Options

**WCC (Weddings Challenge Contest) #3: WEATHER OR NOT***

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited November 27, 2009 in Weddings
Ahhh nothing better than loading your gear into your car on a beautiful day! Not too hot and not too cool... soft breeze and some big fat fluffy clouds in the sky. But, unfortunately we all know those days don't happen every weekend!

Topic of the month is "WEATHER OR NOT" and Im looking for the times when the weather tried to not corporate. Rain, snow, heavy winds, etc. We all can handle wedding shots on the perfect day, or just bring it inside when weather is bad but it takes a dedicated story teller to take what mother nature throws at us and makes it an advantage. Key here is going to be using the less than perfect weather as a key element to the shot.

I hope this makes sense! If not post and I will attempt to clarify.

For those who don't know, the rules are listed here. Deadline for submission is end of day November 22nd.

I'm really excited to see what you guys post!

Matt
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    Departure Monsoon
    This photo always makes me laugh. Why is the bride (holding my umbrella) talking to the limo driver (sitting inside and dry)? Isn't he suppose to hop out and open the door for her? I love Seattle weddings! :D

349356860_fjdCV-M.jpg
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    You want wet? You can't face WET!!
    The wedding was carefully planned for what was supposed to be a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, lakeside, in Glacier National Park, in Northwestern Montana. Well, maybe it wasn't quite so carefully planned, because there were no provisions made for even the possibility that it might rain. And it didn't rain - it poured. And poured. And poured. rolleyes1.gif But thanks to the fact that the groom and many of the guests were helicopter repellers for the National Forrest Service - the crazies who repel our of choppers to fight forest fires - and the bride was a Texan, which is to say everyone hung on to his or her sense of humor. And thanks to the fact that I was shooting with Olympus equipment that is terrifically weather sealed, a great time was had by all - and there are photos to prove it! rolleyes1.gif

565516186_L6Hf8-XL-1.jpg

You can see more here.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    We didn't realize that it would rain until the day before, which I asked the bride to try to get together as many black umbrellas as she could. I brought several of my own and my assistant had to hold a bif golf umbrella overme while shooting. :) I think they are unique rain shots. Something you have to expect in Washington State.

529413212_LBp7y-M-2.jpg
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Well... I'm not sure how to say this without sounding rude, so I'm going with rude. Thanks crystalpix for posting, but you should at least browse the rules... this isn't show-n-tell this is a contest. If you want comments on multiple images, please start a thread. Otherwise edit your post down to 1 image and it will be considered for the contest.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Crystal-PixelCrystal-Pixel Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Well... I'm not sure how to say this without sounding rude, so I'm going with rude. Thanks crystalpix for posting, but you should at least browse the rules... this isn't show-n-tell this is a contest. If you want comments on multiple images, please start a thread. Otherwise edit your post down to 1 image and it will be considered for the contest.

Matt

Oopsie! My bad :) I chose one.. I will make sure not to do it again. So sorry!
    Crystal Saly

My Smug: www.crystalpixelphotography.com
    My Site: www.crystal-pixel.com

"I'm in love with my Canon.. & lovely L Lenses..."
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Don't Wine Over the Rain
    696479078_c5F7k-L.jpg
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2009
    Here is one of mine:

434413721_UMfCk-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    The Long Veil on a Windy Day
    I don't have anything from rainy days, but I do have this great shot from when the bride's very long veil got taken up by the extreme wind that day!

697943373_Apf6i-L.jpg
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Rainy day wedding on the coast in Maine. LOVED working with this couple given the conditions because they didn't mind getting wet.

719030100_d8U2Q-M.jpg
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Outside wedding with nowhere to hide from the rain...by the time we got to the formals, they could have cared less if they got wet!

619769004_oVXQV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Heather--that is such an awesome photo! Your clients are way braver than me! Burr!
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Umbrella Romance
    408228581_Y4tF9-L-2.jpg
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    The day was not only rainy, but sooo hot. My lenses kept fogging up. This was in Houston, at my dear friend's wedding. A lovely bridesmaid:

705401273_KXtMA-L.jpg

Caroline
  • Options
    mikecccmikeccc Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Run its only rain
    110-P.jpg
  • Options
    Tara CamfieldTara Camfield Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2009
    A Rainy Walk
    The bride and groom and I got separated from the rest of the bridal party while shooting portraits inside. We decided to walk the few blocks to the reception location; then realized it was raining. Luckily I always bring an umbrella along! This was my favorite shot; the bride's happy but bewildered expression as she glanced back at me and the groom oblivious to everything but her beauty.

