Options

Sabbath Wars

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited October 25, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Been away for a while, peeking in occasionally. Hello people! Glad to see this new photojournalism section on Dgrin!

Jerusalem Sabbath Wars have resumed yesterday after about a month of silence. This is something from when they began ...

6-June-2009, Jerusalem – Thousands of ultra-orthodox Jews demonstrated today opposing the directive given by Jerusalem Mayor, Nir Barkat, to open the Safra parking lot on the Sabbath.

556317357_8a5g9-M.jpg

556312138_ZQNME-M.jpg

556310257_ivHAM-M.jpg

556302499_hzaiK-M.jpg

Municipal parking lots have been closed on Saturdays, the Jewish Sabbath, for years, corresponding with a status quo between the secular and religious communities of Jerusalem. The Safra parking lot, located under City Hall at Safra Square, serves the downtown Jerusalem area as well as thousands of visitors and tourists in the Old City. The move to open the parking lot on Saturdays corresponds to Barkat's line opposing religious coercion and in an attempt to offer a solution to the extreme parking problems surrounding the Old City and the Jaffa Gate. Trying to control religious outrage the municipality decided not to collect fees for parking on the Sabbath, as opposed by Jewish law, but diplomatic efforts were not successful.

556279211_8PQYL-M.jpg

Rabbi Itzchak Tuvia Weiss, head of the ultra-orthodox community was quoted this week saying "We will light the city on fire for the sanctity of Jerusalem!" and he did indeed light a fire in the hearts of his followers. Thousands gathered on Shivtei Israel Street, near the parking lot entrance, chanting "Shabbes, Shabbes!" (Sabbath) at the top of their lungs as well as "Nazis!" to policemen. The Jerusalem Police exhibited great restraint in light of extreme verbal and physical provocation until the order came down the ranks to disperse the demonstration. In summary; six policemen injured, one injured photographer and seven demonstrators arrested.

556274288_dsS3Z-M.jpg

556272069_4dWvS-M.jpg

556267515_RmyH5-M.jpg

556281627_Z65z7-M.jpg

Sidenote: Images displayed shot solely with Canon G10. After months of greatly enjoying this camera it disappointed shooting under rapidly changing conditions and events; very slow zoom in/out reaction, very slow to impossible shooting in rapid succession, burnt highlights. Shooting at this demonstration may have caused an unrepairable dent in my G10 love affair...

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    Hi, Nir wave.gif; good to see you posting again.

It is fascinating to see the ways the ultra-orthodox try to interpret ancient scripture for modern life. When I visited Jerusalem, on sabbath the elevators in our hotel were set to run continuously and stop at every floor. Presumably, it was OK to ride them but not push any buttons.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hi, Nir wave.gif; good to see you posting again.

It is fascinating to see the ways the ultra-orthodox try to interpret ancient scripture for modern life. When I visited Jerusalem, on sabbath the elevators in our hotel were set to run continuously and stop at every floor. Presumably, it was OK to ride them but not push any buttons.

... and by the time you reach your destination floor it's already Sunday rolleyes1.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    Nir wrote:
    ... and by the time you reach your destination floor it's already Sunday rolleyes1.gif

nod.gif Fortunately, the hotel only had four floors. mwink.gif