Options

Trying to transition

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited October 26, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, the skinny is..I need new equipment..I'm starting to outgrow my lenses and gear, but the problem is my normal cash flow can't afford those types of large purchases. Up until now I've been taking pictures for fun and myself, and offer them for sale, just in case anyone wants to buy my work and I can make a little bit here and there...

I've come to the realization that in order for me to upgrade my equipment I'm going to have to start "bending" a little, and start turning some more profit to bring in more money for more gear. As you all know...there's not much of a market (enough to make a sizable amount on) in art photography (i'm talking landscapes, nature, abstract, artistic, etc) because photography is one of those things that everyone thinks they can do...and no one ever buys things they think they can do themselves.

I've gotten offers to do art shows here and there, and have won a couple local photography contests here and there, but the payoff is nothing special. Well the only thing that can really bring in steady money is portrait work. I want to start getting into this market, because so many people have expressed interest, based on the portrait work I've done with my own daughters, and I know if I go legit, thered be a line of people that want my services.

BUT my problem is that I think I'm underequipped. The shots of my daughters work because, well theyre my daughters. I can make them sit in a tiny square yard of fabric in uncomfortable positions holding funny things like fans and lights, while i set up my flash on a chair with a big piece of white cardboard to act as my "umbrella" LOL...that's kind of unprofessional for a paying customer. I only have my 430 EXII as my flash..no umbrellas, or anything. And of course my Canon XSI, kit 15-55 lens, and 50mm 1.8.

Can I start reasonably with this setup? If not what would the bare minimum be to be able to start taking portraits? If it was candid, I'd be in my element...I can just take them outside and snap away...but when it involves lighting and everything I don't have enough. I was thinking of buying a piece of drywall, and painting one side black and one side white, to act as a backdrop...but i still don't know what to do with my lighting situation..

Thanks all for any help you may have to offer.
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Clay,

Please remember you asked. Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert at anything, so take what I say accordingly.

I took a look at your web site and see some nice images, good compsition and some creativity. All good things you need to get started.

But, and it's a big but, creating images that look good / OK / even great on a computer screen can be different than creating an image that will print well.

Creating images that you and your family will cherish for a lifetime is different than creating professional images for others.

You asked if you could get started with your present gear. I would say no. You have enough gear to allow you to learn, practice, try all kinds of techniques and grow as a photographer, but I don't think the gear is sufficient for a professional. Gear is not everything, but (again my opinion) a person holding themselves out as a professional needs a minimum level of gear. Once you have this you can borrow or rent any additional equipment until you can afford to buy it.

You don't have to have the latest camera body, and really good, say one generation old camera bodies, can be had for a reasonable price. Good lenses are very important.

Trying to start any business venture especially when you have a family to support is daunting. Pulling yourself up by the boot straps is very tricky, and more difficult today than ever.

Have you thought about talking to your photography department at school? How about networking with other photographers? maybe try getting an assistant job with an established photographer?

While you can save money buying used equipment, you do need to get good high level gear, and it still won't be cheap.

You don't have money. What do you have? You have ability, desire, time, willingness to learn and work. use that to get the funds you need.

Good luck!

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    no, honestly i appreciate the honesty. I had a coworker ask me to do her wedding, and i turned her down, because I didn't believe I was at that place yet, as a photographer, and greatly because i lacked the equipment needed to truly do the wedding justice. I explained to her that (hopefully) this is the one and only time she gets married, and i dont want to be responsible for sub par photos when she tries to look back on her special day.

I'm not trying to go FULL ON business...I'm just trying to make a little bit extra to afford better gear...the better gear to use towards the photography I really like. I just know that if there is any steady money to be made in this, its in the portrait market. I'm not aiming to be the next studio photographer out there with a full fledged office and a booked schedule or anything, just trying to make this hobby a self funding one.

I don't know how else to put forth my intentions...I hope that clears it up.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    snip…
    I was thinking of buying a piece of drywall, and painting one side black and one side white, to act as a backdrop...but i still don't know what to do with my lighting situation..

Thanks all for any help you may have to offer.

Drywall is pretty heavy; foam-board, stiff art-paper or card is much lighter, and less expensive; I've even used a large, white bed sheet.

Don't get carried away with the idea that you need lots of expensive gear; your customers should be impressed by the results, not by what gear you use. The right gear might make it easier to do the job, but the results are what they're paying for.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    I won't name names (she can pipe up if she chooses), but there is a portrait photog who is active on this site who uses natural light, a Rebel, and a nifty fifty for most of her work. She's AMAZING. Her work speaks for itself. As long as you keep it real and don't pretend to be more than you are (important in all parts of life, I think), just keep doing what you're doing. Keep learning and upgrade equipment as you're able. Good luck and have fun! :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    no, honestly i appreciate the honesty. I had a coworker ask me to do her wedding, and i turned her down, because I didn't believe I was at that place yet, as a photographer, and greatly because i lacked the equipment needed to truly do the wedding justice. I explained to her that (hopefully) this is the one and only time she gets married, and i dont want to be responsible for sub par photos when she tries to look back on her special day.

