Outdoor Event Photobooth Setup

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 25, 2009 in Technique
Today I had an honor to cover 1st Annual Stride for SIDS - a charity event (5K Walk/Run) that took place in the beautiful Elysian Park in LA, not far from Dodgers stadium.

While the pictures from the event are nothing to write home about, I wanted to share my new booth setup I tried for the first time:

#1: The place for the booth was set amidst other vendors (most importantly, close to face painters:-):

691219999_QApdb-L.jpg

#2: You can see my brand new banner (made this week, used for the first time:-). The rest is still in progress of setting up....

691219558_akozW-XL.jpg

#3: The unsold "station fire" images worked rather nicely to attract people. So did my older landscape prints from UT, AZ and CA.
My assistant Kevin was manning the booth when I was away, greeted people, answered the questions, passed away business cards, etc.

691220755_s22Ci-L.jpg

#4: Here's a "studio view". I built a "cube" from two racks and extra spanners and oriented it with the background and lights facing South.
This way Sun could only make my BG even more white (which was fun, since I already flooded it with the help of two AB800 on the sides), and worst case scenario, it could play a hair light - which was also OK and accounted for:

691219789_z5YUK-L.jpg

#5: Another studio view:

691220139_5epDV-XL.jpg

#6: As a result I ended up with an easy to control and relatively decent High-Key setup, as shown here on the example of my assistant Kevin:

691219585_v6Xnw-XL.jpg

HTH

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Wow - that's a really clean set-up.
    I assume you had power available as I think I see cords, but no batteries?
    Care to share some insight to your on-site workflow? Are you doing on-site prints, order taking, or on-line sales? And most importantly, was there enough business to make it worth the effort?
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Hi Nikolai,

Thanks for sharing this. I do have a question or two. What were you charging for photos? Did this help bring in any other business opportunities with the exposure? How many photos did you sell?

I didn't see any printer so I am assuming you were to mail photos to clients?

Did you use any on camera flash?
    Thanks!!

Sam
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Ross, Sam - thank you for commenting!
    Since your questions covers same areas I hope you don't mind my asking in one place.

First of all, I must confess - financially it was a total zip. It was charity walk/run event, people came, ran, got the medals and took off. I spoke to the other vendors (there was about a dozen of them) afterwards - NOBODY sold anything. So I guess the $10 I miraculously made in the very beginning when I was still testing the setup made me a King of the Hill. Considering a 100 mile drive.. mwink.gif Anyway, it was for charity, I tested the setup, "broke in" new assistant, made sure new copy of 7D is working fine, so I'm not at all bitter:-) Plus there is always a chance of post event sales (even if very small one, since the attendance was very small this year, too:-)

Power: we were lucky to get the AC from a nearby utility house. The access to the power it was actually request by the organizers, since they needed power for mikes, amps, etc. However, both sound crew and myself had backup systems: they brought two generators and I brought fully charged Vagabond II, which, in my experience, would work just fine with only three lights for a few hours (I typically turn the modeling lights off outdoors anyway). Anyway, power was not an issue.

On-site printing, etc.
    No. The delivery system was via SM. People were supposed to pay a small sitting fee ($5) and then they would have a week to get their pictures off SM at discounted prices.
    I now think that maybe I should have eliminated sitting fee completely, but my gut tells me it wouldn't make too much difference, I'd just to have to work more:-)
    Still, as I said, two ladies paid the sitting fee price, hopefully they will purchase something online, too.

@Sam: on-camera flash? You mean, for candids? No, I didn't, there was no need for that. I still managed to get a few decent shots of the performers:

#1: Molly McCook:

691228870_RngzS-XL.jpg

#2: Samantha Boscarino (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2679233/):

691237764_mMENz-XL.jpg

#3: Gari Geiselman (13 y.o. country music prodigy http://www.mycountryspace.com/GariGeiselman):

691239304_MWU7Z-XL.jpg

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"