713614174_HCtJQ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Sweet capture, Tara!
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Hey there! Lots of good stuff here so far! Just a reminder that the final day for posting images to this thread is Sunday the 22nd, so don't wait too long!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Well, it wasn't pouring the instant I took the shot, but like 3 seconds later ... one of my favorites from my season :D

718504193_oT6dE-L.jpg
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    I had been hoping to enter a newer photo, but the weather cooperated with the bride and grooms. This one is from earlier this year. It had been raining and 35 degrees all day, but after the sun went down (and after the ceremony) the temperature dropped and it started to snow very lightly. We snuck out quickly (it was really cold) to grab a few shots....
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Congratulations Mishka!!!! AWESOME image!!! 1st place
    Mishka wrote:

619769004_oVXQV-L.jpg
    Welcome to dgrin Tara. Please post more of your work here for us to see. Something tells me we would all enjoy it. This shot is lovely and I give it 2nd place

713614174_HCtJQ-XL.jpg

The master at work here eh! Great image BD! Very BD-esque. This one gets 3rd place.
    bdcolen wrote:

565516186_L6Hf8-XL-1.jpg
    Well that's it! Mishka, you do the next one so get a'crackin! Great images everyone and I will make comments on every image posted at some point today.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    Congrats Mishka, Tara & BD Colen clap.gif
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    The wedding was carefully planned for what was supposed to be a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, lakeside, in Glacier National Park, in Northwestern Montana. Well, maybe it wasn't quite so carefully planned, because there were no provisions made for even the possibility that it might rain. And it didn't rain - it poured. And poured. And poured. rolleyes1.gif But thanks to the fact that the groom and many of the guests were helicopter repellers for the National Forrest Service - the crazies who repel our of choppers to fight forest fires - and the bride was a Texan, which is to say everyone hung on to his or her sense of humor. And thanks to the fact that I was shooting with Olympus equipment that is terrifically weather sealed, a great time was had by all - and there are photos to prove it! rolleyes1.gif

565516186_L6Hf8-XL-1.jpg

You can see more here.

omg nice wb did you do anthing to this or is this srtight out of the cam. Gr8 work!
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    The day was not only rainy, but sooo hot. My lenses kept fogging up. This was in Houston, at my dear friend's wedding. A lovely bridesmaid:

705401273_KXtMA-L.jpg

Caroline

Not sure this will help, but if its hot and the humid factor is high pack your camera with a few hot water bottles in a backpack "nuke them" if it is very hot. You can not and will not fog up till the glass temp goes below the highest temp, like next to an eye. headscratch.gif

I was in surgery and a doc was very upset that his loupe's kept fogging up. it was a consent thing he was made to endure for years. He always kept his room temp in the low 60degs. I told him his problem was condensation. He angrily told me "whats new stupid".

I informed him that he need the glass loupes to be warmer then the vapor temp from his eye. "You just need to warm up our loupes with your hands or the blanket warmer before the case."
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif Yes doctor.. He even asked me how long would he need to warm the loupe.

To this day, all the surgeons warm loupes and glasses to prevent fog.
    This will also help your lens stay clear from haze formation on lens surfaces.

If you come from a air conditioned room all night- warm up your lens.

eek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    Alright! Well first off let me say thanks to all that posted images here. I think this is a great thing we are doing here. Lots of fun! I will say that I did have some opportunities to shoot some rain shots at the end of an e-session a few weeks ago and it is tough! Getting noticeable rain on film means its raining and raining good! I learned that much anyways, and massive respect for those who really captured that in their images. You may notice that the rain show up in many of these images against a dark background.

So anyways here are my comments for each of the images. These are simply my opinions so take them as that… 1 man’s opinions.

Quark
    This image is well exposed and certainly is a memory for the bride. Comp is a little lacking with most but not all the limo. I think I would have liked to have seen the whole limo, or more likely just enough to see it is in fact a limo and a bride. I think the limo dominates the composition and the rental truck behind is distracting. A close crop may make this a more powerful image. Not bad as it is, just not “wow”.

BD
    This is a really great image. The exposure and processing are just perfectly natural. I assume this is ambient light, but if you used flash then it is perfectly transparent. I love your control over depth of field to keep all the overhead chaos of umbrellas and garbage bags in focus, the rain definitely adds to this image and the story it tells, and to top it off all this occurs on a must have money shot at any wedding. Really great. The only thing that doesn’t appeal to me 100% on this image is I would like to see a little more of the bride and the scene. To a client looking at the whole set, they would almost certainly not feel that way, but as a standalone image that to me is a flaw on an otherwise perfect image. If it were my image I would have cropped out the Nautica logo on the umbrella, but that is me. I don't expect you crop things out too often! Thanks for posting this here BD, and please keep participating in this contest. Very inspiring work.

Crystal
    I like the image, and I like that they are all using your black umbrellas. Lots of smiles on their faces despite the rain, and it was raining hard I can see! Only thing I really don’t like is the lack of fill on their faces. A little bit of flash would have gone a long way here with the back lighting and umbrellas shading their faces.

