back to the corn fields

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in People
had a family shoot today (or yesterday I guess, after midnight here...) A few of my favs so far

Meet Madi, she's 2. at first she didn't want her parents to put her down, then at the end she warmed up and wouldnt stop running around! fun stuff.
691657433_X4Vnx-L.jpg

691658211_Kpyy7-L.jpg

691659078_Grpv4-L.jpg

691656430_ncVuX-L.jpg

691659653_XGNC9-L.jpg

691658607_Cozw3-L.jpg

ok that's all for now, goodnight dgrin-land!

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Cute! Two is super hard age to capture! You did a great job! They chopped down most of our corn backdrop last weekened. I like the last shot the very best :)
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Very nice, Melissa thumb.gif Out of these, #3 jumps out for me, personally.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    3 for me, also! I like 4 and 6 too. What processing are you using - these are yummy! Great light, great shots - nice job! thumb.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    GREAT shots!! Cute girl, that is such a hard age! 2 and 5 are super wonderful!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    1/3/4 are my faves of the group. Skin tone and lighting are wonderful.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    nr3 is super sweet!
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    What a great set...She is BEAUTIFUL & GORGEOUS eyes! Glad she warmed up to the camera for you. Hard to choose a fav (love the treatment you used in #3 & #4) but she is just too cute peeking through the corn stalk in #5.

Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Obviously she warmed up to you pretty quickly and really let her personality shine. She is adorable and you did a great job of catching her personality and beauty. Wow, look at those eyes! Beautiful.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thank you for the comments! This was my second official paid shoot, I am really happy with them so far! it was a gorgeous day out, but the sun was blaring down and there was not a cloud in the sky, and in the cornfields there was a lot of dappled light....it was a tough one! And man, I thought my 3 year old was tough...geez..I couldn't get this little girl to hold still for longer than about 2 seconds. The processing in 3&4 is my new favorite lightroom preset that I made up, it's sort of a split tone. I have no idea how I came up with it, but i really liked the results so I saved it.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Thank you for the comments! This was my second official paid shoot, I am really happy with them so far! it was a gorgeous day out, but the sun was blaring down and there was not a cloud in the sky, and in the cornfields there was a lot of dappled light....it was a tough one! And man, I thought my 3 year old was tough...geez..I couldn't get this little girl to hold still for longer than about 2 seconds. The processing in 3&4 is my new favorite lightroom preset that I made up, it's sort of a split tone. I have no idea how I came up with it, but i really liked the results so I saved it.

I quite like the set,,,, mostly.

#3 I struggle with... I find that the blown out (or nearly blown) leaves on the stalks, insist on getting my attention. headscratch.gif
    #1 is my fave. thumb.gif
    edited October 26, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    The processing in 3&4 is my new favorite lightroom preset that I made up, it's sort of a split tone. I have no idea how I came up with it, but i really liked the results so I saved it.

Oooo... if you figure out how to save and share it, sign me up for a copy - it's yummy!
    edited October 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oooo... if you figure out how to save and share it, sign me up for a copy - it's yummy!

any idea how I would be able to send you the preset? I will gladly do it if I figure out how!!
    edited October 26, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I quite like the set,,,, mostly.

#3 I struggle with... I find that the blown out (or nearly blown) leaves on the stalks, insist on getting my attention. headscratch.gif
    #1 is my fave. thumb.gif

Thank you D'Buggs! Do you mean in the top left or the dappled spots on the leaves to the right? i sort of liked the sun in the frame on the left. I have a wide variety of running shots though, but this one struck me the most.
    edited October 26, 2009
    Presets live in

"your user space"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets

If you right mouse on the preset, and select show in explorer, it will come up.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 26, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Presets live in

<user space>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets\User Presets

If you right mouse on the preset, and select show in explorer, it will come up.

is it the same concept in mac-world?
    edited October 26, 2009
    One would hope. I assume you have something like a AppData directory (I think it defaults to hidden in Vista). But either way, you should be able to right mouse on the preset and select show in browser/finder/explorer... FWIW, I'd be curious to see what the settings are as well.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 26, 2009
    ok so I couldn't get a screenshot type but I was able to export the preset. Andrew and Diva, pm me your email and i'll send the preset to you.
    edited October 26, 2009
    sent :)
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Thank you D'Buggs! Do you mean in the top left or the dappled spots on the leaves to the right? i sort of liked the sun in the frame on the left. I have a wide variety of running shots though, but this one struck me the most.

The dappled ones, CR.
    The way their lined up leads me right into the subject and I do see this as good comp.... I just *think* that the comp would be stronger (much stronger???) if they were less brilliant/more subdued. I don't have a clue what you're doin' in LR but again, I *think* they could be toned down a bit in your post work.

You're subject is darker than these lit up leaves, and the eye tends to go for the brightest of the brights, and the darker of the darks - I fixate on the field of corn, looking for more within it. IMHO she needs too stand out more.

Now this could just be a "nit" or it could be more,,,, or maybe it's just my hang-up - I dunno. ne_nau.gif
    But I do know, when compared; I like #1 much better. thumb.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Thanks. Funky contrast curve.... I'm trying to understand how the changes all work together. BTW, you saved the WB as part of the preset, you may not want that or some/all of the exposure compensation included. Do you?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 27, 2009
    Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but thanks for sending! thumb.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Thanks. Funky contrast curve.... I'm trying to understand how the changes all work together. BTW, you saved the WB as part of the preset, you may not want that or some/all of the exposure compensation included. Do you?

I've had to tweak the exposure, I should've just saved the preset without it. Each time i've played with this preset I haven't changed the WB, something to think about when I use it. You should be able to update it though right? yeah it's funky...Honestly I don't remember how I came up with this, I just remember thinking I liked the results so I saved it!

Diva-you're welcome, post a pic when you get a chance to check it out!

D'Buggs-thank you for the detailed comments, I totally see what you mean. I will go back and see about toning down the bright spots. :)
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    I've had to tweak the exposure, I should've just saved the preset without it. Each time i've played with this preset I haven't changed the WB, something to think about when I use it. You should be able to update it though right? yeah it's funky...Honestly I don't remember how I came up with this, I just remember thinking I liked the results so I saved it!

Diva-you're welcome, post a pic when you get a chance to check it out!

D'Buggs-thank you for the detailed comments, I totally see what you mean. I will go back and see about toning down the bright spots. :)

I had to keep my WB/Exposure settings else it came out more sepia that your examples, but the net effect is very milky sepia. Thanks.

20091023-250.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 27, 2009
    oooooooooooh I like it!!
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    oooooooooooh I like it!!

Me too -looks great!!!!
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks for enabling its production. I don't think I'd have ever ended up here on my own...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

Don't bother on my account
    > It's your image and if you feel it's fitting, that's all that matters. You could very well be visualizing this photo differently than I.

Gotta say that I like the action you created; It made Andrew's port, as well as your series,,, eye candy. clap.gif

Don't lose it!
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Very cute. thumb.gif I especially like #3 because it looks as if she is "slapping hands" with the cornstalks as a pro athlete would do with fans as they are entering or exiting a stadium.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

OH me 3! =)

*scratches head* these are sooo good! leaps and bounds I tell ya!clap.gifclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited October 27, 2009
    D'Buggs- I haven't had a chance to go back to it yet, but do know that your input is appreciated. It's the little things that make a difference, and thank you for pointing it out!

Andrew, you're welcome.

Molly and Daniel- Thanks guys! :D:D

Daniel-pm your email and i'll send it to you