exposure, flash question

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Technique
I am still such a noobie! I feel I should already know this..... but I want to know how to use these two functions ( or what the difference is) the speedlite adjustment , more flash, less flash and the exposure adjuster 0 or -3 etc. on camera..... It's early, I have not yet had enough coffee to recall the proper names ! lol
Thanks in advance!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Hi, Trudy! This might help you http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/8-flash-exposure-comp/ Tons of stuff on his space. I have his book also. It's pretty much singularly helped me understand my flash.

I wish I could drink some coffee lol. But I have insomnia and haven't slept all night and I have to cover a homecoming later 8pm-midnight. I'll just live vicariously through your drinking coffee -_-
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Hi, Trudy! This might help you http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/8-flash-exposure-comp/ Tons of stuff on his space. I have his book also. It's pretty much singularly helped me understand my flash.

I wish I could drink some coffee lol. But I have insomnia and haven't slept all night and I have to cover a homecoming later 8pm-midnight. I'll just live vicariously through your drinking coffee -_-

Thanks a bunch! The first few months I had my speedlite I only knew how to turn it off and on, and how to attach it to the camera. I can't believe it worked as well as it did !!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Neils site IS awesome...generically speaking though, I always thing of those + or - signs as :

Add + if I want it brighter

Add - if I want it darker

on camera or flash~
    tom wise
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I am still such a noobie! I feel I should already know this..... but I want to know how to use these two functions ( or what the difference is) the speedlite adjustment , more flash, less flash and the exposure adjuster 0 or -3 etc. on camera..... It's early, I have not yet had enough coffee to recall the proper names ! lol
    Thanks in advance!

You may want to get a copy of the HOTSHOE DIARIES by Joe McNally....great book on Hot shoe strobe use.....

Also check out STROBIST ...... a great site for learning to use HOTSHOE STROBES .....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Neils site IS awesome...generically speaking though, I always thing of those + or - signs as :

Add + if I want it brighter

Add - if I want it darker

on camera or flash~

x2

+ for brighter images.
    - for darker ones.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Neil of PlanetNeil has book out on Amherst Press (available on Amazon) called "On-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography" that is rather good. It covers a lot on using the flash, bouncing it to get softer light, and setting the exposure by using the LCD and Histograms.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited October 29, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Neil of PlanetNeil has book out on Amherst Press (available on Amazon) called "On-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography" that is rather good. It covers a lot on using the flash, bouncing it to get softer light, and setting the exposure by using the LCD and Histograms.

Thanks Andrew!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
    edited October 29, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    You may want to get a copy of the HOTSHOE DIARIES by Joe McNally....great book on Hot shoe strobe use.....

Also check out STROBIST ...... a great site for learning to use HOTSHOE STROBES .....

Thanks Art, I actually have Joe's book, but sometimes such a basic answer is hard to find right off the bat. Just starting to dog into the Strobist site.
    Trudy

NIKON D700