Blurmore
    Nice image Jason! I think I have seen you shoot in this vineyard a few other times right? Her dress is throwing me off a bit color wise. I really like the pose, the comp is mostly good but I don’t personally care for the tilt here. I think it is the triangular patch of sky, and although I see some rain on the umbrella, the rain doesn’t otherwise add to this shot. Great image though.

Heather
    Nice shot. Obviously hot on their left sides but that doesn’t detract from the image IMO. I love that the flash caught all that snow and I like the water spots on the lens. IMO with an image like this, where you don’t see faces, you need to in some other way invoke emotion. Here I don’t really get what they are doing. If that is a train to the right, then that would have been a good secondary subject maybe, but as it is now it kinda looks like they are admiring a snow covered parking lot. I seem to remember some snow pics you did of a groom and his groomsmen that were just stunning…

Shima
    Great catch Cat! Obviously a seat of your pants shot. Wider this would have been stellar, but I can only imagine you were zoomed as wide as you could go on this one. Also her face seems a little diffused like maybe you did a little too heavy a dodge there, but maybe that is her veil over the front of her face? Either way, a great image, and a great heads up catch.

Ssimmonsphoto
    Your image is gone friend. Maybe you deleted it or maybe a tech difficulty but not there on judging day so it wasn’t considered in the contest.

Mishka
    Great image girl! Obviously pouring rain to everyone looking at this pic and obviously the subjects are unaware. Girl on a stump in front of an old wood porch, leaning down kissing her man, relaxed arms with flowers down, not a care in the world, classic looking dress and tux, and heavy contrast b&w… money, money, money!

Shudderz
    Nice image, nice pop to your processing, great location. Only thing I don’t like is the tree. I think this would be a stronger image placing the tree way to the left or shooting in front of the tree. Other than the umbrella, the rain doesn’t do much for your image. Bearing in mind that all these vertical images on my screen are about 2”x3” and if there are subtle rain drops I may just be missing them.

Caroline
    That poor girl! This is probably about as unattractive as she could ever look. Captured in digital infamy for the enjoyment of generations… good job! The ultimate blackmail photo. It is a good catch, and obviously rain is a big part of the story of this image. Good job!

Mike CC
    Great image! Obviously showing a dash from the church to the Limo and a happy couple. A little flashey for my taste but a great image and I’m sure the family will treasure this one forever.

Tara
    I like it. Almost looks like Milwaukee, is it? Anyways, I like how you set the subject off center just enough to catch the bank mutual sign, I love her expression, I love how the groom is helping keep her dress clean. You caught both of their faces even though they are obviously walking away. Very nice image!

Agnieszka.
    Great shot when we have the “just before bad weather hits” challenge it will be a winner for sure! Ha! Gorgeous sky and location. Processing is very nice other than a scooche heavy on the vignette maybe, but that is a small nit. This is a beautiful image for sure.

Tenoverthenose

Cool stuff Patrick. I love the comp, and the location. To me the flash is too heavy on the b&g, but I know we have different tastes in that regard. Great image though, and certainly true to your style.

OK, off to bed for me. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    Ssimmonsphoto
    Your image is gone friend. Maybe you deleted it or maybe a tech difficulty but not there on judging day so it wasn’t considered in the contest.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Ah, shoot. Well, I fixed it. Darn me for uploading the gallery after I submitted that shot. Wound up changing the file name. :cry
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Congrats to the winners, huge thanks to Matt for taking the time to judge and critique, and I look forward to the next round.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Yay Mmatt! Awesome critique! Thanks so much for investing your time and helping us get into your head! I love that!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    Wow, thanks mmmatt! I hadn't checked dgrin in a couple of days, so this was a nice surprise! Congratulations Tara and bdcolen! Now I've got to come up with a topic...
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    Wow, thanks mmmatt! I hadn't checked dgrin in a couple of days, so this was a nice surprise! Congratulations Tara and bdcolen! Now I've got to come up with a topic...

much deserved Mishka. One of many very fine images we have seen from you. Thanks for posting it and I'm looking forward to your theme for December!!!

Heather/Ten, glad you appreciated the comments. It is tough when the images are all so good. It is particularly tough when people (like yourselves) who's work I can only aspire to rival are in the mix. Quite intimidating actually, but I have opinions about what I see and I guess that is what this is all about!

I put together a little multi-category 1-5 ratting thing to pick my winners but it was so close on my number system I ended up going with my gut for tie breakers. There were 5 or 6 here that could have easily been justified as winners. Really great stuff posted for this one! I felt obligated to let people know what I was thinking and what I liked about their images. These are all treasured images by the respective clients I'm sure.

Thanks again for all who posted.

Matt
    My Smugmug site