I'm not trying to go FULL ON business...I'm just trying to make a little bit extra to afford better gear...the better gear to use towards the photography I really like. I just know that if there is any steady money to be made in this, its in the portrait market. I'm not aiming to be the next studio photographer out there with a full fledged office and a booked schedule or anything, just trying to make this hobby a self funding one.

I don't know how else to put forth my intentions...I hope that clears it up.

you have enuff equipment to do portrait work....more than enuff....what you do need to do is too learn how to use that equipment to its fullest.....Read books on portraiture..(get a library card....you do not have to buy all these books){I would recommend you buy The Hotshoe Diaries by Joe McNally and The 3 vol set of The Digital Photogry Book by Scott Kelby....these books will be a tremdous help also for lighting study the strobist.com website tons of good info}

...what PRO current or past do you really like their work, if they write books read them.....look at what the photogs of the past used.....so many real pros used 1 or 2 lenses and for a lot that was a 50mm for some it was a 90 or 100mm portrait lens.....others it was the wide angle that finally made their style......so take that 50 and learn it inside and out......or the zoom lens.

Do only avaible light shooting for now to make money for the better equipment....this is a fantastic time of year to shoot out doors in the parks, back yards and such....hope you have a tripod......

......get another flash {~$250} so that you can get a little creative with lighting and 2 cheap light stands , umbrellas .....probably for under $500 you can out fit yourself for studio shooting.......learn everything your flash will do...even if that means buying a DVD that teaches everything it will do or a book on it.............

you can buy a combo blk and white backdrops off ebay for just over $100 with backdrop stand...........now there is a blk and white backdrop + stand for 129+shipping.....lighter and safer than drywall or anything like that.......these will get you started......

I did not list a light meter....since you do not want to go full blown pro.....so chimp the hell out of your shooting.....get a satisfactory lighting set up and never change it....mark your clients position with gaff tape so you can sit them or stand them in the same area and never have to change lighting and you can work faster.......after a few portrait session buy a sekonic L358 flash meter and learn to use it...will at least make you look more pro than you want to be and who knows you may find that you love this so much that you'll quit your day job, tell the wife and kids you're becoming an artists and we may have to make a few cuts here and there:D:D to survive...but we'll all be happier than we've ever been before.............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Take what you have an learn to use it ..........well......
    WARNING:
    Now for the worst part..... 1-what are you going to charge your clients........remember that you will be taking clients from the PROs in your area so please do them the justice of NOT giving away your abilities and work.....under cut a little at first (15-25% no more).....You may not feel like your a Pro but your clients will expect pro work so charge for it.....do not charge the walmart portrait prices....Your equipment deserves to be treated better than that.....it will wear out aand need to be replaced or repaired.....

2- IF you continue to grow and get better more and more people will start calling from word of mouth....it happens....especially to those that swear up and down I do not want to go full blown pro....it is just a hobby....all of a sudden the schedule is solid portraits from the time you leave your real job until bedtime and damn I forgot to eat....soory I was late dear, but the session took a bit longer they were a cute couple but the Rascal Scooters kept getting in the way...you know they just weren't able to walk.........rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifor I was trying to hide a tat that the girl did not want her mom to see in the senior pics.......and it was emblazened across her forehead....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif......

One must look at photography like another skilled job out there...lets say Heat and Air....if you call your local AC Dealer and they send out a service man do they tell you if he just graduated from vo-tec .....nope an they charge the same per hour for a new hire as they do the old know it all geezer.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    awesome, truly awesome, advice breakdown. I really appreciate it. My true love is landscape/nature/travel photography (since what had me love photography since a child was going through my dads national geographics every month). But I have no problem with learning everything about portrait work..it intrigues me honestly...and the only reason i havent tried to take it more seriously is my own hangups, and insecurities.

I will definitely sit with everything offered here, and try to make a solid plan.

thanks all!
    -=Ren B.=-

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    awesome, truly awesome, advice breakdown. I really appreciate it. My true love is landscape/nature/travel photography (since what had me love photography since a child was going through my dads national geographics every month). But I have no problem with learning everything about portrait work..it intrigues me honestly...and the only reason i havent tried to take it more seriously is my own hangups, and insecurities.

I will definitely sit with everything offered here, and try to make a solid plan.

thanks all!

Get a roll of seamless. Its about $50. Figure out how to hang it from the ceiling, if you can't then break down and fork out for stands.

I can make other cheap equipment suggestions too.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Get a roll of seamless. Its about $50. Figure out how to hang it from the ceiling, if you can't then break down and fork out for stands.

I can make other cheap equipment suggestions too.

Ohh and I love the Scott Kelby Digital Photography Series (he has 3 books now) they cover setting up an inexpensive studio and getting great results. They also cover all other types of photography.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures