Attempting People

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 27, 2009 in People
I am not really a people photographer. I feel much more comfortable in sports, or other cool shots. I have even done stints in wildlife. But, in order to be an all round shooter, I drag out the stuff and take a go at it.

My "models" are never very cooperative - I get the dad, cut it out a lot. But sometimes, luck gives me a few shots that I like.

I am not digging the reflections on the frames behind, but dont know how to eliminate them. Perhaps more separation from the seating position and the bookcase.

C&C is welcome.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    And the outtake! I like that their expressions are the same - I wonder what I said!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    You know, whether or not these pass muster as "technically perfect" portraits, I think you've got some great personality shots there, and ones you'll enjoy down the line!

I REALLY like the one of your son - that lighting is niiicce. In fact, if you ever wanted a more formal portrait, I bet you could easily crop that one down to him only and lose the bg - it's a really nice catch of him! thumb.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    The lighting looks great in the photos. They look really sharp. Only issue I'm having is that, the background is too sharp for this kind of portriture. There is some merging, etc. Basically, the subject is too close to the background.

In regards to your flash glare, you need to get the reflection out of the family of angles. You can do this by (a) moving your lights, (b) moving your camera, or (c) adjusting the angle of the pitcture frames. Best way to do this is to look through your camera and if you see your lights in the glass, you know it will be captured by the sensor. Move them until you don't see your lights anymore and there you have it.

Undertanding the family of angles is critical when shooting reflective surfaces such as glass, metal, water, etc.

When shooting portraits it's imperative to make a distinction between the subjects and the background. You may want to use a hyperfocal calculator. It will not let you down.

Great work, and keep it up. Portrait photography is very special and intimate. Every photographer should know how to shoot portraits.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nice warm shots with excellent focus. Some separation from the background is warranted, but it is part of the picture as well.

It is nice to see such a family relationship.

All the best,

Tele
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Great images! Very genuine! And nice lighting, too!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    That's great stuff Z.

I especially like the mother/daughter shots.....both of them.thumb.gif

...and FWIW....I REALLY suck at sports shooting!:D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nice stuff. In particular 1 & 3.
    Thanks for sharing these.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

+1...for the above. As I scrolled down and your first shot came into view, I was actually wowed by the quality...not often seen here.

Yes you could add a little blur...Photoshop will let you do that, if you think it's necessary...I can go either way. Sometimes I don't like to blur the background, depending on the reason I'm shooting.

Your lighting is very nice. Posing and skin tones look great. A lot of portrait photographers would like to be able to take images of this quality.

Thanks for sharing. You should be doing this for a living...

What were you using for lights, lens, camera etc...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Well I'm a lot like you. I do motorsports and other non people stuff. With my first grandchildren (twins) I'm getting the pressure. So I've been experimenting (and spending)

As a side note, the requests have been a mother lode to satisfy my NAS problems.

I think you shots express genuine feelings (unposed?). I have some comments.

The last is the best. Look at you composition and consider a similar crop on #1.

I agree with the "bokeh" comment. You need subject separation (with blur) from the clutter.

Your daughters lighting is perfect (IMO). Perhaps the shadow on your sons face could be lightened. I think the dynamic range could be reduced. Maybe with a thin kraft bag over a 100w bulb in a lighting fixture moved to balance natural light more evenly.

Good luck with people (we both need it...:D)
    Rags
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nice thumb.gif
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Thanks for all the kind comments. Since I have learned so much here, I am pleased to be able to share what little I know about lighting.

Here's the set up:

I pulled the chair out from the corner and put it in front of the bookcase. I think its slightly away, but no real separation, maybe a foot. Two flashes, a 580ex with stofen diffuser behind and pointing down from the camera right, and a 430ex shot through an umbrella at 45 degrees forward and up from the tip of the nose.

Camera was a Canon 50D with the 24-105 lens about 55mm, f8 @ 1/60th manual. Auto focus, with focus point set on someone's eye. I was about 8 feet away, so I judge the DOF to be about a foot. Flash fired by the STE2, recommended here by many (and I think built into the 7D).

For the lighting on my son, I had him there and he sat still for about 15 seconds. I ran around and set it all up, but forgot to turn on the rear light. So since this is all ETTL, the single flash automatically dials up the power to compensate, blowing out the face somewhat, but a little post and its a useable picture.

I always enjoy the discussions here and see such marvelous stuff. Its a treat to get some decent shots off. I do better with longer times to setup and more trial and error.

Like this:

I am always amazes that there are such great photog's here, who deliver such great photos so consistantly. It seems so effortless, but I am keenly aware there is much skill involved.

All the best,

Z
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I like them all but the lighting on your son is great.
    Dale Childress
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    That's the same setup I use on location portrait shoots ...it works great...got a shoot coming up around Thanksgiving...on location...and I'm sure that's the setup I'll be using. I have a third speedlight for fill if needed...

Thanks for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed