Dumb MP question

skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited October 26, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Canon G9. 12 MP. When I use my pics on line etc. they're just too big. Will lowering the pixel count on the camera have any effect on this? Or, will it just create more noise at higher ISO settings?
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to changing the pixel count?
I'll bet that was clear as mud.
Lyle
Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    skysailor wrote:
    I have a Canon G9. 12 MP. When I use my pics on line etc. they're just too big. Will lowering the pixel count on the camera have any effect on this? Or, will it just create more noise at higher ISO settings?
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages to changing the pixel count?
    I'll bet that was clear as mud.
    Lyle

when you say they are too big..you mean viewing size or file size?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Viewing size.
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    You can resize pictures in imaging softwares like Photoshop, Digital Photo Pro, Light room etc. If you have smugmug account you get option to view smaller size photos too.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-photo-sizes

Yes lowering pixel count in camera will help you, but you will lose crop and print size advantage. I recommend Shoot at Max MP in camera resize it later in computer. Only good reason to shoot at small MP in camera is to save memory.

I think noise level remains same headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    The simplest photo editor I've used with good results is Picasa.

You can get a plugin for smugmug that uploads right from the software, and you can choose the file size that is uploaded.

I keep the originals on my pc, and upload resized pics to the web. thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:
    The simplest photo editor I've used with good results is Picasa.

You can get a plugin for smugmug that uploads right from the software, and you can choose the file size that is uploaded.

I keep the originals on my pc, and upload resized pics to the web. thumb.gif

I agree about Picasa, and I use Irfanview as well. Both are capable of resizing, but Picasa has one of the best image rotation tools in the business.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    I don't know how you're posting them online, but I would never go to the trouble of resizing for the web, I'd use the online service to do it. For example, SmugMug can display just about any size on the fly, no need to create a separate file for web viewing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    skysailor wrote:
    When I use my pics on line etc. they're just too big.

The basic "problem" is that your G9 pics come out of the camera at 4000x3000 pixels. If you don't change that, they're too big for any monitor. Your monitor is probably not even close to 4000x3000 pixels. My laptop is only 1440x900. 4000x3000 is a great number of pixels for a large print, though. That's why they give you that many.

But for a web page, you probably want 800x600 pixels or something like that so that it doesn't take over the whole screen. Does that mean you should shoot at 800x600? Well, only if you never want to use the pic for anything better. A 4x6 print should have 1200x1800 pixels at 300dpi, for instance. This is why most people don't change the camera. They take the full size pic and size it down for different print sizes and for the web.

But because you are on Smugmug, DavidTO's suggestion is the best. Take the full size pic. Upload the full size pic to Smugmug for safekeeping. Then let Smugmug do the downsampling to various display sizes and various print sizes. For example, let Smugmug store the 4000x3000 version, and use the custom URL feature to show an 800x600 version on the Web.

You can also resize manually with Picasa or Photoshop or whatever, for your own local use like home printing or emailing. But it is still best to shoot and keep the full size camera version so you never find yourself short of pixels because you turned down the camera resolution too far.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Windows XP has a Resize Picture PowerToy. This is a vista capable replacement:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

I use the XP PowerToy all the time. This tool is easy, right click on your images and resize.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8