Options

In search of red, orange and yellow

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in Landscapes
A few shots of fall colors around RI/MA. Comments and constructive critique welcome.

1. 3 shot hdr
4035627505_7831775534_b.jpg
2.3 shot hdr
4038056925_87205fe717_b.jpg
3.single shot tonemapped
4038805060_a4fff525c1_b.jpg
4.3 shot hdr
4038915674_9449b58bab_b.jpg
5. no hdr
4038167301_dd5db3c661_b.jpg
6. 3 shot hdr
4040418784_a077d55472_b.jpg
7. no hdr
4039668151_09bd1bc031_b.jpg
8. 3 shots stacked and auto blended in CS4
4043047609_fcb2d7c0e0_b.jpg
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• Options
    ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    I really like 1,2,&5. Colors are really great! What is that in the middle of the water of #2?
    Larry
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    ridgemac wrote:
    I really like 1,2,&5. Colors are really great! What is that in the middle of the water of #2?

Thanks! It is the remains of an old mill from the early 1900's. They dammed a river to create the reservoir.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Like the comp in the first, the colors in the fifth, and the mood in the 8th! Nice series!
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    #1 and #3 are just great Bryan. I really like the tonemapping result. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Dangit, DGrin had a shart that blew away my reply, but I went through it once so I thought I tried again.

You asked for constructive criticism, so I figured I'd offer up some from my view.

On image #1 to #3, it looks to me like you focused on HDR and not the composition. They're colorful, but not interesting. There's nothing to really hold my attention.

Image #4 I really like. The symmetry between the dead trunk in the foreground and the tree in the background is great. If this was intentional in your composition... great job! If not... note it... it's nice. And there's a lot going on that can keep interest and encourage the viewer to explore.

Image #5 has potential. Personally, I really like the red trees and the reflection. If it were me I'd probably crop tighter to encourage the viewer to spend more time exploring that. And slice off the left 1/6 of the image or so, as it's a bit uninteresting with some dead space.

Image #6 again is really a focus on HDR versus composition. It makes me say "Nice colors... OK what else is there going on here... not much... OK."

Image #7 is very nice. I like the (barley?) with the colored leaves captured in it. It's a great start to the photo. The lake in the background would be a nice balance, with some calming and reflections. Unfortunately, there's that scraggly branch in the upper left corner that's distracting. Unsure what you can really do about that, but I think with a little re-composition this could be a great shot.

The last image is my favorite of the bunch. I really like the colors, the contrast, and the texture of the leaf. But the brown spot in sorta just off center is distracting and pulls my attention off what I consider to be the focal point of the image: the diagonal line. If it were me, I would crop this one square, basically chopping off the right 1/3 of the photo. Then you'd focus the viewer on the important subject, get rid of the distraction, and IMO it would be quite pleasing.

Note these are just my views, but you did ask for constructive criticism, so I figured I'd add some. And thanks, Dgrin, for making me do it TWICE :P
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Beautiful photos, but #7 is my favorite. I love the look of fall grasses and with the water in the background -- its just wonderful thumb.gif
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    nice series, but i like #8 the most. nice texture, color and artistic oomph.thumb.gif