day two is now over, and was just as nice, drive save home.

I will process my images next week or the week after that....or the week after that.

Dan, yes the hike is brutal... not so bad if you dont carry camera crap...
    Aaron Nelson
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    What a nice shot. I love it.
    RON
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Lovely photo and great sky mwink.gifmwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    not so bad if you dont carry camera crap...

Not carry camera crap? Well that's hardly a worth while venture then! :crazy

Joel, awesome shot! Love the patern of the clouds, the reflections, the... everything! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:

Joel, awesome shot! Love the patern of the clouds, the reflections, the... everything! clap.gif

Chris, camera crap is the stuff that you pack but never pull out to use. i.e. 24 t/s, 150mm 2.8, etc, etc.... not to mention next time I will filter water when I need a drink, not carry it!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Looks like Aaron stole your shot! Really sweet colors and those clouds are great, hopefully they didn't block the sun too much when you got the the subway!

I would make the same suggestion as I did on Aaron's which is to move in closer (would require getting your feet in the water) to remove some of the elements on the corners which are a little distracting. Still an excellent photo though, can't wait to see the rest from the trip!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Chris, camera crap is the stuff that you pack but never pull out to use. i.e. 24 t/s, 150mm 2.8, etc, etc.... not to mention next time I will filter water when I need a drink, not carry it!!!!

I think carrying 100 oz is fine, but a filter is a good idea. I could get away with a tripod, FF body, and 16-35 and that would be enough. Looks like there's a LOT more water there than when Danny and I visited in early Sept too.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    This is the shot that Joel didn't want to stop for... ne_nau.gif

I'm glad you stopped. Amazing! thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very nice, Joel.

Don't you love skies like that?
    Thanks, Jim. Yes I do love skies like this. nod.gif I just wish they weren't so rare!
    wfeller wrote:
    Very cool. Waiting.. .

-
    Thanks, Walter! I have a boatload of images to process after the weekend. I know you know how that goes. I think this is going to be one of my better ones though.
    Thwack wrote:
    Nice opening shot! Can't wait to see what else you captured…
    Thanks, Thwack! I can't wait to see what I captured either! rolleyes1.gif
    Eia wrote:
    What a view! The sky, the colors, the comp - I think it is awesome! Can't wait to see more!
    Thanks, Eia. More to come soon, I promise. deal.gif
    dlplumer wrote:
    I hear it was a pretty "brutal" hike. Can't wait to see all the glorious shots. I don't think this old body could have handled it (lol).

Nice opening tease Joel thumb.gif
    Thanks, Daniel! The hike was strenuous, no question. Even with a minimal amount of camera gear, you still need a tripod and water and food for the day, extra clothes, etc. There are countless boulder scrambles and river crossings. The trail isn't well marked, and there are many stretches where you're on your own to decide whether to scramble boulders in the river or climb up the steep banks to continue to make progress. The amount of doubling back and exploration certainly adds to the mileage over time. Slipping and getting wet or even injured is a constant worry. I met one jovial dude from Seattle at the Subway who was soaking wet and substantially bloodied from a fall. But he made it the rest of the way and got some killer shots that he showed me on the LCD of his 5DMII. Being as wet as he was, he didn't mind standing in waist-deep water to get the shots.
    redleash wrote:
    kdog--that is AWESOME! I love everything about it--except that I wasn't there to see such a sight. Can't wait to see the rest!!

Lauren
    Thanks, Lauren! Coming up soon, I promise. deal.gif
    Great shot! I saw them same clouds yesterday on my way to Cedar, and was wishing I had my camera with me.
    Thanks, Eph28! The morning clouds were great! I just wish they'd had lasted a little longer. :D

Thank you, sir! Great idea to stop and get the shot. Thanks again for playing host and tourguide. It was a awesome couple of days. bowdown.gif
    Schnauzer wrote:
    What a nice shot. I love it.
    Thanks, Ron! Appreciate the comment. thumb.gif
    Lovely photo and great sky mwink.gifmwink.gif
    Thanks, Awais! Sometimes the elements just come together, as I know you know! thumb.gif
    CWSkopec wrote:

Thanks, Chris! We were in a hurry to be the first ones of the day up to the Subway and skipping all kinds of photo-ops along the way to get there. However, this was one scene for which we just had to make the exception. deal.gif
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Looks like Aaron stole your shot! Really sweet colors and those clouds are great, hopefully they didn't block the sun too much when you got the the subway!

I would make the same suggestion as I did on Aaron's which is to move in closer (would require getting your feet in the water) to remove some of the elements on the corners which are a little distracting. Still an excellent photo though, can't wait to see the rest from the trip!
    Hahahaha! He's welcome to it, especially since it was his idea to stop -- not to mention playing tourguide, getting the permits, etc, etc.

And yeah, you're right about getting in the water, and we were talking about this -- next time we'd probably come better prepared for it. That dude I mentioned previously from Seattle with the bloody legs definitely got some great shots by getting in the water. Personally, I did not want to do the long strenuous hike back in wet hiking boots as that's a recipe for blisters. :nah

Thanks for checking in! thumb.gif
    BeachBill wrote:
    This is the shot that Joel didn't want to stop for... ne_nau.gif

I'm glad you stopped. Amazing! thumb.gif
    Thanks, Bill! I appreciated your knowledge and guidance around the park as well. Not sure what gave you the impression that I didn't want to stop for this scene though. headscratch.gif

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments. It was a great trip, and a great couple of days well spent with a couple of great guys. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • boneywhitefootboneywhitefoot Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    A lovely balanced image
    God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.
    And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://www.lightchasers-nz.com/
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Can't wait to see more!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009

Ahhh... that kind of crap... Most of the stuff in my bag is in the "crap" category so I got a little confused. I'll happily take the 24t/s or 150mm in my bag for ya next time! mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos