Dachau Concentration Camp

bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited December 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Just got back from a 3 week journey in Europe. I forgot my D300 at home when packing so I was forced to use a point and shoot. This was one of the most overwhelming expierences of my life seeing Dachau. I hope you like the photos, again sorry for the quality.

IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1520.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Thank you very much for posting these shots. I would have a very difficult time going to one of these places so i appreciate when someone else is able to keep the memories alive of such a wicked place.bowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif Some of the best images I have ever seen from this hell on earth. Thank you very much for sharing these. It must have been hard to view.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    The P&S quality is actually strangely appropriate for these pictures. The harsh contrast and imperfect sharpness give the impression of very old newspaper photos, which suits this setting well.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    thanks for the kind comments. When I edited the photos I actually did an old fashioned finish to them. On the memorial piece, I did a soft focus on the entire photo for effect. I really appreciate the comments, pictures truely do say a thousand words. It was so overwhelming being there.
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Moving
    The starkness and treatment of these images is perfect. A totally unaware viewer of them would inherently know the story. Captured perfectly.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Howdy,

Strong images, very nicely done!!

Really well seen and captured and the post processing gives them an old period feel to them.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    It is such a haunting place which brings such great sadness. After looking at them I can still see them in my mind. Your p&s worked well. I like your processing of them also. It added to the dark sorrow of the images.

Question -- how could you forget your camera headscratch.gif
    edited October 25, 2009
    I know, 3 weeks in Europe, I packed, re-packed and then had everything at the door. My ride to the airport was late, I got rushed and forgot it. I was so upset.

Just a little info, the first picture was the front gates where you can still see the tracks that brought the prisoners to Dachau.

The sign on the rod iron gate translates to work will set you free. This obviously furthest from the truth.

The words rauchen verboten translates to smoking prohibited. This was a sign on the wall where the prisoners first entered after arrival on the trains. The SS thought it was funny because there were no civil liberties at Dachau and this sign made one feel that they still had entitlement.

The art piece was a memorial piece created once it was determined that Dachau would be a memorial area.

The picture with the fence and the moat are stationed at the gate to Dachau and the bridge to the crematory. There was an 8 foot section of grass that a person would be shot on sight if they went on. If they made it pass the moat there was an electrical fence. One photo actually shows victims being electrocuted on the fence. This part of the tour just killed me. I was so upset.

The next few photos were of the living quarters. After the war they destroyed the living quarters, however they reconstructed quarters 1 and 2 for the memorial. All other sections are now marked with a stone containing a number. Stone 3 and Stone 4 signify where the jews resided. Between the rows of housing, SS conducted torture exercises and army research studies violating individuals.

The crematory was the absolute worst thing I have ever been to. It felt like hell. The prisoners were tricked into believing that they were going to showers when in fact they were going to their deaths. I wont go into the details of the crematory, because I feel that it is so wrong. I actually broke down when I say and old jewish lady visiting at the same time as me. She was so upset and she was with her faimly. It crushed me!!

Anyways, I encourage you to read up about the camp through wikipedia. It is a part of history that I will never understand, however, like one poster stated it is so important to know about so that it could never happen again.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    These are moving images. Thank you for sharing your experience. I visited here when I was 14 and I remember the heaviness and the headache and the heartache I felt upon leaving. It's one of those memories that won't leave.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Images
    Powerfully rendered. Well done.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thank you for posting. Very well captured. Powerful and somber.
    :cry
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 3, 2009
    thanks so much for the comments, I have been so busy lately, I have not had a chance to get online. Again, thank you.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    And some people would like to have us think that this never happened and these places never existed.
    I agree with others thoughts here. Very powerful photos and you did great with the P&S!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Moving. Raw. Sobering.
    --Kres
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    ...wow.....