Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited November 5, 2009 in Cameras
Anyone have any experience with this lens?

I was thinking of adding some equipment and was originally looking at the Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8. Very expensive in comparison. Besides the image stabilization is there a difference in other performance qualities?

edit: Sorry, the other lens is a Sigma.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    Dave, I edited the thread title to include the Sigma name.

I tried 2 copies of the previous version, the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 EX DG APO HSM AF (before the "Macro" version) and I found an odd "ringing" in the high-contrast portions of the images at f2.8. This effectively reduced overall image quality at f2.8, but was fine at around f4 and smaller. Others have, and love, the lens, so it could have been sample variation or it could have been corrected with the "Macro" version.

Since I needed a lens that performed well at f2.8 aperture, I wound up purchasing another lens instead. (In my case, the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM)

Here is my test, with images:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24116&page=5

I have a very old Sigma 70-210mm, f2.8 APO, that compares well against the Canon "L" glass, but the old lens is incompatible with Canon digital-SLRs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy. I read the thread you linked. Very informative and quite a range of opinions. One thing I learned is that, no matter what lens I decide to purchase, some initial testing is in order to make sure I get a good copy! That, and buy from a good source.

You still happy with sigma4less?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 25, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy. I read the thread you linked. Very informative and quite a range of opinions. One thing I learned is that, no matter what lens I decide to purchase, some initial testing is in order to make sure I get a good copy! That, and buy from a good source.

You still happy with sigma4less?

I just bought 2 - Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes from them a month or two ago. They are very nice to work with and the orders are shipped promptly. I give them 2 thumbs up for anything Sigma related that they carry. Their prices on non-Sigma items tend to be just above the best prices (from other reputable vendors), but still very competitive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just bought 2 - Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes from them a month or two ago. They are very nice to work with and the orders are shipped promptly. I give them 2 thumbs up for anything Sigma related that they carry. Their prices on non-Sigma items tend to be just above the best prices (from other reputable vendors), but still very competitive.

Thanks Ziggy
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I'm one that has the newer Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro lens and like this lens.
    It would have been nice to have an IS version of it but you can't beat the price for quality of it.

I use it on my Canon 50D primarily at night in bars/clubs where the band I work with is booked, but I have also used it in daylight outside on a few walks with my dog.

Auto focus can be a little slow, and it may hunt in low light conditions. I usually use the manual focus in those conditions. I also had to fine tune the focus in the Canon 50D settings a little. If I remember it was back focusing a little.

• crayzphotographycrayzphotography Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I have purchased 2 copies of this lens and both were outstanding. My first copy was my first non-kit lens and it changed my whole perspective on why good glass costs money. I highly recommend this lens! There is a lot of talk about good and bad copies but I am 2 for 2 right now with sigma so I have no reason to doubt them yet. My only concern is I do get some lens flare when I am careless, but I cant completely blame that on the lens. Good luck!

Josh
    Nikon D90
    Tokina 12-24 4
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 II
    http://jhphotoblog.wordpress.com
    http://www.crayzphotography.smugmug.com
    edited October 26, 2009
    Zimtok wrote:
    I'm one that has the newer Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro lens and like this lens.
    It would have been nice to have an IS version of it but you can't beat the price for quality of it.

I use it on my Canon 50D primarily at night in bars/clubs where the band I work with is booked, but I have also used it in daylight outside on a few walks with my dog.

Auto focus can be a little slow, and it may hunt in low light conditions. I usually use the manual focus in those conditions. I also had to fine tune the focus in the Canon 50D settings a little. If I remember it was back focusing a little.

Thanks Zimtok, I think I'll start doing some testing as I've seen is some of Ziggy's posts in the past. Seems like a good idea to do right out of the box. I hadn't thought about it before.
    edited October 26, 2009
    I have purchased 2 copies of this lens and both were outstanding. My first copy was my first non-kit lens and it changed my whole perspective on why good glass costs money. I highly recommend this lens! There is a lot of talk about good and bad copies but I am 2 for 2 right now with sigma so I have no reason to doubt them yet. My only concern is I do get some lens flare when I am careless, but I cant completely blame that on the lens. Good luck!

Josh

Thanks Josh, it's nice to hear others experience before taking the plunge.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Have you looked at the Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens?
    edited October 27, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    Have you looked at the Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens?
    No actually I haven't. I currently have a 17 - 50 2.8 lens. So I was looking at both the Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 and the 70-200 f/2.8 ranges to try and cover a broad range of focal lengths.

I'm not really sure though how much difference there would be from missing the 50 - 70 range vs the 50 - 80 range.

Are you currently using the Nikon 80-200? If so how do you like it?
    edited October 27, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    No actually I haven't. I currently have a 17 - 50 2.8 lens. So I was looking at both the Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 and the 70-200 f/2.8 ranges to try and cover a broad range of focal lengths.

I'm not really sure though how much difference there would be from missing the 50 - 70 range vs the 50 - 80 range.

Are you currently using the Nikon 80-200? If so how do you like it?

I am looking into one myself, but no, I have not used one yet. Probably going to rent one and the next few weeks.
    When do you plan on making your purchase?
    edited October 27, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    I am looking into one myself, but no, I have not used one yet. Probably going to rent one and the next few weeks.
    When do you plan on making your purchase?

I'm actually a month or 2 away from it. Just doing the research now.
    I keep looking at all the buzz about the new Nikon II that's soon to be released and see some pretty nice testing results. But ... I really can't afford it.
    Let me know how your rental goes.
    edited October 27, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I'm actually a month or 2 away from it. Just doing the research now.
    I keep looking at all the buzz about the new Nikon II that's soon to be released and see some pretty nice testing results. But ... I really can't afford it.
    Let me know how your rental goes.

Will do, I will send you some OOC shots if you like. I am a tad more harsher on my opinion on camera gear. So, if I like it, that says a lot. mwink.gif
  • trevortrevor Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I have this lens (Canon version). It's not bad. Canon's 70-200 f/2.8 is sharper but is also significantly more expensive.
    edited November 5, 2009
    trevor wrote:
    I have this lens (Canon version). It's not bad. Canon's 70-200 f/2.8 is sharper but is also significantly more expensive.
    Thanks Trevor. I'm still mulling it over and waiting a bit to see what happens to the Nikon VR I version pricing.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I have a superb copy of the Sigma 70-200 and love it. My Nikkor version is used as the backup for this lens.

I also like the 80-200mm, but it has been relegated to my fun glass. I won't pull it out of the bag when money is on the line.
    Steve

Website
    edited November 5, 2009
    I have a superb copy of the Sigma 70-200 and love it. My Nikkor version is used as the backup for this lens.

I also like the 80-200mm, but it has been relegated to my fun glass. I won't pull it out of the bag when money is on the line.

Holy cow Steve! I just checked out your gear list. That is quite a line up!

Thanks for the info.