More wetness

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited October 30, 2009 in Holy Macro
Some more wet macro shots. Many have been pharted in PS (manipulated heavily in photoshop).

Brian v.

Raindrops in spiderweb on fallen leaf

4046087878_223183a306_o.jpg

Above shot pharted using solarisation

4046087882_5b4ced5d9c_o.jpg

Raindrops in spiderweb on fallen leaf pharted using inversion and faded fractalius filter

4046087886_4fcef41482_o.jpg

Flower cascade - same setup as a previous post but having found the web was unoccupied I partially collapsed it

4041401833_877673563a_o.jpg

Raindrop refractions

4046087892_edfb652c53_o.jpg

Dewdrop refraction

4046087894_5a9bff4ba9_o.jpg

Comments

• Captured ExposureCaptured Exposure Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I like the last 3 the best. The first ones to me is a little bit messy. The last ones have a nice color and much more aesthetically pleasing.
    Some more wet macro shots. Many have been pharted in PS (manipulated heavily in photoshop).

Brian v.

Raindrops in spiderweb on fallen leaf

Above shot pharted using solarisation

Raindrops in spiderweb on fallen leaf pharted using inversion and faded fractalius filter

Flower cascade - same setup as a previous post but having found the web was unoccupied I partially collapsed it

Raindrop refractions

Dewdrop refraction

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 26, 2009
    very nice, does show the clear difference between rain drops and completly spherical dewdrop:D
    phil
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks for the comments :)
    Brian V.
  • CapularisCapularis Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009

4046087886_4fcef41482_o.jpg

I like this one the best - very graphic and other-worldly.

I am wondering if you have ever provided details on your techniques, Lord V. - your bug and 'wet' photography is fantastic. You should start a blog or a website!
    Capularis

Splendor awaits in minute proportions.
    E.O. Wilson
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks Capularis :)
    Lots of info in how I do shots etc in the discussion items here http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/

The above shot is just a high mag focus stack of some water drops trapped in a web and then played with in PS as described.

Brian v.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I agree with Capularis. They are all striking, but I find the third one by far the most interesting visually.

I have never used inversion and had not even heard of the fractalius filter before. Have you posted this image anywhere without those manipulations? The comparison would be instructive. On the other hand, I can see why you might not want to post something that is incomplete.

Dan
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    #2 and #3 are my faves.

You have to stop posting these or my wife is going to get very upset with me for spending money on an MP-E 65... :D
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • CapularisCapularis Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Thanks Capularis :)
    Lots of info in how I do shots etc in the discussion items here http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/

The above shot is just a high mag focus stack of some water drops trapped in a web and then played with in PS as described.

Brian v.

Thanks, the flickr items were very helpful.
    Capularis

Splendor awaits in minute proportions.
    E.O. Wilson
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thanks again for looking and commenting :)

Dan - Worth trying to phart shots you are not entirely happy with or ones where you know some treatment will bring out more of what you were trying to capture. I don't have a complete untreated version of that shot but you can get an idea of what it looks like from #1 - it was a higher mag shot of the the two water drops on the LHS of that pic. Fractalius is an add-on plugin (commercial) that helps strengthen textures and lines.

Capularis - glad you found that useful - if you have specific questions then post them in the Q/A thread or pm me directly.

Brian v.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,953 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    Love the shots and the term "pharted." I'm gonna use that one for sure. thumb.gif
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Brian,

many thanks

Dan
    edited October 29, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Love the shots and the term "pharted." I'm gonna use that one for sure. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard :)

The originator of the term Phart was appropriately enough a guy called Rudiman on DPreview :)

Brian v.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,953 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    The originator of the term Phart was appropriately enough a guy called Rudiman on DPreview :)

lol3.gif
  • Carmelo75Carmelo75 Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Brian, I really love shot #3! I am usually not fan of heavy PP, but in that case, the shot and processing goes bejond photography, it is just some sort of art thumb.gif!

I would see it printed on a 2x3m panel at the entrance of some modern financial building...

Carmelo
    edited October 30, 2009
    Carmelo75 wrote:
    Brian, I really love shot #3! I am usually not fan of heavy PP, but in that case, the shot and processing goes bejond photography, it is just some sort of art thumb.gif!

I would see it printed on a 2x3m panel at the entrance of some modern financial building...

Carmelo

Thanks Carmelo - I was rather pleased the way that came out.
    Brian v.